Any Spokane folks out there?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salish1300

Reaction score
My Cal Bears basketball team just got into the NCAA tournament and is playing Hawaii in Spokane. I'm looking into getting a ticket and considering riding my bike out there. The forecast is clear for Thursday and Friday, but freezing at night. Any local riders have advice on the suitability of riding into Spokane this week from the wet side? Is it black ice until noon or something? Local beta appreciated.

I think if you get over the pass ok then the rest should be easy. We just came over stevens pass and it was snowing from the west tunnel portal to Cashmere.

I think if you get over the pass ok then the rest should be easy. We just came over stevens pass and it was snowing from the west tunnel portal to Cashmere.
I figure the pass will be the most questionable, but not having ridden out to Spokane before I'm concerned about black ice and known hazards. I used to live in Boulder and I knew that if the temps were in the 20's you could be guaranteed slippery conditions on I70.

We are beyond the black ice time. The only thing I would watch is the pass conditions. The lows for the next 2 weeks are at or above freezing and that usually occurs around 0600. Any after dawn riding will definately be above freezing and smooth sailing. I just did a 100 mile ride today and was in heaven. It helped that it was my first real ride since getting my 2015 ES. I'm a Husky but I root for any westcoaster if mine are not involved. Go Bears. (Makes me a little itchy to say that, Ewww). Wouldn't mind meeting a fellow FJR rider.

Horsefly

OK, I'm committed! Just bought a ticket and will be on the 4:45 am ferry off Bainbridge to get to Spokane by around 10am for an 11am game. Will hit the pass about 6:30am and hope it is not frozen solid. Forecast is low of around freezing, but cars driving over usually warm up the surface a bit and there won't have been precipitation since Wednesday. Dry and cold will be fine.

If you east side folks see a dude on a red 2014 sweet FJR, it's Salish1300!

Happy to report that it was a great and easy trip. The pass was dry and clear and I found some wonderful twisties out East. 260 and 261 were lovely. Camped at Palouse Falls State Park, which is just a parking lot near a great falls, but the camping is fine. Lots of slab on I90, but still fun. Game in Spokane was disappointing, but the overall journey was wonderful.

It is such a joy to be cruising down the slab doing 80mph, in the flow of traffic, and have some hot rod come up on you and threaten your space, and to instantly accelerate from 80 to 95 in a flash to get away from danger. What a machine!

Latest posts