Any Yamaha XS/XJ 1100(any model) Yamaha riders on this forum?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I proudly rode an '80 xs1100 for 25 years. Bought it new. Gave it to a kid for his 2004 high school graduation present (after lengthy discussions with and permission from parents) and he rides it to this day. My wife (got her a year later, gotta have your priorities straight, right?) and I loved that machine - plenty get up and go and comfy. I went temporarily insane and bought a v-twin to replace it - can you say DUMBA$$! The magic of an in-line four is what brought me to my new fjr - :fans: here's to riding it a quarter century as well.

spklbuk

I had a 82' & 83' Suzuki 1100E. Had better mid-range power than the Yammy.GAWD those were great bikes in those days.

Don't have one now, but I'd bought a Yamaha XS1100 in 1978, the first model year when they were offered. It was only the second bike I'd bought new.

The best thing I liked about that bike was that it just ate up the road miles and was very stable, a wonderful tourer. :D It was also the bike I courted my future wife on. Finally sold it after a couple of years to a guy who later crashed it at the local drag strip. <_<

It was a really cool machine in so many ways...

Had a '78 E model that I bought in '89. I called it my Poor Man's FJ. Sold it just after buying my FJR back in '03. It was a great bike, had a Tracy fairing, Progressive springs in front and shocks in the back, blue/black paint job, Brand X 4-into 1 exhaust. I recall getting stranded one time when the wires to the advancer broke, but that's part of the adventure. Got loads of information off the XS1100.com website. Wonderful motor, absolutely smooth, and made deceptive power.

Now I'm getting sad.....

Oh yeah, got an '82 Maxim 1100 in the garage, project bike.

Hi guys..... Got a XS1100G in my garage! Bought new in 80 ...fork brace...S&W rear shocks...K&N bars...160MPH spedo...oil cooler...nek'd...miles>31k Has not been on the street in a loooong time, I would love to get it back on the road some time! >>>Who makes the best tires for the STD. today?? I love my 04, but the XS pulled like a train for it's time!!

Had two up until a couple of years ago. Both of the 1978 standards fully dressed

I attend the XS east rally every year for the past 5.

It is getting close to rally of the former owners of XS XJ

Always the last weekend in May.

I have a 78 XS1100 that I bought brand new and have owned since. It currently has 110,000 miles on it. Still runs fine. I ride it occasionally to keep it alive. Mostly it just sits in the basement.

Mine has had a variety of dress but ended up set up a lot like an FJR as a period sport tourer. Color matched Vesco RabidTransit faring and a set of Samsonite bags with the triangular shaped mouting brackets that allowed the bags to be removed easily. Still one of the most secure bag mounts around and certainly the easiest to remove.

The XS1100 has been to Alaska several times up and down the Alkan twice and in most every state in the US and province in Canada (including Newfoundland). I used to have a lot more time to ride....LOL.

It is surprising how much similarity there was from the XS1100 to the FJ1100 and FJ1200 and even to the FJR 1300. I think the FJR 1300 final drive casting could bolt onto the old XS1100 if you drilled out the boss (that is still there) for the shock mount.

Funny thing...when I bought the XS1100 I rode it home in a snow storm. When my 03 FJR finally came in I picked it up and rode it home...in a snow storm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my red XS1100 Special at the same dealer that I later bought my FJR from.

Dropped out of college and used all of my hard-earned savings to buy it. I later visited and moved in with friends down in Oklahoma City- ONE MONTH LATER that baby was stolen from an apt. complex parking lot :angry:

I loved that bike. Now I have moved on and replaced those feelings with my love for the FJR.

Here's an older picture of my XS1100. Still looks exactly like this.

2000835842980157976_rs.jpg

This is a picture of it on the Alkan HiWay circa 1981. Needless to say this was a miserable ride thru this particular construction zone in the rain. You can tell this was a long time ago....I still had hair.

This day in the mud created two interesting stories. One, I fell down in the mud, knocked the oil cap off the main oil gallery and spent the better part of a day effecting a backwoods repair. After we got rolling the road dried up and we picked up the pace. Starting smelling burning rubber. Kept stopping. Finally figured out that there was so much dried mud packed in the front fender the tire was rugging against it as it grew at speed. Had to take the fender off and chiesel the mud out.

2000850472639602418_rs.jpg

A few years later near Hyder, Alaska. Rode 50 miles up a two rut logging road to get above the glacier. Always wanted this picture....LOL.

2000893631788904783_rs.jpg

Jestal,nice picts.Hyder's off the Cassier Highway,isn't it? I was up in there on my 82' suzuki 1100E. Hadda blast. Looks like you did too. What oil were you usin? :D

I had a 1982 XJ1100. When I got my FJR, I didn't spend much time on the XJ, so I sold it. Great bike, a little cranky to start up, but always ran like a champ.

I had a '79 XS Eleven Special that I bought from a friend. Didn't make it too far because 2nd gear went at 94k. Yes, 94 THOUSAND miles. I think I got to ride it about 3 months.

I then found a super clean '83 XJ900R Seca that I rode from '88 until Aug '02 when I picked up the FJR.

Bought it with 8k and sold it with 22k. Let's see....14k in 14 years. I already have 21k on the FJR in 4 years. I never was much into street back then, being an avid dirt rider. Today's another story.

Here's the Seca the day I sold it in '02.

03-7-523-52.jpg

The guy I sold it to, totalled it within 24 hours.