Anybody heading to the Oyster Run?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Reaction score
I haven't been in years. Thought I'd meander up to Anacortes via the back roads. I love to people watch.

Anyone?

I haven't been in years. Thought I'd meander up to Anacortes via the back roads. I love to people watch.
Anyone?
On your way up to Anacortes stop at Conway for some casual people watching. We will be there sometime around 11:00AM.

We were in that area earlier this summer, and a friend told me about Mt. Erie. Nice little side-trip to a spot with a great view of the sound. In the picture below it's almost right in the middle of the map. Coming south on 20 (heading towards Deception Pass) make a right on Campbell Lake Rd. Take that about a mile to a Y at Heart Lake Rd (little store at the Y). Follow that about another mile to the sign for Erie Mountain Drive. Take it easy on this road (10mph), it's narrow, has some gravel, and very sharp blind turns - watch out for the folks coming down. When you get to the top you'll have a great 360deg view of the sound area.

Mt%20Erie.JPG

South view

South.JPG

Northwest view

Northwest.JPG

Hey, Snow! I always wind up in Conway! See you there if the weather is decent.

I've been to Mt. Erie many times. We used to race our outboard hydroplanes at Hart Lake (the lake just west of Mt. Erie).

Anacortes has really turned their city around. It's pretty nice these days. Lots of custom & historic murals.

Anyone?

Having grown up here in Cheeseland for the last 40 years, a place that has an Oyster run sounds like an interesting place to live next. Have a safe run. :D

you guys are makin me jelllis! thinking bout moovin back to B-ham do me a little chuckanut and head to the islands

OysterRun Reportout

Just came in and uploaded some photos I have never seen this many bikes... 10's of thousands..

Great day lots of food and things to see....

oysterrun010.jpg

oysterrun009.jpg

oysterrun007.jpg

oysterrun004.jpg

oysterrun003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Picture links don't seem to work. I thought the Oyster run was always the last weekend in Sept. I have been to every one until this year. Used to wear ear plugs all day. :)

As I have posted elsewhere....

I got there about 2:20pm. Rode from Monroe, Hwy. 2 to Sunnyside Blvd. (a real sweet farm road) to Marysville, along Marine View Drive through the reservation, through the Seven Lakes area to I-5, I-5 to Conway (stopped for a latte), Conway to Hwy. 20 & Anacortes via those windy farm roads.

Cops all over the place. My sweet little Cobra radar detector picked up every one of those guys. Cops had a lot of folks pulled over... both before & after. :ph34r:

Had some great strawberry shortcake. Lots of vendors... mostly selling leathers (assless chaps & vests). They had some real good deals on sports style jackets, ie FirstGear, etc. No armored leather sports pants. :angry2:

I decided not to join the Bandidos & all the other God & Jesus clubs. I really don't look good in obnoxious looking leather vests. Hey, but that's me. Anyway, lot's of bike's... cruisers, sport bikes & everything in between. Only saw 2 other FJR's... an '03 & another '04. Some real neat Hayabusa's... all painted up with mucho bucks in farkles. One of them had an open megaphone exhaust. LOUD!!!!! There was one bike with what looked like a small block V-6 or V-8. Hard to tell with all the stuff on it. Saw several thongs on sportbike pillions & lots of boobs stuffed in too small a vest! :dribble: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I left about 6pm. Lots of bikes heading home. Drove back through Conway, across I-5 to Lake McMurray & Hwy. 9. South to Arlington for a Mickey D burger and a pit stop! South again to the Granite Falls cutoff. Toured Granite Falls (for about 4 minutes), then south on the back roads to Monroe.

Cloudy weather in the early afternoon, bright & sunny for the trip back.

For all of you that stayed home & mowed the lawn: :p

I think I saw you as we were leaving.. I was stuck in the middle of about 80 HD's, as you flew by.

The crowds were okay, but the guy working on the drag bike was a jerk.. He was surrounded by about 100 people and started the thing. Do you know what it feels like when you get of a lung full of nitrous exhaust.... Eyes burn, chest burns, and people were walking around blind tripping over each other.... Of course I was about 5 feet from the exhuast when he lit it off....

It was kind of strange to have that many bikers and no fights... (except for the 40 person line to the sanicans) It's funny how having to wait when your body is telling you otherwise can be annoying and set you off when you would otherwise be sane. I heard it was a little old lady that took on the Bandido and won....

From Northwest Cycle News;

I am really not sure where to begin with the Oyster Run this year. My son and I went and it was, as it always is, a lot of fun. We saw many, many unique and interesting bikes and an even greater quantity of more unique and more interesting people. I am not sure which is more entertaining; looking at the bikes or watching the people.

Our day started early as we rode South to Conway to meet up with a group of VTX owners from VTXOA. Departing Conway we took back roads to Anacortes. The ride was, for the most part, uneventful. At one point our group had become split up due to a car in the left lane and vintage BMW in the ride. Instead of being patient and letting the traffic sort itself out, one of our group blasted around me and the BMW on the right shoulder of Highway 20. Not cool and I told him so when we arrived in Anacortes.

We arrived in Anacortes at around 9:00 and, although we had arrived earlier than my previous Oyster Runs, the street was surprisingly empty. I suspect that the morning fog might have caused some to wait until later to make the trip. My son and I enjoyed the uncrowded sidewalks and vendors. I bought him a proper riding jacket from Love’s and walked the length of Commercial Avenue looking at bikes and watching a steady stream of riders arrive.

Having completed one loop, the boy was hungry so we stopped for brunch. A 40 minute wait found us at a window table observing the sidewalk traffic and parade of arriving bikes. Another 40 minutes found us tucking into a nice brunch.

By the time we got out of the restaurants at about 11:30 things had definitely picked up. The boy wanted to see the Seattle Cossacks show so we shuffled our way down the crowded sidewalks to 5th Street and found a spot on the curb. On the opposite curb a photographer was setting up a photo shoot with a scantily-clad (PG-13) model. Guys were lined up two-deep within minutes.

The Cossacks put on their usual great show, after which I talked the boy into sitting on one of the Cossack bikes for a photo. I guess he’s starting to get a little too old for such things but he humored Dad anyway and I got a nice shot.

By now we were ready to get out of town. My son wanted to make the loop up and down Commercial on our way out so we saddled up and I practiced my low speed maneuvering and pedestrian avoidance skills for about 30 minutes to go down and back on Commercial.

So it was a nice day. The weather certainly cooperated and I did not see nor hear of any disturbances. Unfortunately two riders were killed in accidents on roads in the region

Great day but the temp was 47 when I left my home at 8AM. Ride back was nice & toasty 66. Only saw 2 FJR's and didn't get a chance to talk with either. We had a 48 Indian with us that drew quite a crowd. Fun day.