Anyone in Austin area with a tire changer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poorredman

Reaction score
Bought a set of tires online from Derby Cycles and was wondering if anyone in the Austin area has a tire changer that I could use (actually, that you could operate while I watch/learn since I've never changed tires before) in exchange for money, beer, or food? I'm not in any rush, could happen anytime in the next couple of months.

If not, I'll start calling around and see if any of the local shops let you bring in tires not bought there. Heard Cycle Gear does it. Any recommendations of shops that do a good job on tires? If all else fails, I'll go the Harbor Freight route.

Thanks,

Eric

I've got a tire changer, but Houston is probably a bit far. Back when I lived in Austin 5 years ago, I used TJ's Cycle on Lamar. They had a pretty decent price for wheels off changes and didn't have a problem with outside tires.

Central Texas Powersports is probably your best bet as it is right down the road from you. They have the cheapest tires in the area and used to be $20 per tire for install if you purchased from them.

TJs is $54 a tire on the bike and $43 if you bring the wheels. I only use them because they are less than a mile from my house.

Cyclegear on burnet and 183 has done wonders for me. Have found that those guys are always willing to help. Wheels off of course.

The Austin chapter of the Texas Sport Bike Association (go to the Austin chapters page) has a tire changer to use, but it requires a membership costing you a whopping $24 / yr. As a side benefit, you might meet some great folks whom like to ride! :)

HTH,