Anyone in San Jose?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguin1300

Reaction score
I will be traveling into San Jose, CA on Sunday 2/26/06 and am scheduled to be there until Friday. More specifically, I'll be in Cupertino, CA. I think Thursday may potentially be a completely open day for me.

If any of you are in the area, post up. I should have an internet connection once there and can check back in. If something opens up, I've already found the San Jose BMW rental and could get a bike/gear from them.

If you have any suggestions of places I need to see/go/eat-at, post up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooohhh! If you have a day, there are some really nice roads close to there. I'm from Sacramento, but I like the loop through Big Basin Redwoods.

From Cupertino head South to Saratoga, take Hwy 9 West, cross Skyline Blvd./Hwy 35 (Which runs North-South, 26 miles along the top of the coastal mountains with San Fransisco Bay on the East and the Pacific Ociean on the West, though you can't always see them)--a 4 way stop sign--and ride 236 through the park and it comes back to Hwy 9 @ Boulder Creek. Turn right on Hwy 9 to Santa Cruz. Go right on Hwy 1 and ride up the coast to LaHonda Rd./Hwy 84 and ride East to Skyline Blvd/Hwy 35. Alice's Restaurant will be on your left. Great food and a local hangout for motorcyclists. Trust me, there will be riders there to ask lots of questions about local roads.

You could go North on Skyline 13 miles to Left on Tunitas Creek Rd. down to Hwy 1, then go North to Half Moon Bay, East on Hwy 92, 5 miles to R. on Skyline/Hwy35 South along the mountain top.

I've been over there a couple of times and could spend a day on the roads between San Francisco and Santa Cruz. Beautiful country and scenery, and motorcyclists every day!

Just ride your own ride. There's no need to keep up with the "Ricky Racer" guys, I just let them go buy.

Heck, if you want a "longer" loop, you could ride Hwy 1 through Big Sur and past San Simeon (Hearst Castle) and Cambria, L. on Hwy 46 to 101 North and back to the bay area.

If you have AAA, go get a "Central California" and a "Coast and Valley" map. I'm sure the locals in the bay area would have better ideas of some of the roads, just watch out for the "goat trails" that some could recommend. :bleh: (That was a joke aimed at a "special person"!) Those are some that I really enjoy when I'm over there.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you'll page up to "Ride Reports" under the title "South of San Francisco", OrangevaleFJR (Andrew and Sherri) were just down in the area of Big Basin/Alice's Restaurant this weekeend and posted pictures. Really pretty and great motorcycle riding area.

Hey Penguin,

as you know by now if your in Cali we're getting pounded by storms. If your still renting please be carefull up in the hills ( if your following MM2 suggestion, these are some great roads when there DRY ! ), they have taken a pounding the last couple days. Mud and runoff and branches everywhere.

Another alternate in the east side of the valley is Mount Hamilton, ride over and across through to Livermore , and take the freeway back to San Jose. A tight narrow technical road ..so beware.