Anyone Know a good Goldwing Forum?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon T

Reaction score
I have enjoyed my FJR for 4 years. Rented a base Goldwing for the day. 200 miles later, the mrs was asking for more. I think I'm more into the touring part of sport touring and have my eye looking to move to that sphere. Would welcome any advice on where I can find similar support and info on the GW like I got on the FJR here. (I have a 2004 with Russel seats and a few extras that I'll eventually want to sell). Thanks.

Thanks to you both.

I don't know when I'll pull the trigger. The FJR has been great and is really nice on my daily commute. I can't imagine the GW being as nimble in traffic or in the parking lot, so not in a huge hurry to move on, but want to do some lurking on some sites to get smart on the different models, mods and pricing.

Jon

When I had my Wing, I frequented the GL forums for tech info and farkles... but I always stayed with the Sport Touring forums for the social stuff. Never hung around with "Wingers" or their events, wasn't into it. Of course, I used my GL for ST riding, not cruising like most of them do.

Hey Jon T,

Riding the Wing at slow speeds is not as bad as you might think. You just need to remember and use the slow speed riding technique of "counter weighting". I do have a Bandit 1200S also to commute to work with so its a good balance.

I think keeping the FJR for solo riding may work for you and buy the wing for two up riding/long distance solo riding.

If you go with a used GL1800, STAY AWAY from the model years 2001 through 2005 as they had frame cracking, among other, problems. Go with 2006 and newer. I had a 2003 GL1800 that had three recalls one of them was due to a cracked frame!!

Rob

Best forum is https://www.gl1800riders.com as someone pointed out earlier. As for the earlier years, they are fine as long as the recall's for the frame was done. My 03 had the frame recall completed and the welds are very beefed up. We rode this bike to Alaska and back pulling a trailer, 12,561 miles. Along the ALCAN highway and other places, we bottomed out numerous times and no frame issues. Just make sure the mode was done. The Goldwing is my wife's bike, I'm the driver. I still kept my FJR and my VFR as they are great bikes. I recently came back from the EOM and use this bike for solo trips. I like it much better than the Wing. The best solution is to keep both. ;) One for two up and one for solo.

I always get the warm fussies just looking at the Wing. Don't think it's my cup of tea but, it sure looks nice. Kinda like an Easy Boy Recliner on two Wheels. :rolleyes:

A friend of mine has one and he says the Range is God Awful on that thing. He says he doesn't pass too many Gas Stations withouut Stopping for Gas. Is That True? :unsure:

The bike can be excellent for it's targeted use. I've haad an 83 GL1100, an 84 GL1200, and a 98 GL1500se. The people are a mixed bag with a strong bias toward conformity.