April 14th, 2012 - NorCal meets SoCal RTE at Big Sur River Inn, Big Sur, CA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My plan goes something(?) like this.

. Saturday morning = leave home heading north around 7:00AM

. Get gas in Morro Bay at the Mobil on Harbor St. & "the One".

. Head down by the power plant (burning fossil fuel) for b-fast at the Le Parisiene Bakery.

After breakkie whekkie - head north on "the One" past Cambria to Sand Dollar Beach near the Plaskett Creek Campground on the Pacific Valley.

- Set my Sigma bike alarm for 10:00AM and take a short nap on the grass.

- Wake up and ride to the River Inn arriving about 11:30AM, get a table and order lunch.

Leave by 2:00PM to get home before dark to maybe make some glass stuff and actually produce something on that day?

- Did I forget anything? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to be there for this one (my first, please be gentle) I'd also like to camp Friday and Saturday. I didn't catch where the campsite is...Kirk Creek maybe?? :unsure:
https://classic.mapquest.com/maps?city=Cambria&state=CA&address=598+San+Simeon+Creek+Rd&zipcode=93428-1809&country=US&latitude=35.599499&longitude=-121.125544&geocode=ADDRESS Yo Geno, you are welcome to camp out with the San Diego Mooks! We are camping at San Simeon State Park. Mopsy, Flopsy, Cottontail and Thumper (aka johnny80's, Santa Fe Dreamin', pegscraper and Ms. Nascar) will be at the site by 5pm; Papa Chuy Viejo will roll in from Zonieland around 7pm.

I've got to warn you about camping out with johnny80s though, each morning he plays Reveille by farting it out! He does a great job, but I like reveille played on a bugle.

If you need exact location: 598 San Simeon Creek Road, Cambria, CA 93428. My cell phone is 480-440-4666. If you send a PM to Juan, he will give you all the cell #'s!

My plan goes something(?) like this.

. Saturday morning = leave home heading north around 7:00AM

. Get gas in Morro Bay at the Mobil on Harbor St. & "the One".

. Head down by the power plant (burning fossil fuel) for b-fast at the Le Parisiene Bakery.

After breakkie whekkie - head north on "the One" past Cambria to Sand Dollar Beach near the Plaskett Creek Campground on the Pacific Valley.

- Set my Sigma bike alarm for 10:00AM and take a short nap on the grass.

- Wake up and ride to the River Inn arriving about 11:30AM, get a table and order lunch.

Leave by 2:00PM to get home before dark to maybe make some glass stuff and actually produce something on that day?

- Did I forget anything? :D
Group Lunch begins at 12:30pm. The restaurant management says they will get us seated together. I will be sending out PM's for a final head count here soon!

https://www.intellicast.com/Local/Forecast.aspx?location=USCA0099 The extended 10-day forecast is sure looking good for this FJR Forum Big Sur Dining Event: 65 degree high and 45 degree low; with partly cloudy skies.

As long as those "Butt Nuggets" from Specific Northwet don't show up and bring their stinking rain with them! "Pops" Niehart and Gorgeous George: Keep that damned precipitation to yourselves!

I'd like to be there for this one (my first, please be gentle) I'd also like to camp Friday and Saturday. I didn't catch where the campsite is...Kirk Creek maybe?? :unsure:
San Simeon Creek campground. PM me and I will send you my phone number so you can call when you get there and I can tell you which spot we are in.

Hello,

If you are getting this PM, it means that you had indicated an interest in attending the Big Sur RTE at the Big Sur River Inn on Apr 14th.

I am collecting the final head count so the restaurant gets a more accurate head count of how many will attend.

I would greatly appreciate it, if you would please reply in the next couple of days, so I can send them a final head count so they can make the necessary arrangements.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Thanks much!

-Sam
Sam The Man, Papa Chuy Viejo's in like Flynn! Please don't seat me next to SacramentoMike, that boy is all hands! Seat me next to Old Michael, Mick's more my type! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

IMG_2515.jpg

So, it appears there are folks scattered all over on the south end of this meet up for a Saturday morning ride up the coast. I'm in Nipomo, but we have folks leaving from Santa Maria (I think), Morro Bay, Creston, etc. Might be nice if we could pick a time and possible meet up point to enjoy the ride up the coast. Typical meeting spot for us locals is the Shell Station at the north end of Cambria, right off the 1. Of course, with folks camping at San Simeon, that is just up the road from there and could easily meet there.

Regardless of where, a good time for a Cambria or SS State Park meet up would be around 9:00 or 9:30, which would allow an ample time frame to get to the River Inn by Noon, for the prescribed chow down at 12:30.

What say everyone?

Meet us at the campground. Don posted up his cell. I will post up the camp site when we get there.

I am not in charge of nothin so don't look to me for leadership. I'm taking the day off.

Puppychow

Fairlaner (If it doesn't rain)

Redtail + 1

Madmike2 (probably not)

Tyler + Erin

Khunajawdge (waiting for final RSVP)

SacramentoMike (waiting for final RSVP)

Johnny80s

TomInCA + Bugman

McRide

Hycle + Terri

Russperry

Pegscraper + MsNascar

fjrchik

Rmcobb

Duff

Malve + 1 ( waiting for final RSVP)

Highlander + 1 (waiting for final RSVP)

Santa Fe Dreamin

Marcusaurelius with Wonderdog (waiting for final RSVP)

beemerdons

MCML + 1

TreeDoc + 1 (probably not)

Cris + Bill (Beemers waiting for final RSVP)

John and Kathy (CAJW)

CBA El Presidente + First Lady (dcarvers)

Geno

Toecutter

Recreate
Wow! This gig reads like a regional gathering. Where's Skooter, Matt & Warchild?!

Meet us at the campground. Don posted up his cell. I will post up the camp site when we get there.

I am not in charge of nothin so don't look to me for leadership. I'm taking the day off.
Copy that. I figured it might be a herding cat situation (thanks for that Tyler :p )......and I despise herding cats, so it will be whatever it will be. I'll just plan on heading to SSSP on Sat morning picking up any FJR derelicts I run across on the way :yahoo:

Randy

The weather for that weekend is unsettled. Accuweather says Rain on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Still 10 days to go, but my final RSVP to the restaurant was due this morning.

I am still planning to go rain or shine, but I do not know if other people's plans will change if it rains. So far 33 people have RSVP'ed but that number might drop off quite a bit if wet weather prevails.

I talked to the restaurant this morning about that. This was something which got sprung on me, they wanted me to guarantee that 30 people will show up on that day for lunch, guarantee that with my credit card #, and if less people show up they charge my credit card $15 per head for the ones who didn't show.

So, short story is I was reluctant to guarantee them the number of attendees, so we may not all get to sit at one big table, but we are still welcome to show up, eat, drink and hang out in the restaurant's backyard by the river.

Rookie lesson learnt for me is that next time charge a refundable registration for events such as these. You show up and sign the attendance log - you get your registration money back. You don't cancel 10 days prior and don't show up, you forfeit your registration. Meh, probably not. Thanks for your feedback and understanding..

Thoughts? Suggestions?

This far out it is still a tough call. Closer in we can see what kind of systems are actually moving in the Pacific and how directly they might hit. Occasional rain and drizzle aren't going to stop me, but a forecast of heavy steady rain might.

This far out it is still a tough call. Closer in we can see what kind of systems are actually moving in the Pacific and how directly they might hit. Occasional rain and drizzle aren't going to stop me, but a forecast of heavy steady rain might.
Yes Tom. However, my final RSVP was due to the restaurant 10 days prior, which tied my hands.

I told them we are still coming, but I couldn't guarantee them 30 people as that number can fall prey to weather.

I will touch bases with them again 5 days before.

I think that not paying the non-refundable guarantee money was the correct call. I can see their side of things but only if they will be turning down other reservations to ensure room for our group.... or if they have to call in additional staff. I do not know the capacity of the restaurant but they are likely able to serve the number of people who show up at any given time plus or minus thirty. It's not as if we are hiring them to cater a gathering. All, most, some of us'll show up. If they can seat us altogether, fine. If not, fine. It's difficult to talk with thirty people over lunch in any case. If they can seat us at separate tables, fine. If not, well, we'll cope.