Arai RX7 Corsair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I have narrowed down my choices for a new helmet to either the new Multitec from Shoie, or the Arai RX7 Corsair. I have been able to find all kinds of reviews, and opinions on the new Shoie, but not a lot on the Arai. Does anyone have a RX7 Corsair, and if so how do you like it? I have heard they don't vent all that well, and can be rather loud. Any opinions or info would be great.

Thanks.

I have narrowed down my choices for a new helmet to either the new Multitec from Shoie, or the Arai RX7 Corsair. I have been able to find all kinds of reviews, and opinions on the new Shoie, but not a lot on the Arai. Does anyone have a RX7 Corsair, and if so how do you like it? I have heard they don't vent all that well, and can be rather loud. Any opinions or info would be great.
Thanks.
Yeah I have one. I love it!

P3230338.jpg

Ahh, you came to the right place...

1) Arai Sucks (IMHO all standard disclaimers apply)

1A) A certain Moto rag said bashed Snell ratings in favor of DOT, Arai pulled ads

1B) Sh!tty Sales policy

1B.1) Arai wouldn't allow internet sales, so I had to go into my local Stealer - Yah know the one w/ the kids working who don't know sh1t under the premise I'd get better service.

1B.2) Even when I went to the local shop that did know sh1t, they didn't stock cheek pads or liners to get the custom fit which was one of the main reasons they pitched the non-internet experience.

1B.Addendum) I was fitted by Bruce Porter* at a MC show, and then bought off eBay anyway

1C) Mine busted, and I couldn't get parts... <aarrggghhh>

1C.1) Side cover busted off before I left for a 6700 mile trip, no prob, nabbed one off of old Helmet

1C.2) Base kit busted during 6700 mi trip, had to hold on helmet with Electrical tape, (it was a b!tch, it was 40 out, so I would fog up when stopped, and then if I didn't get it closed right I was freezing my face. It was stop, close helmet, try not to breath, get moving.

1C.3)Frickin Base kits were backordered!!!!
I couldn't get parts for my Arai Helmet for over two months, this is the main reason I'm going to look elsewhere, a ~$700 helmet, and you can't get a base kit... And this was from the best Cycle Shop in the Twin Cities (Midwest Cycle)

2) Buy the Helmet that fits you

3) Wear earplugs, the noise won't be an issue (don't tell me you don't wear Earplugs)

I recommend ER6's or if feeling rich - custom molded Earphones from Marylin Navina

4) Apples and Oranges

4A)The Corsair is a race helmet, targeted towards the win on Sunday sell on Monday crowd. Sold on the premise that every helmet is built to the same standard... So you're buying a race helmet

4B)The Multitec is designed for comfort and convenience, <insert Multitec sales pitch here>

5) When in doubt refer to #2

I have a Corsair, it's a nice well built helmet, All bitching aside they build a good product...

(You'll have to decide if it's worth the premium price tag [oops that should have been a bullet point above])

All noted... As you can read above Arai has done a lot of Stupid stuff as a Company...

Would I buy another Arai... Not today, I can't wait for the MC show, as I am going to find me a new flip face helmet...

*Bruce Porter - Sales Rep guy from Arai - If you've seen the video with the guy and the tape measure and the wallet that is him.

-bvw.

Glad you asked, Arai is the last helmet I would consider purchasing.

My daughter has an Arai Corsair helmet I have an Arai Quantum; I paid over $600 for the Corsair.

In the first six months of owning the Quantum the mouth vent fell out during a ride and broke. My dealer installed a new vent without charging me.

A month later during a ride one of the top vents blew off the Quantum. Somehow I turned around and found the vent lying in the road. I glued it back on when I got home.

I have had several side plates break on both the Quantum and Corsair. This is probably because I use a dark shield during the day then change to a clear shield at night.

When I change a shield on either Arai helmet I use a technique the Arai sales rep taught me when he was at my dealers shop.

While changing a shield on my daughters Arai Corsair the side plate broke. This was the first time this particular side had broken.

So I dug into my box of Arai parts to get a new side plate. I have found with Arai helmets it pays to have lots of spare parts on hand, especially important when making a long ride is a roll of duct tape.

I tried to install a new side plate on her Corsair. To get the side plate to install even when using the silicon lubricant Arai supplies with the helmet I had to press so hard the side plate broke.

Next I took the helmet to my dealer who also could not install a new side plate without breaking it.

My dealer called Arai then sent the helmet to Arai to have a new side plate installed.

Arai has now had the helmet for more than two months and still hasn’t said when they will return the helmet.

When I send Arai emails asking them about the status of my helmet Arai doesn’t answer the emails.

From my experience my personal opinion is Arai sells an inferior product and has the worst customer service I have ever experienced with any company I have ever done business with.

If it were me I would purchase any brand of helmet before an Arai helmet.

Bill

Wow. Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to stay away from the Arai's, and stick with the Shoei. I have had a Shoei of one type or another for the past 10 years, and have not had a single problem. Now I will need to decide if I am going full face, or flip.

Again, thanks for the info.

I have one and love it. I've been buying my Arais from www.theservicepavilion.com. Great people to deal with, good pricing and they usually attend to Motorcycle Shows and provide custom fitting, which is well worth it. They also stock a bunch of parts for Arais, along with shields, etc, etc.

WOW, this just tells you that there are plenty different opinions on everything :D

I just got a new RX-7
Mikey5thBirthday0003-vi.jpg

Was a Shoei guy until I could not get a new Shoei to fit me right. Bunch of my friends already have RX-7 and swore by it. I haven't riden in it yet, but wearing around the house I like it so far. Plenty ventilation, sure more then Shoei. Fit is great YES you CAN buy it outside local stealer. I got it and there are plenty where it came from.

Yeah, the Corsair is loud due to being a racing helmet, but it's fit is 2nd to none! They are the best at ventilation IMO. I've raced with ARAI and is all I will wear. IMO they are the best and I've never had one thing go bad that wasn't crash related. A few here apparently have had a bad experiences and I can understand that. Bottom line is you have to get what fits you best. For me, it an ARAI! I have no affiliation with ARAI, and do not profit from them. I just prefer a quality helmet fitted to me and not one off the rack. People will argue about helmets (it's like tires), Get what's best for you!

Yeah, the Corsair is loud due to being a racing helmet, but it's fit is 2nd to none! They are the best at ventilation IMO. I've raced with ARAI and is all I will wear. IMO they are the best and I've never had one thing go bad that wasn't crash related. A few here apparently have had a bad experiences and I can understand that. Bottom line is you have to get what fits you best. For me, it an ARAI! I have no affiliation with ARAI, and do not profit from them. I just prefer a quality helmet fitted to me and not one off the rack. People will argue about helmets (it's like tires), Get what's best for you!