Arai Shield ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRski_2007

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new Arai helmet, I think the RS-Q or Vector 2. What do you all think about shield removal mechanism?

I'm looking to get a new Arai helmet, I think the RS-Q or Vector 2. What do you all think about shield removal mechanism?
I've heard more squawking about the Arai shield removal process. I've never had a problem removing the shield from my helmet. I've had a

Quantum f and two Quantum II helmets over the last 12 years and never had an issue.

Arai helmets are the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. Worth every penny.

Ditto to everything above by RacinRay!

I have a 4 years old Quantum II and am very frequently changing out between clear (and pinlock insert) and mirrored visors, and I have never had any problems with the system. It took a little getting used to, but basically just watching the Arai video does the trick, and you get very fast with a little practice. I personally don't see why the system has gotten such a bad rep over the years...

It took a little to get used to it and I can do it with the helmet on my head. If I have to. I very much like the friction and not having various fixed positions that the shield goes to.

But the design is an obsolete pain in the ass when compared to most of what is out there, especially when you change it at least twice a day for commuting.

Make sure to check out relative prices for shields between the various helmet offerings, too.

It took a little to get used to it and I can do it with the helmet on my head. If I have to. I very much like the friction and not having various fixed positions that the shield goes to.

But the design is an obsolete pain in the ass when compared to most of what is out there, especially when you change it at least twice a day for commuting.

Make sure to check out relative prices for shields between the various helmet offerings, too.
Good points through and through. I love the way Arai fits me and I love the completely adjustable, non-notchy shield adjustment. The shield install and remove procedure is a pain, even if you only change shields infrequently - have to relearn how to do it every time. If the Arai fits you better, I wouldn't be put off by the shield changing exercise. The Shoei shield adjustment system is terrible compared to the smooth and seamlessly adjustable Arai mechanism.

I did a quick little video for the Arai Visor Whiners.... :rofl:
Awesome job on the video!!!! If a picture is worth a thousand words, that clip must be worth millions... :lol: maybe you can get Arai to pick it up for their website. :p

That's exactly how I do my visor change as well, usually on a table or my desk, standing right behind. And to the comment of checkswrecks, I frequently DO change out twice a day. Pinlock for early morning (cold and fog), and mirrored visor for the afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a quick little video for the Arai Visor Whiners....
That's all good until the helmet is a few years old and has some miles on it. Parts wear and that snappy procedure can become significantly less rapid or predictable. I thought my post was positive overall about Arai, because I do like their helmets very much - the notchless adjustability of the shield totally rules. Nevertheless, if your loyalty to Arai is so crucial to you that you feel compelled to label someone a "whiner", well, so be it.

That's all good until the helmet is a few years old and has some miles on it. Parts wear and that snappy procedure can become significantly less rapid or predictable.
'

My experience has not shown that the " procedure can become significantly less rapid or predictable" with age.

That's all good until the helmet is a few years old and has some miles on it. Parts wear and that snappy procedure can become significantly less rapid or predictable.
'

My experience has not shown that the " procedure can become significantly less rapid or predictable" with age.
Mine, too. the helmet in my video was built in '04 and has a significant amount of use but with that said, I have several others that I interchange.

Sorry if my "whiners" statement has offended anyone. The video wasn't made just for this post, I made it because of the incessant bitching and whining I have experienced over a period of years on many different forums where I regularly participate. I felt the video was necessary to prove a point to those that whined the most.

I commute to work every day on the bike, so as a result I remove, clean, and re-install the shield about once a week. After a few months of weekly cleanings, I was able to do what you saw in the video. Yea, its not that hard, once you figure it out. Of course, what the video doesn't show is the dozens of failed attempts and the hundreds of cuss words necesary to get to that point.

I wathced the various videos on youtube that show how to do it. They helped to some degree. When it really finally "clicked" for me was when I realized that you don't place the shield in an exact position and push/snap it on like other shields. You push the end tabs of the shield into the openings, give or take a quarter inch, and it finds where it needs to be as you close the shield. Not anywhere near as exact as I expected it to be. I kept expecting to hear "clicks" and feel "engagements" at every step of the installation.

Also, the instructions suggest using the silicon goo that comes with the helmet on the ends of the shield so that it will slip into place easier. That helped some also. The goo isn't just for the seals.

My experience is that as the helmet ages, the plastic parts on the side of the helmet that hold the shield in place, become brittle and break. My helmet is two years old and I had to replace broken side plates this last winter.

I was watching a friend struggle with his Arai shield so I took his helmet and did a virtually identical Tree Doc hot swap. My friend heard all the popping and snapping and nearly fainted. He grabbed his helmet back from me and looked absolutely horrified. :lol: He was a dawn & dusk face shield swapper and he hid from me every time he had to swap shields after that.

the instructions suggest using the silicon goo that comes with the helmet
:glare: I did that and regret it. My face shield now has one position -- down. There is so little friction that the face shield drops like a guillotine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am an Arai fan (Quantum), except for the shield mounting mechanism. Changing them is sketchy at times (gotten worse with age) and I've had a visor vent fall out. Also the chin mounted wind deflector, although a good idea and I used it often, fell out after the third time re-gluing it, so I gave up, but I digress. I love the fit, styling etc..., but have moved on to a Scorpion EXO-400 and Shoei X-11, which both have superior shield mounts, giving the edge to the Scorpion.

As many have said, if it fits go for it. Might have the dealer show you how easy the shield is to change (be prepared to see a red face if he hasn't practiced :p ) and show you the venting features which while noisier than some, does a pretty good job over others, cept' my X-11.

Let the flaming begin from die hard Arai proponents, but remember FJRski asked for opinions.

Not Arai, but...,

Way back in the mists of time -- I was attending a motorcycle show with vendors when the very first Nolan Modulars arrived. The sales guy was showing me the features and I said, "That's all well and good -- but, how about when those plastic catches break?"

He said, "You mean like this...?" He then proceeded to rip off all the plastic covers, visor, etc.; snap them all back on; pull off and re-snap them back on, again. No problems.

I was impressed.

And, he was correct -- IME, that stuff is good.

I did a quick little video for the Arai Visor Whiners.... :rofl:
You got a good one, good for you! (heh)

That's all good until the helmet is a few years old and has some miles on it.
I have two Arai Profile helmets and straight out of the box they have been difficult to release and insert the visor. Last year I ended up breaking one of the mechanisms while trying to release the visor. A call to Arai was fruitful as they replaced both side panels with an updated version. The updated panels are somewhat easier to operate, but I still believe it is a poor design, specially considering Arai positions and prices there helmets as a premium brand.

Latest posts