Are short brake levers just as effective?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

striker

Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting the asv c/5 short brake lever. A friend suggested I do some research about the effectiveness of a short lever vs a long lever but I haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for. I imagine there's a bit less leverage, but that's on the weaker two fingers anyway.

So for anyone riding with a short brake lever, does it feel just as effective in a panic stop?

Thanks much

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Pazzo's shorty levers and no decrease in leverage, they have a better feel than OEM levers.

The FJR has enough braking force that the shorter lever isn't a problem. On older bikes with wooden brakes (like dad's KZ1100) all four fingers are needed.

Here's a simple test: deliberately grab your brake lever a couple inches away from the end. You be the judge. How does it work for ya? the worst that can happen: it's slightly harder to pull. If you've got enough grip that this is not a problem, you're good to go.

Gary

darksider #44

archimedes.jpg

No, shorter levers are not as effective as longer ones. They are however effective enough.

I'll stick to the stock ones which have better leverage, are more effective, and save my money. If I had shorties, I'd upgrade to the longer stock ones.
tonguesmiley.gif

Wow - thanks all for the quick replies. I'll stop being an FNG one day and not pester everybody so much :)

Doesn't sound like anyone has had any real bad experiences them. I'm considering the shorties because I figure it will let me cover the brakes when traffic's more congested so I can grab them a bit quicker without catching my outer fingers controlling the throttle.

I cover the brake with two fingers keeping the rest of the hand on the throttle grip. If I have to brake, the other fingers don't get in the way - the lever throw, even under heavy braking, comes nowhere near the other fingers on the grip. I have never had the feeling that they would get in the way or impair my ability to brake. I am using the Pazzo regular levers.

Based on the wording of the subject, I would say, "No, shorter levers are not as effective as longer levers." Rewording it to, "Are they effective enough on the FJR?", the answer would be, "maybe". It would depend on the operator, the size of their hands and the strength of their grip.

I don't like short levers, and I don't 2-finger my levers. I like my control of the throttle, brake, and clutch better using 4 fingers on the levers.

Hav'em and use both short and long. Recently put the long knock-offs back on for a different look this summer.

FWIW, it's not that difficult to engage the ABS with a strong two finger pull...

--G

Aftermarket levers might have the adjustability and bend to make a more ergonomic one or two finger squeeze for you.

Aftermarket levers might have the adjustability and bend to make a more ergonomic one or two finger squeeze for you.
Bingo. Brad is one smart cookie.

I had the ASV shorties on my FZ6 and moved them to the FZ1. Loved them and sold them for half of what I paid before the FZ was traded in on the Katoom.

ASV builds a quality lever.

I have the Pazzo shorty brake lever, and it makes it much easier to cover with two fingers like the rest of em said. I have shorter fingers and it was a pain to reach out for the lever, and I had to always use 4 fingers. I prefer the shorties.

For the clutch lever, however, I didn't like the shorty lever as it felt odd and was hard to work. Went with the longer pazzo levers for the clutch.

Both are adjustable and easy to find the right pull.

Based on the wording of the subject, I would say, "No, shorter levers are not as effective as longer levers." Rewording it to, "Are they effective enough on the FJR?", the answer would be, "maybe". It would depend on the operator, the size of their hands and the strength of their grip.
Totally right - that's what I meant to say.

I'll learn me some common sense one of these days. It's always there but I end up asking the question anyway.

Thanks everybody. Overall it sounds like I'm good to go for a short brake lever

I found the short clutch lever aggravated my arthritis enough to go back to the stock long clutch lever. The Pazzo short brake lever is great for me. The levers don't match, but I don't care. I should have bought the LONG clutch with the short brake. Oh, well.

Latest posts