Arkansas Ozarks and Talimena

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
Tomorrow the Goodmans are going to do something that has sadly become unusual for us.  We are going on a motorcycle ride!  With changes in my job and then with all the COVID stuff, we haven't taken any trips since last July.  I was travelling to Colorado during the winter every other other week and had planned on getting the FJR out there for lots of rides until all travel got stopped in our business.

This year we've been for a few afternoon rides and that is all we've managed.  Last fall I took a solo business trip to SC on the FJR via the Dragon, but none of our usual trips we love so much.  There's still a 20% chance we could get a 2 week trip in later this year but I'm not optimistic.

This is my planned route on the goldwing:

Ozark 2020 Route

We have family in Nixa so we will drop off our daughter there and have 4 1/2 days to ride.  This is a low number of daily miles for us, but I'm having issues with a right hand sprain so this will be a challenge on all these twisty roads.  I've been on a lot of these roads with my nephew but the wife has only been on Hwy 7, 103 and pig trail (23) with me.  I haven't done the Talimena or the section of Hwy 7 south of I-40 so that will be new.  Also I haven't been over to Eureka Springs. I have done Mt Nebo and Mt Magazine and like both of those a lot. Looking forward to taking the wife there. One benefit of COVID is that we were able to get a room at Mt Magazine lodge which I have been told is usually booked solid so that will be nice.

If I can find an inexpensive hosting site that does links again I'll post a trip report later.

Extra credit trivia question:

What famous fictional person is from Nixa, MO?

Done the Talamina many times. The coolest was once time when the weather rolled in and was cool and mostly miserable... until a cluster of classic cars passed the other way out of the thick fog.

car09.jpg

fog08.jpg

curves01.jpg

group01.jpg

Just a thought, you might look at Hwy 59 / 259 from Broken Bow up to Poteau. It's scenic with some beautiful overlooks and twisties mixed in.

I wouldn't say don't do the Drive, it's a fun road! Another way to get from Talihina to Mena is wiggling down Indian Highway and over to 259 as Craig suggested. 259 has some wonderful high speed sweepers that are a joy to lean into.

Honobia by Fred Dewey, on Flickr

Two years ago a buddy and I rode the bikes up and tent camped at Queen Wilhelmina State Park on the Talimena Hwy in April.  It was raining that evening.  When we got up the next morning it was 28 degrees and everything was covered in ice.  If it happens to be time for food when you pass through Talihina be sure to stop at Pam's Hateful Hussy Diner.  Pretty good food the few times I've been there.  Enjoy the trip.

I wouldn't say don't do the Drive, it's a fun road! Another way to get from Talihina to Mena is wiggling down Indian Highway and over to 259 as Craig suggested. 259 has some wonderful high speed sweepers that are a joy to lean into.
Watch yourself in doing the Scenic Drive . It (Queen Wilhemina Lodge at the midpoint) is a "park" and monitored by Park Rangers. That means the speed limits are enforced and fines are pretty much limitless (judge's discretion).

Love the Diner recommendation. As often as I've ridden the area, this is the first I've heard of it.

Had a good trip, thanks for the advice.  We came through the Talihina area too early for lunch so we didn't get to see if Pam's was open.  I'm posting a trip report in the appropriate section.

Here's a link.

Ozark 2020 trip report

And for the Nixa trivia - it was Jason Bourne / David Webb that is from Nixa. My nephew said they got really excited since it's a small town. Someone even altered the town welcome sign with a section saying "Home of Jason Bourne", but MODOT got mad and took it down.