ATGATT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmike2

Shtirrenuppenmeister
Reaction score
Motorcycle Protective Clothing: Protection From Injury Or Just The Weather?

Yes...scientific and BORING to most.

Also, it doesn't include helmet/no helmet discussion because helmets are required nationwide.

ConclusionsThis study demonstrates that motorcycle protective clothing is associated with a significantly reduced risk of injury in crashes, particularly when body armour is fitted. While the most substantial effect was observed for open wound injuries, crashed motorcyclists who were wearing motorcycle clothing were also significantly less likely to require admission to a hospital.

These findings have implications for policy decisions related to encouraging the use of motorcycle protective clothing, however mandating use is not recommended at this stage. The failure rate for jackets, pants and gloves indicates a need to establish systems to ensure such products are fit for the purpose. Consideration could be given to providing incentives for the use of ‘recommended’ gear, such as tax waivers for safety gear, health insurance premium reductions and rebates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heavy stuff, but you're preaching to the choir here. They don't mention anything about how being protected from extremes of weather can enhance rider competency. IE, if you're not suffering from heat exhaustion / sunburn / hypothermia, you're going to make better riding decisions.

BTW, I'm loving my Roadcrafter. I've worn it every single day that I've ridden, since I got it. Very nice option for commuting since it is so easy to get on/off.

I am amazed and saddened by the typical lack of riding gear worn here in the Chicago area. :(

I would estimate that only 5 to 10% are atg, and that atleast 50% are glasses, t-shirts, shorts and tennis shoes. I constantly read of motorcycle deaths in the Chicago newspapers...it's very sad.

I must have had good mentors, because I never ever would have considered doing that...even when I was 18.

Heavy stuff, but you're preaching to the choir here.
Not necessarily!

They don't mention anything about how being protected from extremes of weather can enhance rider competency. IE, if you're not suffering from heat exhaustion / sunburn / hypothermia, you're going to make better riding decisions.
Actually, they caution the exact opposite inferring that heavier gear COULD inhibit one's ability to control their motorcycle. Their premise is, in some work environs, protective gear causes a machine operator some physical distress. Their statement is that this particular possibility "needs more study" as it was outside the norms of their investigative work. One would think the balance of protection versus the small interference would weight the protection provided as more important than the millisecond delay in reaction to danger.

Hey Wheaton,

Here in the southern part of Illionois, it is not uncommon to see riders in shorts and flipflops, period. The majority however, wear sunglasses and attempt teh Orange County Chopper beard.

What boggles me is the emphatic mindset from which they launch ill thought out arguments they for not wearing protective clothing.

I live in a mandatory helmet state. Everyone that has died on a motorcycle in the past few years has been wearing a helmet. Hmmmm...think they should outlaw helmets?? :blink:

Gotta luv statistics!!

Hey Wheaton,

Here in the southern part of Illionois, it is not uncommon to see riders in shorts and flipflops, period. The majority however, wear sunglasses and attempt teh Orange County Chopper beard.

What boggles me is the emphatic mindset from which they launch ill thought out arguments they for not wearing protective clothing.
You oughtta see here in Pheonix...its rare to see ATGATT. And we're a no helmet state. Although, I will say, I most often see sport bike riders with gear than cruiser riders.

BTW, I'm loving my Roadcrafter. I've worn it every single day that I've ridden, since I got it. Very nice option for commuting since it is so easy to get on/off.
Its going to be 101 and humid here today. Roadcrafter is lounging in the garage. Today it's mesh day. <_<

It is good that they are doing the study.

Australia has much different tax set up,cost of bikes ( new FJR 1300 is about$25,000.) motorcycle registration,road rules etc than the USA

Yes it is boring but if you are concerned with motorcyclist in general and their safety it is important .

NO I did not have anything to do with it

The number of accidents is small they used in their survey and the area is our National Capital a bit like Washington DC but not so crowded . So the road are very good unlike other parts , the road surface is smooth unlike other parts of Australia .

60 % of the accidents involved riders who held their licence for more than two years ,but the amazing thing is 40% had not had their licence for a least two years .

If you read it remember the speeds and distancesa re in Metric so 100 KPh is about 60 MPH .

If anyone has any question about it and Australian condition just PM me as I have some experence in the USA so I may be able to help you understand the difference .

Me personally I will probably study it latter 15 pages will put me to sleep before the end .

While I didn't study the entire report, I did scan through all pages and it seems they had some interesting conclusions.

Of course, I'm already motivated to ride in full gear and having survived a couple of rather nasty "sudden catastrophic incidents", I'm particularly happy with my decision.

I thought is interesting for any who are "on the fence" about wearing proper gear. For those who've already settled in their mind, there's not much anyone can say/argue. At least there were surveys and interviews performed with the survivors so the collection of data was more personal.

I crash tested my Olympia Airglide Ii jacket and pants today in a low-side through a right hander at less than 25 mph. Walked away, but the gear is toast. I guarantee I'd be suffering major rash as well as knee, elbow, shoulder and head injuries without ATG.

As I slid and then tumbled once before coming to a stop, I was evaluating the performance of each pad in my pants and jacket and was very pleased. Really. I'm a little sore now and will be worse tomorrow, but no ER for me. Called Geico, the dealer, and then MrsMoto for a ride home from the dealer.

I've always been a believer. Now I'm a true believer.

This is my first summer riding season in 25 years. I'm amazed at the level of protective gear available now, compared to then - 25 years ago only racers had armor. Us street riders had leather or vinyl jackets and helmets. Where I live, hundred-degree days are common (without the humidity you easterners, southerners, and midwesterners get). I have a mesh outfit I wear every ride, and it's pretty comfortable for the most part. I'm amazed at the number of riders I see with tank tops & shorts - even the Highway Patrol ride with short sleeve shirts. I saw a kid the other day, maybe 16 or 18 riding a Hayabusa wearing a Speedo and flip-flops. Maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy, but that kind of foolishness is just scary.

Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.

Glad your get off was uneventful, what a blessing. Yep, ATGATT is the way to go. That way you can focus on being pissed off for wrecking your ride, instead of nursing breaks and skinless rashes.