Attitude is everything

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueman

blueman
Reaction score
Just got pulled over for the first time in a long time. My wife and I rode into town to the annual Hot Rod show and was riding home. Living up on the high point in town is a nice one mile up hill stretch of road right before my neighborhood. I rode up the hill and turned into my neighborhood and thought I heard somthing funny when I made the turn " like a wierd honking sound. Brushed it off and turned into my drive. Looked back getting off my bike, UH-OH the man with lights on. I invite him onto my drive. He is cautiously nice and asked me for my license and I said its in the house. He responds you do not have it on you ,no I don't. I run into my house and get my wallet and hand him my license, registration, and Insurance. Which I did have on the bike. He said I clocked you at 82 in a 35. He also said he had his throttle buried to the floor trying and not gaining on me going up the hill. He asked me why I was traveling at those speeds. I said STUPIDITY! He asked have you had any tickets in the past few years, I replied no. He calls in my license and returns it to me. He said this time I am giving you a verbal warning. I said thank you!

Just out of curiosity if he decided to right me up how much would that have cost me these days?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got pulled over for the first time in a long time. My wife and I rode into town to the annual Hot Rod show and was riding home. Living up on the high point in town is a nice one mile up hill stretch of road right before my neighborhood. I rode up the hill and turned into my neighborhood and thought I heard somthing funny when I made the turn " like a wierd honking sound. Brushed it off and turned into my drive. Looked back getting off my bike, UH-OH the man with lights on. I invite him onto my drive. He is cautiously nice and asked me for my license and I said its in the house. He responds you do not have it on you ,no I don't. I run into my house and get my wallet and hand him my license, registration, and Insurance. Which I did have on the bike. He said I clocked you at 82 in a 35. He also said he had his throttle buried to the floor trying and not gaining on me going up the hill. He asked me why I was traveling at those speeds. I said STUPIDITY! He asked have you had any tickets in the past few years, I replied no. He calls in my license and returns it to me. He said this time I am giving you a verbal warning. I said thank you!
Just out of curiosity if he decided to right me up how much would that have cost me these days?
You might consider editing your profile so we know at least which state you live in.

Kurt

In CA, doubling the speed limit can be written as Wreckell Driving. You wouldn't want to visit that territory.

BTW, 82 in a 35???? :eek: What in the world were you thinking.......or not thinking??? :unknw: Were you looking for a Mustang GT, or what?

Couple things...

82 in a 35 probably would have been pretty spendy, no matter where you live.

I'm constantly amazed how effortlessly FJRs (and most similar sized bikes) will climb mountains/hills/inclines. The motor is so understressed, you almost don't realize how much altitude you're gaining, versus being in an automobile where the engine starts to strain, and if it's an automatic, will downshift to try and keep your speed up. The fact that he had it buried and couldn't catch you was nothing... you could have pulled away effortlessly if you had wanted to.

Having been lucky to get perfomance awards in many diffrent locals, I think the average price is about $5.00 for every mile over the limit. So thats about a $235.00 ticket you avoided.

KM

Blueman...and everyone else who hasn't done this.....

To add your home city, go to the top of the forum and "click" on MY CONTROLS, in theleft column find "Edit Personal Profile"...about 2/3 of the way down there will be a blank space titled: Your Location.

If you'll fill in that blank, it will then come up under your avatar (Like mine...From: Elk Grove, CA) and the rest of us will know where you are to help you or give you advice....or come find you if we're really really really upset. :rolleyes:

I am always give LEO's the utmost respect, but I have NEVER gotten out of a ticket because of it. On my way to CFO, I got pulled over for 13 over the limit. I went WAY, WAY out of my way to be courteous to the officer, and he didn't give me any kind of break. NONE. The only good thing that came out of it, was the laugh I got when he said that the 68 MPH I was going was "Way to fast for a motorcycle." What a joke. I respect most LEO's, but just like any group of people on the planet I think some of them are :asshat2: Yes, I was breaking the law, but $160 for 13 over, WTF?

Were you looking for a Mustang GT, or what?

Kurtfrie, you're gonna live with that for............ever.

I recently won a performance award for not a lot over the limit, and the dear officer's explanation was that "we're not giving motorcycles any slack."

He went on to explain that "they account for a lot of fatalities." I considered that patently unfair. If I had been in a minivan, might I have been just sent on my way? Who do you blame? The LEO for "profiling", or the "dog-fuck" (using a Warchild adjective) who gets caught going 130, or worse-spreading himself on the asphalt and adding to the tragic statistics.

And I was polite as hell.

Well, I might be the only one saying it, but I'll bet I'm not the only one thinking it....sir, you're out of line. And doing it two-up to boot? My wife would be all over my sh*t. There's probably a reason the speed limit is 35mph in the area. Maybe hidden driveways, small children playing, farm equipment, intersections, only you'd know.

I like to wick it up as much as the next guy at the right time and place, but if you came through my 'hood at over twice the limit I'd be tempted to take some sort of action. And I hope your ABS and brake pads are all in good working order, sounds like you may be counting on them one day.

Just my .02 from an old wise guy.

Don't know about AZ, but in CT the last time I got caught for going 80 in a 65 was a $298 fine. By electing to go to court, at least I got it down to $100. I've heard that above a certain amount of the speed limit is on the spot impound and/ or possibly automatic license suspension.

I too was respectful, courteous, and all that other BS, and so was the cop. He did gimme a break, writing it for 79 in a 60, rather than 86 in a 60, which saved me a hunnert beans, and I disputed it, saving another $42, lowering it to a grand total of a $100 donation to the Hennepin County Put Volts in the Mayors Prius fund. Next time, I do an OJ and blame the Twinkies or somethin.