Attitude is everything

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am always give LEO's the utmost respect, but I have NEVER gotten out of a ticket because of it. On my way to CFO, I got pulled over for 13 over the limit. I went WAY, WAY out of my way to be courteous to the officer, and he didn't give me any kind of break. NONE. The only good thing that came out of it, was the laugh I got when he said that the 68 MPH I was going was "Way to fast for a motorcycle." What a joke. I respect most LEO's, but just like any group of people on the planet I think some of them are :asshat2: Yes, I was breaking the law, but $160 for 13 over, WTF?
reminds me of when I was gettin on the KS turnpike in my 300 ZX turbo. was doing 136 when i went under an overpass with a couple cops lookin over. One of them dissappeared as I watched them throught the T-tops so i figured i best slow down. As i was letting off the gas, a leo cam from the other direction lights a flashin and full speed dove into the median with a big ol plume of dust. So i just pulled over. Turns out Leo was a real hotty. She caught me checkin her out with the rearview mirrors (back with servo controlled mirrors were new but it didnt dawn on me that they made a lot of noise). I rolled down the window and she asked with a lil smile "do you have any idea how fast you were going?" (obviously she didnt clock me) "why no mam I dont" i sez. She sez "well i clocked you goin 80" "Oh" I sed wit a smile, "ok then"

-she was worth the ticket :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to wick it up as much as the next guy at the right time and place, but if you came through my 'hood at over twice the limit I'd be tempted to take some sort of action.
Y'know, it's this kind of Internet Tough Guy attitude that both irritates me and makes me laugh. The threat here is pretty blatant - you'd take "action" against somebody driving through your neighborhood too fast? What kind of action? Would you go run them down, yell at them, start a fight? At 82 in a 35, you're probably not getting plates, so your comment suggests a 'hit 'em with a bat' kind of mentality. Are you telling us you've *never* sped through a residential? And that if you did, you would want somebody to "take some sort of action" against you? :angry2:

Or did you just mean "call the police"?

Furthermore, what is "the right time and place"? You can make the argument that there is no such place outside an honest-to-goodness racetrack. Other hazards such as traffic, deer, weather, irregular road surfaces, etc. make any road a potential danger.

82 in a 35 seems a bit extreme for a residential, yes, but since you admit to speeding, you have committed the same crime, just in somebody else's " 'hood". Maybe the locals where you speed should "take some sort of action" since you banzai through their 'hood.

No tough-guy attitude here, and no, I would not take physical action. But I do throw up a stream of water with the garden-hose when I'm out washing a vehicle and some ass-hat comes haulin' ass down our street. And I'm lucky enough to have a cop living next door and I'm not above getting him a description of the vehicle so HE can go pay them a visit, since I don't think he'd appreciate having his dog, cat, or child mowed down in front of our house. And the majority of the time it's some punk kid who lives in the neighborhood so finding him is not usually a problem. And no, I don't speed through a residential area, ever. And yes, it tends to piss the folks in their cages off, as I've had them pass me on my own street.

My personal favorite place (and I'm probably not alone on this one) to "wick it up" is NV Hwy 50. Long, straight stretches, nice low vegetation so you can see the critters (although I don't worry too much about Mormon crickets), and miles of highway without any other vehicles. I don't recall ever seeing a child playing on Hwy 50, although I have seen bicyclists and gave them all the space they would like to have. In any case, the other items you mention (weather, road conditions) affect only me, not pedestrians, pets, or other vehicles. I'm sure you have your own favorite, I just hope it's not a neighborhood.

Having three children, all boys. The oldest racing Motocross at a serious level. I consider myself hopefully responsible and setting a good example to my children. Obviously not in this instance. Having my children look out the window of my house with the officer and lights a flashing, I new I had some explaining to do. Admitting that I to make mistakes. My 20 year old committed that if it was him he probably would have been written up. I think he is right. Life is not Fair. In retrospect looking at the dollars of the infraction if he decided to.

A. Speeding

B. I think 20 miles and over the limit they get you for more stuff.

C. No license on hand

D. And probably other things I can't think of

E. My insurance going through the roof

To me that sounds like its time to call the attorney. I have not had a ticket for over 20 years which still amazes me. With all of the car driving I do ect. Plus I have owned over 30 bikes. I have owned and rid street bikes since the age of 16. During my teenage years and in college I did though repeatedly get moving violations on my Yamaha RD-400, playing Kenny Roberts. Getting older I tried to take on a more responsible role when teaching my children to ride. My wife thinks I got off because of the Boots she was wearing. She is right I did get off.

Concept I try to ride by: I choose to ride this motorcycle...I'll take the risk. They did not choose the risk...do no harm to innocent bystanders.

Wicking it up where only you can be the fatality(Isolated highways)...acceptable.

Wicking it up where you might take someone else out(residential or crowded thruways)...NO GOOD.

I've done some asshat things in my time...don't get me wrong. I just try to do them where only I would get hurt...if things go bad...and sometimes they do.

Well won't make too much of a blanket statement here BUT I will say this:

The quickest way to get rid of a cop is to just go with the program..

WW

FWIW Blueman, you got lucky, so enjoy it. Having a clean record may have gotten you some slack, so it's nice that the last guy before this let you off too. ;)

Anyway, I'm not sure about AZ, but many states, including OR and WA, double the posted limit is an automatic haul off to jail, felony speeding, impounded vehicle and 3 days in jail. Not to mention the optional reckless driving and potential other charges, like say driving w/o a licence..... :blink: and a hefty fine!

Not sure why you got a free pass for that kind of speed differential. Not too many LEOs in my state would have even considered letting you off after having to chase you down. You might start checking those mirrors more often.

Lots of free advice - sounds like 82 in a 35 can get you anything from a warning to a visit downtown. Problem is the FJR is just too much fun not to crank it up occasionally - be safe and thanks for sharing - :rolleyes:

No tough-guy attitude here, and no, I would not take physical action. But I do throw up a stream of water with the garden-hose when I'm out washing a vehicle and some ass-hat comes haulin' ass down our street. And I'm lucky enough to have a cop living next door and I'm not above getting him a description of the vehicle so HE can go pay them a visit, since I don't think he'd appreciate having his dog, cat, or child mowed down in front of our house. And the majority of the time it's some punk kid who lives in the neighborhood so finding him is not usually a problem. And no, I don't speed through a residential area, ever. And yes, it tends to piss the folks in their cages off, as I've had them pass me on my own street.
My personal favorite place (and I'm probably not alone on this one) to "wick it up" is NV Hwy 50. Long, straight stretches, nice low vegetation so you can see the critters (although I don't worry too much about Mormon crickets), and miles of highway without any other vehicles. I don't recall ever seeing a child playing on Hwy 50, although I have seen bicyclists and gave them all the space they would like to have. In any case, the other items you mention (weather, road conditions) affect only me, not pedestrians, pets, or other vehicles. I'm sure you have your own favorite, I just hope it's not a neighborhood.

Riding approximately 18000 miles two summers ago, the ONLY place I got warned...cop flashed ALL his lights at me... was on US 50... in Nevada ...<G>

Although I will admit that about 2/3rds of that was on my Harley... it cruises a bit slower than the FJR... like 85 instead of 95.... (I is a wuss)...<BG>

Mary

I like to wick it up as much as the next guy at the right time and place, but if you came through my 'hood at over twice the limit I'd be tempted to take some sort of action.

Furthermore, what is "the right time and place"? You can make the argument that there is no such place outside an honest-to-goodness racetrack. Other hazards such as traffic, deer, weather, irregular road surfaces, etc. make any road a potential danger. No mention of residential area here....

82 in a 35 seems a bit extreme for a residential, yes, but since you admit to speeding, you have committed the same crime, just in somebody else's " 'hood". Maybe the locals where you speed should "take some sort of action" since you banzai through their 'hood.
Bit extreme? I believe neighborhoods and Highways are very different areas you dumbass! Where did you read where he was speeding through a residential area. Guys like you severely damage the perceived IQ level of this forum. <_<

I had my ass hauled into court for damage to a dumb assed kid running excessively down my posted 25 mph "residential" street that ends at a tee several hundred feet past my drive. My kids were younger and had to cross this dip shits personal race track and I did what I had to do to put an end to his stupidity before he did something he'd regret forever.

Internet tough guy? Give me a place to mail you the court documents and Police report.

:fuk: :clown2:

:jester:

OK then....Bustanut....take a step back & breath deep....no need to have an aneurysm over this .....now breath in & exhale out slowly.....please continue this until your blood pressure is back down....thank you :download: ....

Unfortunately, the title doesn't describe the situation - he was nice and got the ticket anyway.

I got a PA over the week-end. Travelling a 2 lane highway posted at 90 KPH (about 55 mph), doing 86. The limit drops suddenly to 50 (that's 30 in miles per hour) to pass through a town. Not residential area, just a collection of businesses on the side of the highway.

There was a sign (I went back to check). But I missed it. I was concentrating on;

1. Travelling with the traffic

2. Looking for the gas station

So what does it say that there was a speed trap? My interpretation is that the speed limit isn't well marked and that lots of people miss it during 'leaf season' and that it serves as a form of cash generator. Then again, the local judge benefits from the situation, so how much profit is there in fighting?

I pulled over and was as pleasant as can be. I took off my helmet to show off my white hair. I started the conversation in English and immediately switched to French when it became obvious that he was a bit uncomfortable with English. When informed I was speeding I immediately said that I hadn't seen a lower speed limit sign, but I did not confirm my speed.

I even went up to the officer and asked him outright to make the ticket a warning, since I have a clean driving record. No dice.

The damage? 3 points (out of 15) and a $225 fine for 55 in a 30.

Up here you can't petition for a reduction of charge or fine, but I will try writing a letter to the court anyway, asking on the basis that they are too far away for me to travel to fight the ticket - that I'd pay a fine against a reduced charge . . . can't hurt to try I suppose, since I have 30 days to pay and I've already wasted 5 of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of weeks ago while commuting I got pulled for my own personal extreme case of thankfully getting only a verbal warning. This was coming around the back of the Lincoln Memorial and onto Independence Ave in DC. Turns out that he'd followed me for about a half-mile in the dark and for sure, I must have been snoozing on watching the mirrors.

He walked up and I'd already put my helmet on the tank with the HANG UP AND DRIVE and PROUD TO BE AMERICAN stickers showing. No blood-dripping graphics on a painted skull. It was also pretty apparent that I was a daily commuter, in a well-worn blue Aerostitch. I do ride quick and was passing traffic, but always ride as smooth as possible and he made a comment about being smooth, plus that he had noticed that I'd continuously been using my signals. So between not riding like a squid and the visual, my first impression thing was good.

His first question was if I knew the speed limit (30) and I answered with what it was where we were, as well as back up the road where the speed steps down from 45. So I showed that I knew the road without becoming a babbling idiot. I also took a positive attitude, not a lawerly or defensive one. I knew he had me and he knew he had me, so the next thing I said was that I knew I was a bit over, so how far over did he see? Ball in his court, answer was 47 in a 30. I'm thinking, damn, this is going to hurt. So my response:

That's a couple more than I thought, but sorry, I'm sure you're right.

I try to stay smooth and where I can control my environment.

I'm sure you unoticed that I wasn't just out for speed.

All three sentences were true and I stayed on those three ideas as we talked for a few more minutes. He told me to slow it down, told me he was going to let me go with a warning, and that was it. Well, maybe once my heart slowed back down. BTW, having done ride-alongs and knowing a number of LEOs, I firmly believe that lies and excuses are like ass-holes. Everyone has one, everybody else knows, and since they all stink like shit they're just counter-productive.

I was lucky - flat out. This wasn't a speed trap with virtually no leniency. But maybe there's something useful for others even if its just reducing the size of the ticket.

Bob

137 in a 55 Minnesota is Reckless Driving. $700 fine, 6 month automatic revocation of driving license and a possible 60 day stay at the local county hotel run by the sherriff. Friends can sometimes help you get out of these situations...but don't count on it.