Aussies Need PNW Planning Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I just got a nice email from Kevin and Maree, the pair of Aussies we met on a local ride a few weeks ago. They'd flown to Texas, bought an FJR, rode it this far and then back towards St. Louis, where a friend was going to store it for them against a future visit back to the states. (They did 9500 miles in 6 weeks, so there was a little more than I mentioned.)

So they enjoyed the trip very much and now plan to come back in 2015 and asked for planning advice, which I turn over to you upper-left-corner folks, since I don't get that far north enough to be the best source. Here's the relevant part, clipped out of their note:

"Can we get some advice- we are planning a return trip to USA in 2015 – looking at doing northwest area above Sacramento & possibly into Canada – when would be the best time – weather wise to head in this area on the bike.- looking at the season change of Autumn, if possible."

I'll send them a link to this thread. What do you say?

Last edited by a moderator:
Double post. Never mind.

emily_litella_06-150x150.jpg

This is a bump. Been up two days and no replies from the PNW?? Come on, guys, this is for some folks who don't know the climate or the seasons around you. Hell, in the fall, they're having spring down there. Speak up--I sent them the link to this thread.

My favorite time of year is between mid September to Mid October. The children are back in school and the temps have dropped off. You can expect cools in the a.m around 50 and highs in the 70's. You can count on good weather anytime after the fourth of July on the coast, but it'll still be pretty warm here in the eastern part of the state of Wa, Idaho and Montana. How's that Mike?

As Mick has said we are planning on a return trip to the US, It is the timing which we need to work out sooner than later so we can apply for leave.

We had a look at the South West on the trip just competed, this trip we are looking at the North West.

We would like any advice on places not to miss. Eg on the last trip there was Zion, Bryce, Arches NP’s along with many more- any suggestion would be appreciated so we can plain into the trip.

On the last trip we missed only one thing on our wish list due to not booking in advance, as we only book our fly into the US and our return fly home.

My favorite time of year is between mid September to Mid October. The children are back in school and the temps have dropped off. You can expect cools in the a.m around 50 and highs in the 70's. You can count on good weather anytime after the fourth of July on the coast, but it'll still be pretty warm here in the eastern part of the state of Wa, Idaho and Montana. How's that Mike?
Thank you juniorfjr for your input.

I am really surprised that Fred F. is actually sober on a Memorial Day Weekend, the rest of his Specific Northwet drunken Buddies are smashed on their asses for this Holiday! KevinW, you will have to wait until Tuesday morn for the rest of the PNW Mooks to dry out for your answers! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Blimey!

I think the best time of year up in Puget Sound is September. The San Juan Islands are full of tourists during the summer as is Vancouver Island. You will probably have more sunny days in September and early October and the roads will be clearer. I don't know if you are headed to Yellowstone or Glacier National Park but the temps will be cooler than July and August. Additionally riding the coast of Oregon during the middle of summer will drive you to drink...( they don't drink in Australia do they?) There are wonderful roads and mountains up in the Seattle area. There is a large group of very nice folks in and around Seattle and I am sure we can take care of you. Getting across the border into Canada is easy as long as you have a passport and are not carrying a gun! Niehart is originally from Montana and knows that country pretty well. If you have specific questions, I am sure we can help.... Rich

^^^^^^ Papa Chuy Viejo is utterly dazed and confused by this Reply #8, 12 hours into a three day weekend with this Silly Scandinavian still being Sober! ^^^^^

^^^^^^ Papa Chuy Viejo is utterly dazed and confused by this Reply #8, 12 hours into a three day weekend with this Silly Scandinavian still being Sober! ^^^^^
Don, don't you have anything better to do!
no.gif

A little more info as to how long they will spend up here and what they want to see would be nice. Also what kinda of miles in a day they would like to do.

Are we presuming that the start out location is good old St Louis? Is that going to be the end location also?

Now back to that bottle of 1911!

Let me know if/when they decide to come to western Canada and I'll be glad to offer up some advice. They'll probably need a break after those PNW guys get through with them!

Late summer / early fall (September / October) is likely to provide the best weather in the PNW. A few can't miss rides would be Washington 20 (N. Cascades Hwy), Hurricane Ridge on the Olympic Peninsula and Sea-To-Sky highway in BC. Venturing further east [but still within range] is Glacier NP in Montana and western sides of Montana and Wyoming. Be aware, October *will* be pushing the weather window in higher elevations.

As Rich mentioned, the entire coast area in California, Oregon and Washington is stunning scenery and worthy of a [partial] ride at some point of the trip.

There are several of us in the Seattle metro area that are handy with mechanical stuff and have tire changers. No worries if any maintenance is needed. Check the assistance list for contact info.

What else can we help with?

--G

Panman

Yes St Louis is our starting point, but as for where we leave from depends on where we leave the bike so we can return again in 2016

We are looking to be in the States for 6 weeks.

Miles per day can very any thing up to 550 in a day, this not is not a big days ride for us.

Hi Kevin69 ... The PNW has two differing climates, due to a N/S coastal mountain range (Cascade mtns.) about 75 miles inland. On the ocean (west) side of the mtns. it is cooler and has real rain; on the inland side it is warmer-hot and dry, without enough rain for many crops. In PNW Canada the same approximation holds although temps are just a bit cooler when inland.

My best riding weather in the larger region is mid-May to mid-Sept., by early October I'm really keeping an eye on the weather!

The west coastal side (of the Cascade Mtns) seems driest mid-July to mid-September, but I don't live there.

For a 6 week ride window in the entire region, I'd suggest:

A. late May - early July, or

B. early/mid August - mid/late Sept.

Canada. I like riding in Canada (BC); daily costs I encounter seem about 25% more than USA for every category. Lodging, fuel, food, drinks.

The dead end coastal road north of Vancouver, BC is beautiful, and I like riding in the Kootenay region (south central BC) especially.

Sounds like great plan. Take a few photos and post them up!

Even of your just past trip if you have them.

Hello Kevin

The others have chimed in regarding the PNW. There is no finer area to ride in the summer than this area. I live in the Vancouver, Washington area just across the river from Portland. We are dryer and warmer than Seattle but you still need to carry your wet gear as we can get all four seasons in one day.

You must go to the Mt. St Helens visitor center just north of Vancouver which is off of I-5 to see what the earth looked like in the beginning. Massive eruption in 1980 which changed the landscape forever. Also, take Hwy 26 west to the beautiful Oregon coast and stop by Cannon Beach which can be busy but worth the ride. Great shops for your pillion to enjoy too. You can then take Hwy 1 up or down the coast as you please.

Other local sights in Portland area are Multhnomah Falls, Mt. Hood and just messing around Portandia which can be entertaining. Portland prides itself in the term "keeping Portland weird"

Hi Kevin and Maree,

Don't miss the OR/WA coast, Vancouver Island, the ferries up (or down the coast of BC). Also make sure you schedule Glacier NP...

So glad you're back safe and sound at home and once you get your schedule planned, hopefully we can make sure to connect a bit somewhere!

Hey Kevin69,

Don't know how far south your plans are, but there are some great roads here in Northern California. Hot as hell where I am in the summer months, starting to cool off in Sept/Oct. However, the coast is always cooler and the Redwoods Forest are amazing. (and full of tourist in the summer) Mt. Lassen is a great ride and fairly close to me.

You are more than welcome to stay here if you pass through.

Greg