Australia...anybody ever heard of that place?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkdale10

Reaction score
Well, I bloody well 'ope you've 'eard of it.  Australia?

Well, I want to go, and land in Perth, and ride to Sydney and then go home.  And take a month or two to do the ride.

That is a long time to rent a bike.  I'm exploring the possibility of finding a bike shop or individual, buying an appropriate long distance ride with bags.  And selling again when I get to the east side of the country.

I'm looking for suggestions, opinions, ideas and options.

I have given this some thought as well.  I think it might be less expensive to buy and resell rather than to rent for that length of time although I have no idea about licensing, insurance, taxes etc.  

"JamesK" used to be active on this forum but hasn't been here lately.  He moved from Japan to Australia a couple of years ago and might be some help.  Might try sending him a PM.  

Also, "festar" is Australian and has ridden in North America with "bigjohnsd".  Might try a PM to either or both...

Me!  I've heard of Australia!

But as to the question, I once rode to L.A. on a '75 Honda 250cc Enduro.  My experience on the 400 freeway miles told me I didn't want to ride it back.  I bought my L.A. buddy's friend's 650 Yamaha something and left the Honda with my friend to sell.  Signed it over to him, etc.  He sold it for something and sent me the money.  Good deal with a good buddy, but l wouldn't have wanted to go looking for a local buyer when I wanted to leave, and I didn't have to deal with any "foreign seller" issues, tariffs, etc.  Maybe there's a dealership with branches in both Oz cities that would agree to buy the bike back from you?  Maybe any dealer would buy it back?  You'd take a big hit, of course.  No idea if it would be better or worse than the hit you'd take at the rental place (even assuming you could pick it up at point A and drop it off at point B).  Good luck.