aux fuel cells

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One question, can it calculate the internal volume of the cell?  I just want to be sure we don't go over that 11.5 gallon limit, you know.
And if it converts to cubic inches...you can then convert that to gallons using the formula that one gallon of gasoline equals 231 cubic inches....or that the volume of the cell can't exceed 1131.9 cubic inches.

Last edited by a moderator:
One question, can it calculate the internal volume of the cell?  I just want to be sure we don't go over that 11.5 gallon limit, you know.
And if it converts to cubic inches...you can then convert that to gallons using the formula that one gallon of gasoline equals 231 cubic inches....or that the volume of the cell can't exceed 1131.9 cubic inches.
Oh yes, I know those two numbers real well. I think I'm at the point where I can pretty much tell you how much fuel is between 800 and 1200 cubic inches... :blink:

Tell me why you all think that a big fuel cell is a good idea? Frankly, by the time my tank is low, I'm plenty ready to get off, shake my ass and walk around a bit, while refueling. Is it for convenience, or for long hauls...?
Russell saddle, dude. Ride more. Stop less. When riding in some places 250 miles won't get you to the next gas station.

Usually if I'm running with my fuel cell, I'm also running with a topcase.
Do you run a Givi topcase?

So you need to design a cell that sits in between the Givi rack?

Like this?

rack_dimensions.jpg

cardboard_floor1.jpg

cardboard_floor.jpg

right_front.jpg

right_rear.jpg

Givi_open_side.jpg

day1.jpg

day1_left-side.jpg

LTTB2.jpg

As a matter of fact, yes it looks alot like that. A few minor differences in the dimensions (1/2 inch here, 1/2 inch there). Overall the biggest difference I want in your design is a quicker release system.

Warchild ,

is that a Startraks dome I see on your top box??

if so ,, how do you like it ?? was it easy to install?? and do you like it??

I'm using one of the original Tanji cells myself and love it. Mounted my Givi on top centered over the rear axle with room for a jug behind and Star-Traxx antenna on the box. See here Click picture for original size.

I also have a quick mount cell that fits an FJR with a Givi rack. It fits in the pillion position and holds @4.2 gallons. A forum member I won't mention [WC] spoke for it a while back but I've heard nothing in a year so I am offering it again for sale should anyone need a relatively inexpensive cell. Pictures OCFJR has used it on a couple of occasions before he bought his Tanji cell. I used it extensively for several LD events and it was mounted when I crashed in the '04 1088.

Doug,

1) Will the Givi topcase still fit and open with the fuel cell in place?

2) Will a Russell seat fit (it looks like you have another brand)?

1) Will the Givi topcase still fit and open with the fuel cell in place?
Absolutely! See: This Link for a couple pictures with box and fuel cell.

2) Will a Russell seat fit (it looks like you have another brand)?
It should. OCFJR used it with a Russell. I have a Rich's seat and Rich also redid the backrest pad for me. The cell fits in position on the Givi rack and mounts in front under the rider seat just like the pillion seat.

Doug, id you miss the 1/2 ga. or so that is different with the Tanji fuell cell?

And why did you change? Uhm, I may be interested.

I did not miss the extra half gallon and probably would not if I went back to it. I made this cell rather quickly in '03 so I could ride in WC's Blister event. I made it a quick release cell to facilitate two-up riding.

I changed cells because I crashed during the '04 Utah1088 and everything went flying and decided after that to make my bike more single purpose for LD riding and solo touring.

The Tanji cell held a little more and was just a well thought out design and accomplished what I wanted to do with my Givi. I had spoken to Dean at the '03 IBR and he had a problem with the filler neck. Until he fixed that problem and went from a fuel pump assisted delivery to gravity feed I was not interested. Once those items were fixed I thought it was da bomb.