Average MPG Gauge Stuck On 17 mpg

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c0emgen

Reaction score
I have a 2006 FJR. When I first found the forum I came across a post on the problem I am having with my gauge readout but I can't find it using search. The problem is the average mpg that tracks mpg as you are traveling is stuck on 17 mpg no matter how fast or slow I go. The other average mpg readout that tracks overall mpg works fine. Is this a known issue for 2006 models? Is there an easy fix under warranty? Has anyone else had this problem? How was it resolved? Thanks for replies.

I have a 2006 FJR. When I first found the forum I came across a post on the problem I am having with my gauge readout but I can't find it using search. The problem is the average mpg that tracks mpg as you are traveling is stuck on 17 mpg no matter how fast or slow I go. The other average mpg readout that tracks overall mpg works fine. Is this a known issue for 2006 models? Is there an easy fix under warranty? Has anyone else had this problem? How was it resolved? Thanks for replies.

You sure it is not your speedo. Turn the throttle a bit and go faster. See if it changes.

OKOKOKOKOK JFWY, No, I have an 06 and no problems. Try unhooking the battery and resetting everything. That would be my second thing. First thing would be to hold down the two buttoms and see if that resets anything, then try one button at a time held down, then the battery.

THat is just my approach tho. Might do nothing

Known problem, there was a factory recall for this issue. It requires replacement of the entire gauge cluster at Yamaha's expense. You loose your mileage so they have to put a mileage statement sticker on the inside of the glove box door and another on the last page of your owner’s manual.

A copy of the recall notice is here in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
c0, this is a problem that affected the first 1400 06 FJR's in the country.

Here's the cover sheet from the Tech Bulletin -

116752286-L.jpg

If you would like to PM me with your email address, I'll send you a pdf file of the entire tech bulletin describing the problem and the process for resolution. That way your dealer won't have to spend 3 weeks of their lives figuring it out.

In addition the file describes how to remove the plastic and cowling off of the GenII bikes. Good stuff to have. Makes it simple.

Here's some forum posts about the situation:

DCarver's adventure

Kaitsdad does Wonky (that doesn't sound right?)

If you have the new speedo recalibrated (at Yamaha's expense :) ) you don't need the sticker in the glovebox. Metric mentions having this done in kaitsdad's first link.

116752286-L.jpg

If you would like to PM me with your email address, I'll send you a pdf file of the entire tech bulletin describing the problem and the process for resolution. That way your dealer won't have to spend 3 weeks of their lives figuring it out.

In addition the file describes how to remove the plastic and cowling off of the GenII bikes. Good stuff to have. Makes it simple.

Here's some forum posts about the situation:

DCarver's adventure

Kaitsdad does Wonky (that doesn't sound right?)

Hey, canya send it to me. I wanna know how to get that damm plastic off my genII so bad I am having visions of a sawzall

Just out of curiosity, is that Tech Bulletin 090TR? I ran into another guy with a '06 that told me his problem ended being a sending unit in the transmission. I was hoping he knew what he was talking about, because I decided last year that I wasn't going to swap out the gauge cluster.

Just out of curiosity, is that Tech Bulletin 090TR? I ran into another guy with a '06 that told me his problem ended being a sending unit in the transmission. I was hoping he knew what he was talking about, because I decided last year that I wasn't going to swap out the gauge cluster.
Problem was with the gauge. Had mine fixed (replaced) last October. I wd-40 ed the glove box because I didn't want the sticker in the glove box as the dealer was obligated to do. I took the sticker off when I got home and put it into my owners manual. Never look at the instant mpg-I would leave it alone if I had to do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Y'All -

I've been PM'd by some folks regarding the pdf I have of the tech bulletin - and I'm happy to email it to you -

but [SIZE=14pt]I need YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IN THE PM !!!!!!![/SIZE]

I haven't quite got the clairvoyance thingy down yet.

With permission, at least from the guy I got it from :)

I have posted this document here: 06 17mpg TB

It will be there as long as I own my 06 cause some day I'm gonna need it :D