Avon "a" Vs. "b"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabinfever

Reaction score
Just received a set of Avon 45/46's to replace the 45/46's I'm taking off. I know the "B" sidewall is stronger(its what I currently have), but my new tire is an "A" and much softer sidewall.

Am I gonna run into handling/wear problems with the softer sidewall?

I shamelessly pirated this post form the EZboard:

WarchildXX

Administrator

(4/7/05 9:33 am)

ezSupporter

New Post Re: Need avon tires FJRGoodies.com is getting into the tire war business, and they have Avon prices that are lower than swmototires.

Here's their tire page: https://www.fjrgoodies.com/tires.cfm

Guru Glen at Sunnyside knows the correct version of the rear Avon AV46. You don't want the Avon 'B'-spec equivalent, as this tire actually affords less treadlife than the regular Avon.

- Warchild

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking I read the same thing... Such as the "b" is for heavier bikes like ours. If thats the case, I'll send it back.

Nope, I was wrong, so I edited the above post, which is now correct as far as I know. I went to the EZ board and searched. According to Warchild's post you got the right one.

We want the Avon A tire, NOT the Avon B tire.

You are good to go, according to WC's post some time ago.

Anyone want to refute that?

And another note from Skyway:

They B spec are basically designed for CBR1100xx and Hayabusa type sportbikes for sustained high speed riding on autobahn type highways.

Here's the thread:

https://p083.ezboard.com/ffjr1300ownersasso...icID=2250.topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, that would be why I only got 6000 miles out of this tire!

I was just reading posts of guys getting at least a couple thousand more out of a /46. With my riding habits I'm usually at the higher end of the mileage spectrum.

Yep, you just weren't going fast enough on the tire. Had you gone 130 mph all the time, you probably would have gotten ALL the miles out of it.

See, you should have gotten a Hayabusa to go with that tire!

Craaaaap !! I put on the "B's" 5000 miles ago and they look like they got maybe 2k left, but this explains why I cant keep Ziggy under a 100, and why I keep ordering Tea at Starbucks....

Bobby

Is the "B" marked on the tire?? I'm getting really poor mileage from the last Avon I put on and am wondering if it's a "B"?

Yep, my rear says A-VBD. Unfortunately, at 6,000 miles I'm nearing the wear bars at an alarming rate. That included one 2300 mile trip with a 145 pound load. The rest were solo day rides. I usually ride pretty conservatively, liking my good driving record (insurance rates). 42 lbs rear, using up the replacement front POS Metz.

FYI on the B spec. I mistakenly put one on last month as I was in a hurry and grabbed the wrong one off the shelf at Iron Pony. Dumb, dumb, DUMB!!!

I found out the very first time in the twisties (after about a 500 mile highway run in Oh/Ky) how squirrly they felt! I was packed with luggage, but not overly so. Also have tons of suspension mods (Ohlins springs, superbrace, Wilbur high end shock, etc) too.

A friend on a VTX1800 (who is a very good rider) smoked me! And I mean smoked, like within 5 minutes he was 1/4 mile in front in teh twisty sections, which was about 250 miles worth of them! My confidence with them was fine on the highway, but really had to take it easy in the twisties. No amount of pre-load adjustment helped. Those who have ridden with me know that I'm no stranger to very twisty roads/hilly conditions, even in suboptimal conditions, but the B spec really sucked bad!

Point being...check very carefully that it says A-VBD, not B-VBD !!! You will be sorely dissapointed with sporting performance!!!

Now just have to wear the damn thing out so I can go back to an A spec. :eek:

I only get about 4K miles out of rear tires. Yep, I'm heavy on the throttle and brakes!