Avon St Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SickDog

Reaction score
My dealer is confused as to which Avon ST tires to order... apparently Parts Unlimited and Tucky Rocker have confusing reference tables. Anyone know the complete name of the Avons for front and rear on the FJR? Reference numbers to Parts Unlimited and Tucky Rocker would be helpful. Thanks.

Avon Azaro AV46ST 180/55ZR17 for the rear. The front is an AV45ST, I believe.

Don't forget that Avon has a warranty for the tire that is automatic when you buy it. They will replace the tire if you get a flat with less than 1mm of wear. I caught a screw with only 220 miles on the tire. I had heard about this warranty so I searched around on the Avon web site and found it. Took the warranty to my dealer and I had a brand new tire in two days. I only had to pay for installation.

I just picked up a nail in my rear tire at 3000 miles. Rather than have a mismatched set and not wanting to buy any more Metzlers , I decided to just put on a pair of Avon AV45/AV46. So I called Renton Motorcycles who happens to be one of the few places open on Sunday in the Seattle area. They told me the tires would be $145 & $197, which with tax is $372 for the tires plus $70 to mount them for a grand total of $442.

So, trying to be clever, I priced out tires at Southwest Moto Tires for $229.90 shipped to my door, a savings of about $142! Now I call the dealer back to setup the service and they tell me that, if I don't buy the tires there, it will be striaght labor for the work and he gave me some large amount this would cost.

So, assuming that I don't want to pay a fortune for this is there a better way? Does someone know a place in the Seattle area where I could get the tires and not get robbed?

I wouldn't mind taking the rear wheel off and taking the tire and the wheel somewhere to get it mounted and balanced, but I don't have a stand for the front tire, so I don't really want to mess with that myself.

Thanks in advance for any sage advice.

Cheers,

Jim

A floor jack, with a short piece of 2X4 under the header down tubes supports the front end nicely. HOWEVER, you also need a 2X4 under the center stand to have enough room to remove the rear tire. With both wheels off, the bike is not in a position to comfort the nervous individual. A wrong move is guarenteed to answer any questions concerning the cost of bodywork. If you are secure in your abilities, it's not a problem. If not, the ultimate savings will be realized by having the dealer do it all. Which dealer then becomes the biggest decision you have to make, but also, a relatively safe one.

Getting the bike on the center stand with a 2x4 under it is difficult. A peice of 3/4" material is al you need. It provides plenty of clearance to role the rear wheel out.

Should be easy to find a shop to change the tire you bring in without being overcharged, it's just smart business.

Instead of a jack, I use a come-along from the ceiling with nylon straps around the handlebars. If I remove the front wheel first, I can then lower the front end a few inches, which has the effect of raising the rear higher. No plywood or 2x4 is needed under the center stand.

I would think it would be the same if you were using the jack.