Avon Storm 3D X-M tire review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Impressive for the rear but the front cupping at 6k miles? I have to think twice about this tire. I don't think BT023 ever gave me cupping at 6K at front.

Yeah well, I don't trust most 'reviewers' because they don't pay for the stuff (They get paid to review the stuff).

Trust your fellow riders, and their mileage and experiences. I liked Avons years ago, but love my Michelins lately.

Not tested in the wet - useless report.

Cupping on the front at 6K? - useless tyre.

I had a set on my Roadstar Warrior, a hybrid cruiser sport bike, which I got just over 8,000 hard miles out of. The rear wore out in the center as I was on a cross country, lots of slab trip. Some feathering on the front but not as bad as my FJR cupped my last set of PR4s.

The Avon's worked real well in the wet, even when down to 3/32 tread on the rear. I changed the rear because of having to ride up the East Cost from New Jersey to Maine and thunderstorms were predicted.

I'd try them again on the FJR, but I'd watch the installer when he did the balancing as there have been lots of, you know it's true, internet reports of these tires having heavy spots.........

Just reading the report, I'd bet those dipshits set the pressure at 36psi in the front. ANY tire woulda cupped. A few things they said give me reason to believe they're not as smart as they think they are. Probably nothing wrong with the front if properly inflated.

I just replaced my PR 4's with a set of these and I am hoping I have better luck than the PR 4's very disappointed in them the 3's were better.

So what are you running for Tire PSI?

40 front and 43 rear. Haven't had a cupped tire since I started running those pressures, and I've never had a grip issue.

yup on the pressure-I run 42 front, 44rear get @ 9500 on PR2's altho over 8000 turn in feels like a CT out back

I had bad experience with the Avon Storm front tires on my ST1100. Headshake.

And before you say it wasn't the tire, trust me when I say, I tried everything.

Installed a Michelin on the front and, voila,problem gone. This after 2 sets of Avons.

However,I was very happy with rear tire wear and traction.

Considering the options, won't use Avons again.

This year, I installed Pilot Road 4s front and back of the FJR to replace the 3s. Havn't had a chance to ride yet :-(

Will try the tire pressures suggested by others here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting to loose my love of the Angel GTs after the last set needed a lot of pressure to turn in by 50% wear, about 3k miles. Trying a PR4 rear and a Bridgestone T30 fronts this time. So far, excellent. Have about 2k on them and little to no discernible wear on the rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just reading the report, I'd bet those dipshits set the pressure at 36psi in the front. ANY tire woulda cupped. A few things they said give me reason to believe they're not as smart as they think they are. Probably nothing wrong with the front if properly inflated.
Whatca mean, them moto journalists alwayz know wut they're do'in!
rolleyes.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOrv1ddB8VQ