Avon Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S76

Reaction score
I'm in the process of ordering some rubber for the 06 and hit a little snag. The Avon tires I found on line are "W" speed rated, rather than "Z" rated like the Metz. that came on the bike. I found through the search feature that I want the standard size not the "B" rated size. But I am confused on the "W" speed rating. Is that sufficient? Is that what most people use?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

The "W" speed rating is actually better than the "Z" speed rating. Sort of.

This is from TireRack.com:

Beginning in 1991, the speed symbol denoting a fixed maximum speed capability of new tires must be shown only in the speed rating portion of the tire's service description, such as 225/50R16 89S. The most common tire speed rating symbols, maximum speeds and typical applications are shown below:
M 81 mph 130 km/h

N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires

P 93 mph 150 km/h

Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires

R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires

S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans

T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans

U 124 mph 200 km/h

H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes

V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified. That ultimately caused the automotive industry to add W- and Y-speed ratings to identify the tires that meet the needs of new vehicles that have extremely high top-speed capabilities.

W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.

225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h

205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h

285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h

Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:

285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h

285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

As vehicles have increased their top speeds into Autobahn-only ranges, the tire speed ratings have evolved to better identify the tires capability, allowing drivers to match the speed of their tires with the top speed of their vehicle.

So yes, everybody with Avons is using the "W" speed rating and its sufficient. I mean, I don't think the FJR will be exceeding 168 mph anytime soon. I can tell you I have torture tested my Avons with no problems.

I can't remember what speed the W is rated for, but I think it's slower than the Z. Me, I would stick with Z personally. Try another site. There are plenty of them out there that sell the correct size Z rated tire for the FJR.

GP

I can't remember what speed the W is rated for, but I think it's slower than the Z. Me, I would stick with Z personally. Try another site. There are plenty of them out there that sell the correct size Z rated tire for the FJR.

GP

Not really. (See above)

I did some more research, and Avon doesn't even make a "Z" rated motorcycle tire, preferring the more specific V, W, or Y, ratings.

Oops. I guess I screwed the pooch on that one. Sorry Scoot and Bob. Now I know also. Thanks.

GP

Hey Scooter, I could have sworn the last 3 sets of Avons I purchased were Z rated. Do you think maybe they just quit making them and replaced them with the higher rated tires?

GP

I just checked AMT and all the Avon Azaro STs they listed were Z rated. Also checked Southwest Moto Tires and it was the same way. What gives?

GP

WOW!

What an education that turned out to be. Thank you very much Scooter. Who da figured it would turn out like that?

My STEALER wanted $450 to mount and balance 2 Avons! Found them on line for $225 delivered. I'll just mount and balance them myself. The wrestling match is worth the saved $$$. Then I can do all the splines and all that they would have charged even more for.

Thanks again,

Bob

I just checked AMT and all the Avon Azaro STs they listed were Z rated. Also checked Southwest Moto Tires and it was the same way. What gives?
GP
From my first post:

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.
225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h

205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h
So yes, I was kinda wrong in my 2nd post. Avon does label their tires (on the actual tire - I just checked mine) with a Z just like in the quote above, however, they also have the "W" speed rating which is really a higher, more specific rating. This "W" speed rating is not part of the normal tire size blurb on the tire, but is in parenthesis after the size blurb with the load (weight) rating. On my rear Avon, inside the parethesis is "73W".

On their website, they only list the tire as "W" speed rated as that is the more specific information. Remember, W and Y speed ratings automatically make a tire also Z rated.

So on the actual tire, the labeling looks like this: 180/55ZR17 M/C (73W)

Clear as mud?

Last edited by a moderator:
GP

While shopping the net I also found several dealers calling these tires Z rated. They had it in the size designation, "ZR". I think maybe they do that because everyone thinks they want a "Z" tire to have the best. Who would think "W" would be better? I sure didn't. And they actually are 'Z" or better.

Liars and thieves I tell you, they are all liars and thieves! ;)