AZ FJR Forum Forest Route 300 Ride; Sunday, NOV 15

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
https://tucson.com/travel2/drives/articles/...entral-mogollon Come join AZ FJR Forum on Sunday, November 15 by riding your dual sport on Arizona Forest Route 300. Departure will be made at 9am from the Shell Station located at the Southwest corner of State Highway 87 and Shea Boulevard. Decision will be made for a breakfast stop by the group.

Proceed up to either end, the group's decision; and run the 50 miles of dirt between Woods Canyon Lake and 87. Not very technical, just a fun day riding in the forest.

Dress warmly and bring water/snacks. May be last Sunday available before Winter weather finally sets in.

If you have any questions please contact Don Stanley at Home: 480-917-3863, Cellphone: 480-440-4666.

This route is easy enough dirtwork that a good rider on a Yamaha FJR1300 would have no troubles traversing it.

https://weather.aol.com/forecast/todays/us/az/payson/id/85541 57 degree high - 26 degree low Sunday in Payson

Don,

I would love to do this, but the timing is not

working for me.

Joe

We go to NM like every other weekend.

This is also sand dune season.

This is why it is hard to try and plan anything.

We have a place in Reserve NM and there are a lot of trails there.

We should plan on a weekend there sometime.

Will let you know when I have a free weekend.

Will get to cold for anything up north. Will have to stay in

Phoenix or Tucson area.

Joe

I've done sections of this road before while camping. If you're not skeerd, this is definately something you could do on a street bike. I'd consider it, but I just dont have the free time right now to do it.

Hey Joe, how about doing Bull Springs Road some Sunday in December? It is from Exit #48 on Interstate 19 to Patagonia on Arizona Route 82. You get off at Arivaca Junction, head east on Elephant Head Road, then SE on Mount Hopkins Road.

Twenty five miles of dirt passing Alto Camp and Squaw Gulch. In the shadow of the Obsevatory and Mount Wrightson.

If you are interested, PM with your mailing address. I own "Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A. Wells. Here is his rating: "Difficulty - Moderate. Narrow, rocky shelf road at higher elevations. Suitable for high clearance stock SUV's. Remote location." Nice little morning ride, then have lunch in Patagonia, return North up Highway 82.

Gorgeous and FREAKING COLD!!!!

I was getting all psyched to do this ride, until I just looked at the weather forecast..............

Pine, AZ is showing a hight of 48 and a low of 28 for Sunday. Brrrrrrrrrrr. And we'll be at elevations higher than Pine. Double Brrrrrrrrrr.

I think you're going to have to count this Arizona Wuss out of this ride.

Gorgeous and FREAKING COLD!!!!
I was getting all psyched to do this ride, until I just looked at the weather forecast..............

Pine, AZ is showing a hight of 48 and a low of 28 for Sunday. Brrrrrrrrrrr. And we'll be at elevations higher than Pine. Double Brrrrrrrrrr.

I think you're going to have to count this Arizona Wuss out of this ride.
PLEASE NOTE: Kindly scratch a whiney, sniveling, crying and squealing girlie-man from this ride. FR300's still ON for Real Men!

Don,

I just realized I have done this route twice. Once with the Hummer club and once in our Rhino UTV.

Would love to do it on the KLR.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Schedule it for a Saturday and I will join you... in my Jeep. I don't have a dual sport bike YET.

I would come over Friday night and join you guys on Saturday morning. Just a thought.

Dirk, We always pick Sunday for our Clubs day rides, whether onroad or offroad, because that is the day when the majority of AZ FJR Forum and Arizona Beemers Members can go out riding. Sorry! But, Joe and I already know the date of the Bull Springs Road Ride; it will be Sunday, January 10. We'll start its own thread under Southwest and post details next month.

https://weather.aol.com/forecast/todays/us/...-lakes/id/85931 Well, as Meat Loaf would sing: "Two out of three, ain't bad!" As resident squirrel and girlie-man SkooterG has pointed out: It's going to be freezing ass cold up on the Mogollon rim tomorrow, high of only 44 and a low of 22 in Forest Lakes, Arizona on November 15! So, here are the two things I do know: 1) I'm riding out of the Fountain Hills Shell and Circle K Store at 0900 hours this Sunday and I'm headed Northward. 2) I'm definitely going to fill my big Irish belly with chorizo, taters and eggs somewhere in the Payson, Pine or Christopher Creek area!

As far as Big Number 3: I'll make my decision on riding Forest Route 300 when I walk out of the restaurant!

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?t...icseen#msg16114 Contrary to a nameless nagging naysayer (it was Skooty), the weather was just great for yesterday's Breakfast Ride to the Rimside Grill and the afternoon traverse from West to East of Forest Route 300. Even though I had a Widder Electric Vest with controller and Tourmaster Heavy Winter gloves in my tank bag and a pair of Frank Thomas overpants in my top box: It was never cold enough that I needed to wear them and I just rode in jeans and a Belstaff jacket. Eight riders rode up for breakfast and four rode back to the Valley to watch football and do chores. Blaise, Brian, Mike and Papa Chuy rode the 50 miles of dirt to Forest Lakes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon_Rim

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?t...g16125#msg16125 More pictures from Sunday's GS/KLR Offroad Rim Ride.

For those Northerners & Canadians who think we Arizonans cannot handle tough treacherous winter snow riding conditions:

Just feast your eyes on Reply #26-Photo #2! Wanted you to know that Papa Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina" Conquered!!