back from the IBR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go Far

mmmm- shiny!
Reaction score
update- pulled it apart 2/2010 and discovered new cracks in same location :dribble:

Yep, it's cracked! :angry2:

Glad I didn't find out 'till after the finish. :rolleyes:

Time to check out the search button and get it fixed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike subframe or Givi subframe?

Having an 06, I'd like to know this as well..?
Well, it happened to me too...bike subframe cracked & my pelican case was bouncing up and down like a little jumping bean. Fortunately, we noticed it on day 2 of leg 2 when I had to make an emergency potty stop. Lucky for us we stopped...not only did we notice my jiggly pelican, Tobie caught his rear drive oil filler bolt was loose and losing fluid...

This was the 2nd incident of the trip with my pelican...on day one just past Indy, we stopped for fuel and a rain break. I noticed my pelican was loose for the first time. I had lost 3 of the nuts holding the bolts to my mounting plate. Thank goodness for zip ties and Hogie Carmichael (bonus stop) who fixed us up with spare bolts. Once back at the checkpoint, Darrell Smith fixed me up good with lock washers. Good to GO!

Here you go Dick......all with a nice bow. Iggy's Cracked Subframe Adventure

And the Smith clan and friends are great! A true port in the storm and wonderful folks!

...sorry about the diff plug Tobie. My bad.

....snip... Once back at the checkpoint, Darrell Smith fixed me up good with lock washers. Good to GO!
Way to go Darrell!

You just can't keep those Smith boys down! :clapping: :clapping:

Smitty and his big brother Darrell are mighty helpful...I must say.

I'd like to know more about your set up, etc.

What kind of rack, top case, how much weight in it, etc.

I'm sure the subframe is relatively similar to the GENI.

It really is not hard or that time consuming to take it off. Just follow Iggy's guide and get it welded by a good welder.

It's the subframe, it's already out of the bike. Took about an hour and a half. It's cracked almost all the way thru.

Givi was supported by the three bolt points on the tail cone and did not include the support under the passenger seat that the stock rack uses. The Givi support will have to include the seat mount point, I believe, but that will mess with my aux. tank mount. So, I think the subframe repair will happen now but the revised givi rack mount may wait for winter.

Givi mounted on plate

Ironbuttrally226.jpg

Top view subframe

Ironbuttrally260.jpg

right side from below

Ironbuttrally264.jpg

left side from below

Ironbuttrally265.jpg

I was talking to CISCO and he had a customer bring in an FJR with a cracked subframe to. This is the 3rd I've heard of.

I was talking to CISCO and he had a customer bring in an FJR with a cracked subframe to. This is the 3rd I've heard of.
I haven't dug into my bike yet, but from what I can see with a flashlight looking under my aux. cell, the cracks in my subframe are in the same place as Dick's. EEKS!

This is not good at all. How much weight are we talking about here that may have caused these? Think it's the weight alone that's the issue, or the far-back position of the weight?

This is not good at all. How much weight are we talking about here that may have caused these? Think it's the weight alone that's the issue, or the far-back position of the weight?
Your right this isn't good news at all, I just finished mounting a Pelican case in a very similar manner. I left my OEM rack and grab handle in place and I just checked under the seat and the sticker says it's good for 7 lbs. :blink: I'm pretty sure most have exceeded that rating. Throw in a brisk ride up to Bristlecone and well you can see the results. Looks like there's a reinforcement project on the list for this winter.

It's the moderate weight (or excess weight since Yamaha drew the line in the sand with the 7 lbs. sticker) that bounces up and down like a lever-arm and fatigues the cast aluminum alloy. This is a case where Yamaha didn't over-engineer the subframe by any stretch. Us folks that want to stack on a bunch of weight will have to beef things up...pretty simple.

It is nice that nobody has had a ride (or an IBR) cut short because of failure. Everybody has been able to ride home and take care of it on their schedule.

It's the moderate weight (or excess weight since Yamaha drew the line in the sand with the 7 lbs. sticker) that bounces up and down like a lever-arm and fatigues the cast aluminum alloy. This is a case where Yamaha didn't over-engineer the subframe by any stretch. Us folks that want to stack on a bunch of weight will have to beef things up...pretty simple.

It is nice that nobody has had a ride (or an IBR) cut short because of failure. Everybody has been able to ride home and take care of it on their schedule.
Not only that, the guy that Zac talked about didn't know anything was wrong. Zac diagnosed the problem.

yes, this happened to my FJR as well...only i was hit from behind! by an R1200RT. It cracked it in the same places. Dealer replaced the whole sub-frame.

I have a Givi 46L bag on there right now with that special aftermarket mounting plate...i imagine with the weight of that plate leaves little weight you can use in the Givi bag. Now i know to pack light.

Latest posts