Back on an FJR 2015

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightwind15

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal. Too many sports injuries and too many years. My left knee developed arthritis and I was having trouble getting to the left peg and being comfortable on my 2008 FJR. Sweet Sweet bike and set up just right. Sold the 2008 and bought a 2012 GL1800 level 3. I rode it around town and was pleasantly surprised at the handling, smoothness and power for a 900+ pound bike. I put a Ultimate seat on it with passenger seat and backrest and figured I had reached Nirvana. Then I hit the interstate with my wife and the wind buffeting was insane. My wife literally got sick at her stomach from the blast passing cars and trucks. I now have the GL for sale and just got a 2015 A model. The thing is a doctor injected me with Synvic and I have almost full range of motion now. Joyfully I can get back on the FJR for a while longer. The thing that really blows me away is how poor the aerodynamics of the GL are after 40 years of building it. The FJR slips through the turbulence so much better and there is no comparison in handling in the twisties! Now to put the Yamaha back case on, get a California Scientific windscreen and head to the mountains. It is good to be a FJR pilot again.....Yamaha rules. (I did look at a new Concourse and rode one....not a chance).

Never had those observations with my 1800, Avon Cobras, stock windscreen, progressive springs and all that torque (use the gearbox) and surprise folks. My wings downfall was my wife turning into a grandma and my right hip getting a little arthritic, to much 923lbs on the right leg. No knocking the FJR, love mine, but the back seat does not compare to the wings barcalounger, wife loved it but 5 grandkids keep her busy. Now have the big strom, 505lbs and gobs of torque, just a tinsy bit tall.