Back Protection Armour

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
Wondering how many of you use Back armour, and if so what kind. I hope to have an Aerostich suit by next season, and I'm not sure what kind of back protection I want to get.

FWIW, I ride mainly for work, which means in and around downtown Chicago. need to be able to get in and out of the riding gear quickly, which is why I am going to go with an Aerostich.

I like the feeling of lots of protection, but it can't be too much of a hassle, or be really hot. Oh yeah, as long as I am looking for the impossible, if you have a Porsche I can get for free that would be great as well.

Wondering how many of you use Back armour, and if so what kind. I hope to have an Aerostich suit by next season, and I'm not sure what kind of back protection I want to get.
FWIW, I ride mainly for work, which means in and around downtown Chicago. need to be able to get in and out of the riding gear quickly, which is why I am going to go with an Aerostich.

I like the feeling of lots of protection, but it can't be too much of a hassle, or be really hot. Oh yeah, as long as I am looking for the impossible, if you have a Porsche I can get for free that would be great as well.
Trigger,

You didn't say which of the Aero's you are going with but if you are going to spend that kind of money anyway why don't you go with the one that is specifically designed for their suits? At $60.00 it seems reasonable. I used to ride with a Darien 2 piece and it is very comfortable temperature-wise but I found it to be extremely "stiff" material that took an incredibly long time to wear in so for me it made it uncomfortable. Excellent product though. Good luck with whatever you choose.

129_1sa.jpg

I had read somewhere that the $60 back protector wasn't all that great. If that is untrue, then that would be my first choice.

I ride with a 'Stitch Darien and have their $60 "back pad" in it. I've ridden with it for 60k and it's worth the money and easy to live with. It's essentiall made of the same materials and in the same way as the other TF2 pads in the jacket. It adds some bulk to the jacket and it's not a true hard shell design, but for daily wear, way better than nothing. I don't think I could live with the heavier ones on a regular basis, and frankly, I probably wouldn't take the time to put on a separate back protector for my normal street riding. Back Pad

They now offer a competition version, but clearly state that it's not as easy to live with on a day to day basis and more intended for specific times when you are wanting more protection like track days. Bohn also makes a heavy duty, very high quality back protector specifically designed to fit the Aerostitch jackets, with the option of velcroing in place and not using the straps to attach it directly to the body.

Competition back protector $120 They offer a specific version for a Falstaff jacket too.

Bohn Back Protector for 'Stitch $129

Bohn also offers a kit to mount the back protector, (either theirs for the 'stitch or the genuine 'stitch one), for $4 whole dollars if you want to put in some other jacket. Velcro kit

Bohn's full catalog listing

Trigger T,

I ride with a one piece Stitch - and I use the $60.00 back protection. It differs from the other armour used in the suit in that it also contains a flexible nylon spine protector that runs the length of your back.

And a sidebar - if you are going to invest in a one piece (I love mine - I never get on the bike without it) please ask to speak with Sally, and go through the process of having it tailored to fit you properly. If they have to lengthen/shorten sleeves and legs, it will cost a bit extra, but the end result if a very comfortable and protective suit. IMHO, it's also well worth it to buy the additional hip pads as well.

112181629-L.jpg

Of course, color is a personal choice ..... :huh:

KD,
Is that Kait on your sleeve? Never did find a good use for that but it seems that you have....
the best use of the arm sleeve holder - by far. Been keeping my kids' pictures in there for 10 years (or more), though I haven't updated lately.

As for back pads. I have a Bohn back pad made for the stich and a couple of complaints. if you use their velcro attachments it will quickly eat through the interior lining of your stich. I wear a Darien and you can see where the bohn ate through. It also doesn't fit into it all that well and will fall out. I usually ended up wearing it with the shoulder and waist strap. then I quit wearing it as this becomes a hassle. On a long trip i will put it on, but rarely for the daily commute.

I would suggest that for daily use - go with the one that you will leave in - which is the Aerostich designed back pad.

As for back pads. I have a Bohn back pad made for the stich and a couple of complaints. if you use their velcro attachments it will quickly eat through the interior lining of your stich. I wear a Darien and you can see where the bohn ate through. It also doesn't fit into it all that well and will fall out. I usually ended up wearing it with the shoulder and waist strap. then I quit wearing it as this becomes a hassle. On a long trip i will put it on, but rarely for the daily commute.

I would suggest that for daily use - go with the one that you will leave in - which is the Aerostich designed back pad.

I have used the Bohn in my 2pc aerostitch for about 4 yrs now. I ended up removing the velcro attachments

and just using the shoulder and waist straps. I always wear it. It seems that whenever I add a new safety or

protection item that I can't go without after using it for a while. :)

one more recommendation for the Aerostich back pad - I use one in the Darien and it does all the good stuff that's been mentioned already.

It also inspires my Darien with a sense of added safety and protection that's worth so much more than 60 bucks. I'd say - 'get it', you won't be disappointed.

cheers - Bull

I have used the Bohn for my 2pc stich now for 5 years. I think its the best protection for the stich. I have had no problems with it. It looks to give more protection then the stich protector they offer. Over 50k and still going!

I have the $60 backpad for my 1 piece stitch, replaced the 3 pieces of plastic that comes with it for a 1/4 thick piece of Kydex that I molded to my riding contour. Very comfortable. Don't even know its there. Not planning on ever actually "using it" of course.

Kydex available at San Diego Plastics.

I own 2 Aerostich one piece suits. I recently added hip pads and the competition back pad. The back pad is large and heavy, but I do not notice it while riding. An additional benefit, is that it keeps the head from hyperextending. Not enough to get in the way of riding, but would be additionally protective in the event of a get off.

D4D

If your looking for one of the best back protectors out there, regardless of your riding gear, then the T-Pro Forcefield is a good place to start. It is CE rated and a B2 Level back protector which is the highest rating to date. This back protector can absorb 90 joules of energy, which in comparison is almost twice the energy absorption rate of armor that BMW puts in its clothing. They also sell armor that will fit most off the shelf gear that is rated at 100 joules of energy absorption.

This back protector is also very comfortable to wear all day.

Here's a link to a review of 12 different back protectors done by UK RiDE magazine. These guys along with the German mag Motorrad are some of the only magazines out there who offer the real deal on what works and whats garbage and could give a rats ass about advertisers $$$. Forget anything you read in US mags, as they rarely shoot down any of the products they test.

Back protector review by RiDE magazine

Scroll down on this page for more reviews.

More reviews here

Also check out the Knox armor as it's also some of the very best you can find.

I ride with a 'Stitch Darien and have their $60 "back pad" in it. I've ridden with it for 60k and it's worth the money and easy to live with. It's essentiall made of the same materials and in the same way as the other TF2 pads in the jacket. It adds some bulk to the jacket and it's not a true hard shell design, but for daily wear, way better than nothing. I don't think I could live with the heavier ones on a regular basis, and frankly, I probably wouldn't take the time to put on a separate back protector for my normal street riding. Back Pad
They now offer a competition version, but clearly state that it's not as easy to live with on a day to day basis and more intended for specific times when you are wanting more protection like track days. Bohn also makes a heavy duty, very high quality back protector specifically designed to fit the Aerostitch jackets, with the option of velcroing in place and not using the straps to attach it directly to the body.

Competition back protector $120 They offer a specific version for a Falstaff jacket too.

Bohn Back Protector for 'Stitch $129

Bohn also offers a kit to mount the back protector, (either theirs for the 'stitch or the genuine 'stitch one), for $4 whole dollars if you want to put in some other jacket. Velcro kit

Bohn's full catalog listing
+1 on that. I have a Darien jacket and feel the same way. All my other jackets have some type of back protection as well.

Skip the Bohn, to bulky heavy and annoying for what you get.

Do one of the following

A) Get one of the Stich back protectors

-or-

' B) if you think that it isn't enough protection, get one that is independent from the suit, the Bohn distracts from the wear-ablility of the stich

-bvw.

Last edited by a moderator: