Back to FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camdenlake

Reaction score
Well i sold my 2005 FJR back in the spring. Seems i am now looking for one. :) . I kinda knew this would happen. Looking to genII maybe even brand new. Aside from the ground issue which i guess now yamaha has a fix for. I have read a few similar posts asking what to get. So thoughts?

Thanks all

Josh

If you are looking at Gen II, I might suggest you get as close to new as your wallet will take you.

Check to see if recalls have been done and get the extended warranty if possible.

Oh yeah, the more farkles the better.

Good luck with your search.

If you are looking at Gen II, I might suggest you get as close to new as your wallet will take you.

Check to see if recalls have been done and get the extended warranty if possible.

Oh yeah, the more farkles the better.

Good luck with your search.
There'll be some great deals coming up soon as the weather's cooling off... if ya buy something lightly used.

Gary

darksider #44

I suggest a 2009 or newer as the fuel injection and stiff throttle issues are a thing of the past. I have 2009. The ground issue was worked on a recall. The only problem I had with mine beside the ground issue was the instrument cluster was replaced at 12,000k miles in 2010 because the gear change indicator was inoperative. This was covered by Momaha's YES plan. So get a bike with YES and be happy! It is well known electrical gremlins exist in Gen IIs.

Happy hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of little subtle improvements with the '08s and up...I'd shoot for an '09 if you're looking for color (black is a color, right? :p )

Welcome back to the fold!

--G

So i have found what looks like a very clean and low kms 2009 AE. I have never ridden a AE before. Cant really test drive a private sale i wouldnt let anyone either. Thinking of taking the drive to have a look on the holiday monday. Is there any reason to shy away or skip the AE bikes? Are the less sporty? Can they be ridden as hard as the cluch units? From what i recall its a recluse clutch type system? So no engine breaking i assume? Sorry for all the qestions been a while since i looked into FJRs. Really never have bought my first one just cause it looked sweet and people said to get one :) they were right wish i had not sold it.

Hope questions dont offend any AE lover just dont know much about them.

Thanks again

Josh

AEs are just like a regular FJR 'cept you don't have to pull the clutch lever. Up / down shift, engine braking all the same and they can be ridden just as hard as a clutch model. From what I understand, the '09 AEs had more improvements compared to earlier years.

Good luck!

--G

AEs are just like a regular FJR 'cept you don't have to pull the clutch lever. Up / down shift, engine braking all the same and they can be ridden just as hard as a clutch model. From what I understand, the '09 AEs had more improvements compared to earlier years.

Good luck!

--G

Thanks. So you let off the thottle hit the button back on the thottle correct?

Thanks yet again :) .

Josh

Good luck!

--G
Thanks. So you let off the thottle hit the button back on the thottle correct?

Thanks yet again :) .

Josh
Let up the throttle and hit the LH index finger/thumb shifter or use the (electric) foot shifter. I'm sure an AE owner will chime in, but IIRC shift pattern has neutral all the way down.

--G

I like having a clutch. I think most folks agree with me for market prices on AE's are less than non-AE's. If the AE was a a market success then Momaha would still be making them. Bikes that are not successful on the market have a lower resale value. This means you should be able to find an AE at a lower price point than a traditional model. The only knock on the AE s you can't bump start it when your battery is near dead. Otherwise if an lever less clutch is fits your style it is a great bike.

I rode an AE this morning for the first time and it was love at first click :D

There will be one in my garage very soon

Pretty sure Europe still has the AE. So its still being manufactured. Just not sent here to the US. Wouldn't be the first time a good motorcycle was discontinued here due to lack of sales. Part of the problem are magazine reviews by idiots that can neither explain nor properly operate the AE. It's not that hard.

Wouldn't be the first time a good motorcycle was discontinued here due to lack of sales. Part of the problem are magazine reviews by idiots that can neither explain nor properly operate the AE. It's not that hard.

This is true of so many things is it not :) . Thanks for the help so far. Will keep upadting.

Josh

Latest posts