Backcountry Discovery Routes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzane

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Not specifically FJR riding but I was wondering if any of you adventure riders had done any of the Backcountry Discovery Routes. Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, all have off-road routes running cross-state north-south. I'd like to run some of those upon which you can ride an ATV. I don't have a dual sport and some states do not allow ATVs on public, even forest roads. Anybody want to talk about it? 

I first did the WABDR 10 years ago and wrote up a report about it here and done most of Oregon in a similar fashion as well as some parts of Idaho. 

None of them would I say that an ATV would work in their entirety because there are portions on public paved roads, and as you noted ATVs are not legal on many public roads.  This is the first time I remember the subject on this forum eve and while interesting--some place like ADVRider has probably covered before or more in depth.