backrest for the wife

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-
Reaction score
Well I finished another project for the 2015 FJR steamship. I needed another solution for the wife for her comfort. Yeh, she's spoiled.
love.gif
Truth is this keeps me from buying a stratoliner gold wing. Any way my yankee frugleness kicked in and this was all made from stuff I have around. Stainless square tube and some stainless sheet stock. The cover came off the original seats that I got back from Russell after they made my RDL. An Upholster I am not. I may make another attempt come this winter doing a better job later. For now it will have to do. Now for the pic's cause if you don't see proof it never happened.

Welded the tubing to the sheet
back side
DSCN1038_zpsq8g1jw8r.jpg

The other back side when mounted to the bike
DSCN1040_zpsmerkwmfa.jpg

I used 3/4 pressure treated plywood that I had hanging around and thinned it down a little to about 680 thick. I had some foam I pulled out of some aluminum travel cases from work that they were going to throw out. Nice dense stuff. The foam got glued to the wood with waterproof glue. Then I use the seat cover to wrap around it then stapled it. That's where I could have done a better job and may try again later.
The next pic's are of it mounted on the bike with and without the V47 Givi case.
DSCN1052_zpsgvntxktr.jpg

DSCN1055_zpsc7xfxvb3.jpg

DSCN1057_zpsbckhwx4q.jpg

DSCN1059_zpsokpglqa6.jpg

DSCN1063_zps3bafsbdl.jpg

Now it's on to the next project. Any guesses?
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, no armrest. Looking to do a shelf for the front of the bike next. I have it planned out and have programmed some of the parts already. That will take a bit of time and I have to get back on the run of the mill stuff again.

Edit: If other folks are looking for something similar you may want to contact Gary and let him know. This is a one off for me.

Dave

Like the two-tone RDLs. They look real sharp!
They were ordered to be black on top and grey on the sides. Russell made a mistake and called me after they were finished and realized what they did. They threw in a cover for the seat but I will be dammed If I can figure out how it goes on. (LOL) To tell the truth it worked out better this way because the grey doesn't soak up as much heat in the hot summer months. They were bought for the 08 and now reside on the 2015.

Thanks, Dave

I think they look really good just as they are. Definitely unique, and they'll get you and your bike noticed!