Bailey Or Rifle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzozzz

Reaction score
I just bought a 2004 FJR w/5000 miles - it's impressive - most impressive! My other two bikes were an RD350 (sccreamer) and GPZ 750.

Only thing I'm looking at changing now is the windshield - it's a tad to short for my height. Should I go Bailey's or Rifle - or other?

Rolf in RI

Oh no...the dreaded windshield thread! :(

Use the search feature. I'm sure there are baout 1,253 opinions about windshields, and they're all wrong, except mine! :D

Givi, CeeBalileys, Rifle and California Scientific are the ones most mentioned. There was an active discussion going on earlier this week....to be of more help, your dimensions would be helpful, i.e., I am 6'2", 32" inseam. That would give someone about the same height and inseam to give me his/her solution/opinion.

Oh yeah, welcome to the board and the wacky world of FJR ownership.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right - more info would help. I'm 6'1". I was guessing about +3+3 would do the trick. Does the flip and any turbulence or noise?

The Riffle Touring with there tuning block is what I used on my 03. I'm 6'1 and it's extra width made a better ride for the passenger.

Rolf, this is an extremely personal preference. I love my Givi. It performs well and still retains the aesthetic lines of the FJR (cost about $80-$90). See if you can find a *good* dealer that will let you try before you buy. That’s what I did. Stats: 6’0” 33” inseam. Good luck.

I'm 6'2", 32" inseam. I have the CeeBailey +4+3, std contour.

I have tried the flip and the turbulence is an ever present problem to me. The standard contour does not present this difficulty. I have a homemade tuning block that tilts the windshield back, so I can get "clear air" when its in the down position. While I never get the "elusive still pocket of air" without leaning forward about 3", I am more than satisfied. This is my 2nd FJR, and 4th windshield combination. I would like to meet with others and swap different windshields to see if there is a better combo for me....but alas...that hasn't happened yet.

I have only owned naked bikes until this year when I got my '05 FJR. So far I only use my windshield (raise it up) when the ambient air is below 45-50 degrees F. I only raise it to get the cold off my neck, and if I put it up too high I get turbulence on my head and back.

I bought a CeeBaileys 4+2 (from someone on this site) and that shield moved the air from hitting my chest to my helmet in the fully lower position so I took it off because the weather got hot (again). I'm waiting for real winter weather to put that shield back on and see if it is tolerable, or if I will just do my 12 mile commute in the truck when it gets real cold.

I think it was Smitty, on this site, who posted a cool mod for summer where he took a stock shield and cut it down to about 1/2 size. If I get enough farkle money next year I'm going to try that, if I can find someone to cut the shield for me.

Oh yeah, I'm 6'0", 185 lbs, 33" inseam, blue eyes and enjoy fine wine.

Call 867-5309 and ask for Tommy :D

For the homemade tuning block, some are using a 3/8" nut under each of the front windshield linkage screws. I used a 1/4" tall stack-up of SS washers under each w/ the corresponding increase in length for the screws. With the C/B shield this was right for my (5'9") height.

Some experimentation might be in order to get the right thickness and the correct (for you) tilt back. Be careful with too much specer, as the top linkage will contact the plastic @ full up.

--G

I'm 5'10" w/30" inseam and just got a CB +4+3. I added a 3/8" nylon spacer and 2 x American steel washers to the mounting bracked which tilts the screen back - much like the Rifle tuning block. Gotta say, this isn't the cure all. It is better than stock however. Full up I still get back pressure and feels like someone is pushing down on the top of my helmet. Full down it's great, smooth clean air. I don't have a cone of silence unless I push forward and down a little (I also have D&D risers). I've learned that there are different positions for different speeds that work just fine and are better than stock. Full up is ok until about 50+ MPH, after that I lower it about 2" and it's just fine. Again, better than stock, but don't expect perfection. Oh yeah, seems to be a good quality windscreen.

zzozzz,

Don't sweat the decision too much; you'll probably be happy with whatever you get. A lot of people like the tuning block or equivalent. I used nylon standoffs from Home Despot and longer mounting screws.

Thanks for all the feedback - especially the tuning block concept - I'll try it out.

I bought the Bailey's four inches taller and two inches wider flip. I am 6' 4"+ and felt like you about the stock windshield. If you live in a warm climate like I do you won't have or want a larger windshield. 90% of my riding (26,000 miles on my 05 FJR)is with the stock windshield in the full down position. If it's cold or wet, I will run the windshield up a little just to cause the wind to pass over the tops of my shoulders. THE BAILEY'S IS STORED. Keeping it only to see if I will want to put it on for the couple months of winter we have in the Houston area. If I don't use it, I am going to sell it. My guess is that the Bailey's will be history.

If you want to sell that windshield for a good price and it is in excellent condition, please let me know.

Thanks!

I put 5/8ths spacers with the ahamaY tall windshield. It made a significant improvemnt in speeds of 50-70mph. Much quieter and minimal buffeting. I have D&D risers and I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam. It rakes the screen pretty far and looks like it's ready to take my head off. The best part is that when it's warm out with this set up and the screen all the way down I get great airflow now. The next step is going to be a better and quieter helmet. I will post a pic when I get my computer back from the helpless desk. The wife's dosent have my kodak stuff loaded on it.

If you want to sell that windshield for a good price and it is in excellent condition, please let me know.
Thanks!
I may just have one for sale now. I forgot about one that just became available to me. Both are in like new condition. Both are the same size, 4' taller and 2" wider. One or two rides before they came off the bikes.

Good for me or good for you price??

What do you think it's worth to you. Consider shipping from Houston to LA.

Thanks!
I may just have one for sale now. I forgot about one that just became available to me. Both are in like new condition. Both are the same size, 4' taller and 2" wider. One or two rides before they came off the bikes.

Good for me or good for you price??

What do you think it's worth to you. Consider shipping from Houston to LA.
Brand new the flip top 4 inch taller, 2 inch wider goes for $170 brand new on their website, plus 8 dollars and change for UPS shipping.

What price do you think is fair for your windshield, assuming it is identical to the one I mentioned, but used?

I'm willing to offer $130.