Bakersfield to Fortuna

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am routing from Texas to stage for the "Cape to Cape" ride.

The router keeps wanting me to go 99 from Bakersfield to Sacramento before hitting I-5. Then it routes me to SF to hook up on 101 to Fortuna. It seems for a few extra miles, I should take I-5 all the way to Red Bluff, then head west on 36… (?) Or maybe take I-5 N and hook up with 101. In other rides I've found 99 to be slower than I-5. (?)

Can some Cali riders straighten me out?

Thanks, Tony

36 IS a great option, however they are currently "straightening" it on the W end. I just went by there on 101 N and there is a full closure now. Sign said up to 4 hour delays. Not sure when will be open. BUT, CA 299 a few miles N of there in Redding is a great option. Very fast, fun road in parts, connect to 101 in Arcata.

Don't understand Cape to Cape thang, butt if you want the quickest, I'd stay on I-5 to Red Bluff, 'n 36 over to Fortuna.

The fun way would be to go over HWY 108 to 395, to 89, take 89 along Lake Tahoe, up over Lassen, (My redneck alps tour.) then HWY 44 to Redding, 299 to HWY 3, down to HWY 36 and over to Fortuna.

36 IS a great option, however they are currently "straightening" it on the W end. I just went by there on 101 N and there is a full closure now. Sign said up to 4 hour delays. Not sure when will be open. BUT, CA 299 a few miles N of there in Redding is a great option. Very fast, fun road in parts, connect to 101 in Arcata.
Good call big dog Jeff, 101 prolly is best with that construction, unless he's there on the weekend. !)!'s nice once you get north of Cloverdale. :thumbsup:

Don't understand Cape to Cape thang, butt if you want the quickest, I'd stay on I-5 to Red Bluff, 'n 36 over to Fortuna.The fun way would be to go over HWY 108 to 395, to 89, take 89 along Lake Tahoe, up over Lassen, (My redneck alps tour.) then HWY 44 to Redding, 299 to HWY 3, down to HWY 36 and over to Fortuna.
"Cape to Cape" is a IBA ride. Cape Mendocino to Cape Hatteras

80 hours or the Gold version 67 hours

Don't understand Cape to Cape thang, butt if you want the quickest, I'd stay on I-5 to Red Bluff, 'n 36 over to Fortuna.The fun way would be to go over HWY 108 to 395, to 89, take 89 along Lake Tahoe, up over Lassen, (My redneck alps tour.) then HWY 44 to Redding, 299 to HWY 3, down to HWY 36 and over to Fortuna.

How many miles will that give you?

Don't understand Cape to Cape thang, butt if you want the quickest, I'd stay on I-5 to Red Bluff, 'n 36 over to Fortuna.

The fun way would be to go over HWY 108 to 395, to 89, take 89 along Lake Tahoe, up over Lassen, (My redneck alps tour.) then HWY 44 to Redding, 299 to HWY 3, down to HWY 36 and over to Fortuna.

The Cape to Cape will be part of my "Longest Month" (31k in 31 days)

The Cape to Cape, I am working on now

I am actually considering a southern route of I-40 over the I-80 route

Oh… In my quest for 100k in one year? The longest Month should put me over 81k for the year

Last edited by a moderator:

The Cape to Cape will be part of my "Longest Month" (31k in 31 days)

The Cape to Cape, I am working on now

I am actually considering a southern route of I-40 over the I-80 route

Oh… In my quest for 100k in one year? The longest Month should put me over 81k for the year
31K in 31 days, 100K in a year; I still don't understand! :)

Another option is go out HWY 36 to Mad River, then head south on Van Duzen, and Alderpoint to Garberville, to Honey Dew, to Cape Mendocino. But if yer try'in to roll up the most miles in the least time, going up to Redding and taking 299 across to Arcada, and down 101 to Fortuna, and then Cape Mendocino might be best? There's usually lots of cops on 299.

Good luck.

Tony, yer fucked.

Ca traffic sucks almost as bad as flatsland where you live. Your up I-5 through the city to 101 is the quickest route...IF you leave Bakersfield around 5 am. This will put you through the bay area late morning. I never go there anymore but as with most large metro areas late morning is way better than after 2 pm. I hate metro areas of any type..but that's me.

If you decide to take an extra day and ride up 395 to enjoy the sweet twisty roads of Ca. we always have a room for you in Peardale.

I have made some decisions and changes. On the BBG from Texas to stage at the motel in Fortuna, I am going to take I-5 all the way to Redding. The BBG should end in Redding, then I will the northern ride across and down into Fortuna.

On the Cape to Cape ride, I am considering a 4 pm start and ride 101 south. This would put me in the Bay Area after the rush. Then the rest of Cali would be a night ride on I-5 and out before morning rush.

Good plan? Bad plan?

Why wouldn’t you take the 80 / 70 route across the US? It would avoid most of Cali and all the shitty Bay Area ? Cape Mendocino to Reno, the head east ? Just wondering why the hell you want to go south through Cali on a cert ride ?

Why wouldn’t you take the 80 / 70 route across the US? It would avoid most of Cali and all the shitty Bay Area ? Cape Mendocino to Reno, the head east ? Just wondering why the hell you want to go south through Cali on a cert ride ?
I-29 from Omaha to Kansas City also has closures. The Northern route has a "Busy" eastern end to it.

But the main reason is; I have chronic back pain which is really getting bad. The SW gives me some relief

(Not much though) and I have to find a way to get these rides done this year…

Tony, figure you will deal with construction out here. The gas tax has Caltrans spending money like a drunk'n...opps I'd better stop here before I violate some rule I forgot when I signed up over a decade ago.

Hope all goes well but you have a few Cali friends who will be here for you if needed. Just call Carver-he ain't working no more. :)