Bar end nut removal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyitgobob

Reaction score
Any tips on bar end nut removal, you know, the nut encased in rubber inside the handlebars? I’ve tried pulling, tapping, oiling and twisting. I’m avoiding removing the grips and heating the bar for now. I certain it’s removable, as it’s available as a replacement part. Looks to be just a rubber cylinder with nut.

Bob

Interesting - my experiences in the past with my Gen1, were to just loosen the locking bolt (as you stated at the end of the handlebars), and then have just been able to wiggle them out.

I think the locking behaviour inside the (handlebar pipe) is due to an offset cam pair of metal blocks (?), so just jostling them while loosened should help you get each one out.

Any tips on bar end nut removal, you know, the nut encased in rubber inside the handlebars? I’ve tried pulling, tapping, oiling and twisting. I’m avoiding removing the grips and heating the bar for now. I certain it’s removable, as it’s available as a replacement part. Looks to be just a rubber cylinder with nut.

Bob
The Throttlemeister comes with a small "insert removal tool," which if I remember right can be replicated with a big washer and a bolt that is long enough to reach the insert. Thread it through the washer and into the insert's threads. Use a wrench to spin the bolt and pull the insert out.  It should NOT just slide right out. Mine and the couple I have dealt with have been pressed in there very well. 

Thanks to both of you for helpful replies. I’m bailing on this “upgrade” until I decide whether it’s really needed and worth the trouble of pulling my heated grips, the inserts, etc. 
Sometimes surfing eBay late at night can lead to bad decisions. Bought these heavy bar ends even though my FJR is fairly smooth. Oops.