Bargain Tire Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
I put the rear 180 on the FJR, $76.00 Got a code so free shipping. I was planning a SS 1000 and return back so wanted something new I could basically burn up on a lot of interstate. I've now got 3500 on the rear. I'm guessing it will give me at least 5K miles.

I am pretty impressed with the tire. It seems to be wearing a little faster than a premium tire but not significantly. It's holding it's shape well--I thought for sure it would be flat-spotted. Handling seems OK. It survived my 1100 mile day that ended in above 100 degree temps running pretty fast on an interstate. I was solo running pretty light on gear.

In summary, this tire is up to the big girl's demands. Can't vouch for the front or for heavier loads. At the price it's a damn good deal. I think I'll grab another while they're marked so far down.

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/46489/i/avon-3d-ultra-sport-av80-rear-tire?SITEID=Google+SEARCH+NON-BRAND+Product+Level+Ads+-+Google+Shopping+Campaign+Brands&P_ID=1738962683&adpos=1o1&creative=93111300293&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CJq3z--LvM0CFcRgfgodOxkB2w

Thanks for the quick report, Spud. Avons are next on my list.

Congratulations on the SS1K! The hardest part is getting your docs in order and mailed to Mr. Kneebone.

I just ordered a set for $141.98. This is the second year in a row when I have replaced half worn tires because I planned on a long trip and didn't want to have problems with tires. One of those sets were PR4's. I figure that if these tires don't last as long as the more expensive tires, who cares, I would be replacing them anyway for annual long trips. i forgot to mention the free shipping.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interested to hear how the handling is through a range of conditions, as well as the wear. Since I bought my 2208, I put 12K on a set of PR3-GTs and now about 9K on some PR4s. The PR4s are getting squared off on the rear (vast majority of my miles are commuting) so they'll need replacing soon. The PR3s wore very similarly. I experienced some cupping on the fronts of both sets. Their big selling point to me was the wet weather handling and mileage claims. But if a tire that is much less expensive is nearly as good, I'm in.

Joey.

Update. I never received acknowledgment of my order for tires from Motorcycle Superstores and after calling they claim to have no knowledge of my order. The prices of the tires I ordered have gone back up to regular prices. Got to get busy finding another set.

Hopefully helpful hint - when ordering online, I never close the "confirmation" web page until I receive the email with the same info.

Looks like the bargain is over. I didn't get around to getting another one--wish now I would have.

FWIW Brigestone BT023's are $227.98 -50.00 rebate if ordered by June 30th for a very reasonable $177.98 with free shipping from Jake Wilson. They even send in the rebate form for you. Got my set on the way!

Shame the tire's not still on sale, was well worth the $76. I'm getting ready to pull it (rear), got 4926 miles out of it, down to the wear bars now. Held it's shape nicely. Between a couple of rides it's taken me to Alberta, ID, MT, WY, UT, CO, NM, TX and Chihuahua. I won't complain. A pretty good alternative to the other mainstream tires if it's cheap enough.

Last edited by a moderator: