Battery Problem?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mortenk

Reaction score
I have noticed that when starting my bike in cold weather (below 40 degF) the dash info screen goes blank while I press the start button. On warmer days it doesn’t go blank. I wonder if this is a sign of a dying battery?

it cranks OK but the bike always fires immediately so I cannot tell much from this. 

Does the speedometer sweep when I turn the key mean anything? On my car it’s actually a battery check and I was able to spot a weak battery very early

Voltage is dropping a bit more under the load of starting. Could be a sign that the battery isn't as strong as it could be or could be a starter on the way out - drawing too much current.

Battery voltage always drops when you have a high draw such as when starting.  Voltage drop is greater as the ambient temperature drops.  If it is still starting OK and doesn't strain to turn over, I think you will be OK for a while.  Might not hurt to verify current draw during starting using a clamp-on DC ammeter, just in case starter is bad.  

If the trip odometer and clock reset, the voltage is way low and you are likely to have problems.

With a '16 I think it's fair to say the starter isn't going out. Have you checked the battery terminals to make sure they're tight? If okay, I'd replace the battery because it WILL fail at the most inopportune moment.

~G

With a '16 I think it's fair to say the starter isn't going out. Have you checked the battery terminals to make sure they're tight? If okay, I'd replace the battery because it WILL fail at the most inopportune moment.

~G

I also concur, check the terminals first.  And how do you ride, are you getting the battery recharged; short trips are hard on a battery.  It may be a weak battery or an undercharged one.

Thanks for all suggestions. I ride 30 min in the morning and 30 min in the evening, so it should be enough to keep the battery charged. Terminals look clean and tight, so I'm guessing it's just the initial signs of a worn out battery. I experienced a similar situation on my previous ST, and I was even able to hear a different cranking sound during the last few weeks before the battery died. I was able to push-start the bike quite easily for a week while I waited for a new battery - always parking on top of a hill made this quite easy.

I may try to push-start my FJR tonight, so that I know how that feels before I really need it 😉

Terminals look clean and tight, so I'm guessing it's just the initial signs of a worn out battery.
Looked?  You're able to tell from visual inspection alone if two metal surfaces are tight? Pull the screw driver or socket out and physically tension it.