Battery Replacement and Check Engine Light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloppy

Reaction score
Fartsville, near Podunk over in Western NC
I pulled dumbski the other day by leaving the key in my bike, having it in the on position and running the battery down. Unfortunately it needed to be replaced. After changing the battery, it turned easily but didn't seem to catch fire. After cranking it a second time it started but the check engine light came on. Does anyone know what may have caused this, will the light go out or is there any way to reset it. Thanks

I pulled dumbski the other day by leaving the key in my bike, having it in the on position and running the battery down. Unfortunately it needed to be replaced. After changing the battery, it turned easily but didn't seem to catch fire. After cranking it a second time it started but the check engine light came on. Does anyone know what may have caused this, will the light go out or is there any way to reset it. Thanks
I have done the same thing on my 2016 a few times. Has gotten to the point I bought the code reader and conversion cable to reset the error.

if you live near NJ bring it over and I can reset it. Saves the trip to the dealer…. The fault comes up as a cpu failure usually. If I really kill the battery it throws a few others in.

yup have done this a few times..

I have done the same thing on my 2016 a few times. Has gotten to the point I bought the code reader and conversion cable to reset the error.

if you live near NJ bring it over and I can reset it. Saves the trip to the dealer…. The fault comes up as a cpu failure usually. If I really kill the battery it throws a few others in.

yup have done this a few times..
Where is the OBD port on the FJ. I went ahead and ordered a scan tool instead of taking the bike to the bike to the dealer. I checked under the seat and couldn't find it. Is is located near the battery.

Where is the OBD port on the FJ. I went ahead and ordered a scan tool instead of taking the bike to the bike to the dealer. I checked under the seat and couldn't find it. Is is located near the battery.
Under the seat, under the seat height adjuster. Pretty sure thats the location.
-Steve

On my 2017 there is an USB plug near the steering column, I think this is also for an OBD, although the local stealership didn't seem to have any idea what it was for. What it doesn't do is power any USB devices.

I'm going to assume you're not the original owner? I'd have to chase that USB wire as it has to have been an add-on at some point. (Any chance the bike has a Garmin GPS mount?)

It is buried under the seat… it has a cover on it. Had to show the dealer where it was. You will need the converter cable

Latest posts