Battery replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having worked for YUASA for 12 years before retiring I have heard this debate go on for some time. Li technology definitely is great in the right application. I don't believe a sport touring machine is one of those applications. I am obviously bias but when I need a battery for my FJR or Super Tenere I know what my money will go for.
I've got the opposite view. Having gone through god knows how many YUASA (lead acid) batteries in snowmobiles, jetskis and motorcycles I buy pretty much anything but them. The sleds and ski get Gel and the bikes get LiPo

My 2003 has a Shorai, installed by the previous owner. The only problem, if you want to call it a problem, is it is very finicky to temperature extremes. Doesn't like too hot or too cold. Battery placement almost directly over the engine results in the battery overheating when the bike is turned off. Unless the battery/engine cools totally down, takes multiple starter hits to fire the engine. Same with too cold. Have to turn the ignition on and let sit with multiple starter hits before firing. If I'm riding with a group I have to plan ahead if it's too cold. Gotta get out there before everyone else to get the bike started and ready to go when everyone else is ready to go. Sweet spot for this battery seems to be about 50 to 90 degrees. Any temps above or below results in sluggish starting.
Your problem with excessive heat could be a symptom of an issue with your starter. Good idea to check by measuring starting amps with a clamp-on DC ammeter. Tends to be more common to fail when hot.

Your problem with excessive heat could be a symptom of an issue with your starter. Good idea to check by measuring starting amps with a clamp-on DC ammeter. Tends to be more common to fail when hot.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it, although I'm a dunce when it comes to electrical. I'm skeptical it's the starter though. But, I've been wrong before. Battery is at least 7 years old now, so I may be due for a new battery anyway.

I Read the reviews doesnt seem that great. Iam thinking of buying a gel battery? Your battery still holding up?
I would recommend an AGM rather than a gel cell. They tend to be more robust. The jury is still out on Lithium but I would definitely stay away from them in a cold climate - saw from your previous post that you were from Minnesota.
MotoBatt seems to have those who love them or hate them. A little more $$ for Yuasa brand but I have found them to be very reliable. (Still running the original battery in my 2011 although it is beginning to get tired - maybe one more year...)

I would recommend an AGM rather than a gel cell. They tend to be more robust. The jury is still out on Lithium but I would definitely stay away from them in a cold climate - saw from your previous post that you were from Minnesota.
MotoBatt seems to have those who love them or hate them. A little more $$ for Yuasa brand but I have found them to be very reliable. (Still running the original battery in my 2011 although it is beginning to get tired - maybe one more year...)
Yuasa.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it, although I'm a dunce when it comes to electrical. I'm skeptical it's the starter though. But, I've been wrong before. Battery is at least 7 years old now, so I may be due for a new battery anyway.

I am not sure what your issue is but it is abnormal. I have a 7 year old Shorai that starts my FJR easily in the 100+ temps I experience for months all summer long in Arizona. And zero issues re-starting when everything is hot. And in the few times I have experienced cold temps while traveling I haven't had any issues either. That being said, I tend to think the newer Li batteries might be better than the older ones. I am wondering if they figured some things out over the years. And now I only buy the Antigravity Li moto batteries. They seem to have some better features than the Shorai - most importantly they have a safety feature that keeps you from killing the battery by over-discharging it.

The next battery I will try a lithium. My bike is always indoors and it is rare that the temperature drops below 0. I think 3 Kg weight saving in that specific location is quite a lot. In addition, lithium batteries have been significantly improved. I still have the original battery, which is now more than 7 years old.

I have a 2010 FJR1300 that needs a new battery. Current battery is YUASA GT14B-4. Has anyone used a different brand when replacing? If so, what is recommended?

Thanks.
Hi, I have a six year old Shorai that starts my FJR-AE easily through our riding season and had no issues at all. I normally put the bike to sleep at the beginning of December and don't do anything special like removing the batter, it's just has a motorcycle cover over the bike. Normally give it a one day trickle charge in February then usually uncover the bike in April and it fires up every year. We have temps here down in the -12c and summer highs in the 30c range, never had starting issues. Also had a Honda ST1300 with a Shorai lithium battery on it for 4 years (when I sold it gave the new owner the expensive charger with it!) so would recommend the Shorai even though they are pricey compared with most other types and brands. Oh, don't think it makes any difference but they are a fraction of the weight and size of a normal lead-acid battery, fits in the battery location easily with the rubber packing strips that come with the new battery.

Hi, I have a six year old Shorai that starts my FJR-AE easily through our riding season and had no issues at all. I normally put the bike to sleep at the beginning of December and don't do anything special like removing the batter, it's just has a motorcycle cover over the bike. Normally give it a one day trickle charge in February then usually uncover the bike in April and it fires up every year. We have temps here down in the -12c and summer highs in the 30c range, never had starting issues. Also had a Honda ST1300 with a Shorai lithium battery on it for 4 years (when I sold it gave the new owner the expensive charger with it!) so would recommend the Shorai even though they are pricey compared with most other types and brands. Oh, don't think it makes any difference but they are a fraction of the weight and size of a normal lead-acid battery, fits in the battery location easily with the rubber packing strips that come with the new battery.
I tend to do the same with my AGM battery - leave it connected to the bike without a tender and one (or two) winter top-offs and never an issue. I am hearing more and more reports about good Lithium battery performance in cooler climates. Might have to reconsider for the next one (if my OEM ever wears out completely). I won't use a battery that requires "pre-warming" by failed start attempts or turning on some accessory.
I do like the notion of lighter weight and very slow self-discharge rate. High cranking amps without severe voltage drop, at least when warm (even if theoretical capacity is lower).

I posted earlier in this thread about my Yuasa OEM being 7 years old and still going strong, well now it's 9 years and it's still going strong.
You got the one that works longer than a year - congrats :p

The next battery I will try a lithium. My bike is always indoors and it is rare that the temperature drops below 0. I think 3 Kg weight saving in that specific location is quite a lot. In addition, lithium batteries have been significantly improved. I still have the original battery, which is now more than 7 years old.
Yeah. I ride down into the 20's but the bike sitting in the garage doesn't really get below 34. I took this video of a cold start early this year after the last conversation about LiPo batteries and the cold. Never had one not want to start right up in any bike.

Yeah. I ride down into the 20's but the bike sitting in the garage doesn't really get below 34. I took this video of a cold start early this year after the last conversation about LiPo batteries and the cold. Never had one not want to start right up in any bike.
Sounded good to me but you take a chance starting and then shutting down before letting it warm up all the way - sometimes floods and makes the next start difficult!! Seems these batteries have come a long way.
You got the one that works longer than a year - congrats :p
10 years and 160,000+ mi on the OEM in my '07 and 11 years and 100,000 miles in the '11 (so far)...

Sounded good to me but you take a chance starting and then shutting down before letting it warm up all the way - sometimes floods and makes the next start difficult!! Seems these batteries have come a long way.

10 years and 160,000+ mi on the OEM in my '07 and 11 years and 100,000 miles in the '11 (so far)...
It's carbureted and needs a choke and throttle when cold. One thing that bike never does is flood.

Latest posts