Battery Stress Test

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRide

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the FJR Battery died in the parking lot of my office... on a Friday afternoon. No chance to leave it until the morning, (when I could probably get it going). I was able to get a trickle charger to the bike (I live nearby) and it started red and went to green, so great. But one crank of the starter and was dead again. So, had it trailered to a local shop. I wasn't convinced it was the battery since it had a 'hicup' during starting for 2 years. But it always started. The shop was firm about an Electrical Diagnosis to zero in on the problem and quickly identified a dead battery, expired, no juice whatsoever... caput. This new $100 YUSA Battery ended up costing $397, with the tow. Ouch. Other than a regular trickle charge, Is there a simple DIY Battery Stress Test to know the available amps, at rest, and to keep an eye on this in the future?

Uhh....  a push start would have saved you a bunch of dead presidents my friend. Also, may I suggest one of the lithium jump start batteries out there?  Even if you don't carry it on the bike, since you were close to home you could have gone home and gotten it.  I carry mine on long trips and if I think I have a weak battery.  It has saved my ass and proved well worth it's value over the years.

As for catching a weakening battery, my suggestion is to run a voltmeter as a farkle.  That will show you trends, resting voltage, cranking voltage and whatnot.  My favorite is the Datel.

As SkooterG said, a voltmeter MAY give you some warning of imminent failure of a charging system.  Useful for monitoring the inevitable decline of any battery and the health of the charging system.  Good to have if you are running a bunch of extra stuff like heated gear and aux lighting to make sure the charging system is keeping up.  Unfortunately, not all batteries die gradually and can go from OK one day to dead overnight due to a shorted or "open" cell.  Voltmeter may not give you any warning.  (Push start with a totally dead battery probably won't work since there is insufficient voltage to run the ECU or injectors.)

Note:  Watch the voltage on starting - if it drops a lot, it could mean that the battery's cranking amp capacity is down OR it could mean that the starter is drawing too much current and is on the way out.  In either case, it needs to be checked.

I also like the security of having a Lithium jump starter on trips (haven't needed it yet).

Uhh....  a push start would have saved you a bunch of dead presidents my friend. Also, may I suggest one of the lithium jump start batteries out there?  Even if you don't carry it on the bike, since you were close to home you could have gone home and gotten it.  I carry mine on long trips and if I think I have a weak battery.  It has saved my ass and proved well worth it's value over the years.

As for catching a weakening battery, my suggestion is to run a voltmeter as a farkle.  That will show you trends, resting voltage, cranking voltage and whatnot.  My favorite is the Datel.
It was a series of unfortunate evets... I thought about a running jump start but it was too crowded, blah, blah. Link to a portable Lithium?

Link to a portable Lithium?
Go to Amazon or eBAy and look for Lithium Jump Starter.  THOUSANDS of hits.  Look at ratings by buyers as well as ratings articles on Google search and hope you have some luck - not all are created equally.  "Antigravity" has had some good ratings but definitely not the cheapest.

If the battery is DEAD, a push start will not work. It needs the battery to run the ECU. No computer, no start.