Battery Tender Cable

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danh600

Reaction score
I would like to add one to my 2013 FJR. Do any of you guys have pictures or an explanation of how you did it. Looks like there might be enough room to run one just down from the battery so I could reach underneath to attach the tender. I hate to drill a hole in that panel A.

I do as you suggested, just tuck the end under the panel until I need it. If you feel like being fancy, the picture below is intended to be a tank bag power feed through, but it could be attached to a panel. The battery would attach to the two pin plug and all you would see on the panel is the power port. Trailer and RV shops have many different SAE connectors and panel mounted power ports available.

10001629_880_FR_10.JPG

I do as you suggested, just tuck the end under the panel until I need it. If you feel like being fancy, the picture below is intended to be a tank bag power feed through, but it could be attached to a panel. The battery would attach to the two pin plug and all you would see on the panel is the power port. Trailer and RV shops have many different SAE connectors and panel mounted power ports available.
10001629_880_FR_10.JPG
+1

I used this same hookup running off a fuze block to add power to my top case for trunk charging in rainy weather.

I initially wired an SAE connector direct to battery for charging as well. I later added heated gear and discovered the SAE connector can't handle the current loads of the heated gear. Rather then have two different connectors hanging off bike, I now use just the higher current coax connector and use an SAE to coax adapter on the Tender. Something to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran mine from the battery tucked under the tank so just the connector pokes out from under the tank and rests on the frame. You don't notice it at all untill you want to plug in and there it is.

Gen II and it sounds like I routed mine the same way as Fastpappy. Inconspicuous and easy to connect to. Has worked for over 4 years with no problems.

I hooked up a battery tender harness, the lead exits between the tank and side panel. My adapter for my heated gear serves as a short extension and I replaced the fuse with a 15amp so as to be able to run my slime electric air pump if needed.

I routed mine from the battery and along the wiring bundle under the front fairing and out with the bundle that goes to the handlebars through that loop just to the right of the the steering head next to the ignition switch. From there I can use an SAE to USB adapter to power my phone when I'm using it as a GPS. It's very convenient there for charging as well. With the little cap on it it looks almost like it belongs there.

I also have a similar setup. Direct wire into battery and I ran the tender cable down the inside of the panel and I just let the end of the cable hang out right next to the right fork tube. I just reach up along the right fork and plug in. It could be a little easier if I really wanted it to be but it works just fine, with no drilling and no extra cost beyond a few cable ties. I did have this thought before I ended up with my current setup....I planned on running the tender cable up into the front dash panel into the small area just to the right of the right side windshield arm. I thought that would be a "slick" placement for a small tender plug to be mounted.