Be aware of why others do things on the road

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
Reaction score
I have heard from many non-motorcycle riders that riding a bike would be so fun and easy. Many times I have told them how tired I am when I come back from a short trip on the bike. They don't get it and think we just sit there and turn the throttle and let the wind blow thru our hair, FUN. I try to edumecates them by telling them how alert I am and how I look farther ahead and watch so many more vehicles, the drivers, looking for outs, looking for what could happen if A or B happened. Then they'll say, "Well that doesn't sound like fun". Maybe not to them, but it's part of riding a bike.

My short story for paying attention while riding.

The other day while riding to work. I was on a main street in Huntington Beach, CA, about dawn, still dark sun just starting to rise. The traffic and I were doing about the same speed on a major thoroughfare (45mph), 3 lanes in each direction, I'm in the far right lane. A couple cars did a jack rabbit start from the light we were at and got ahead of me in the number one and two lanes, oh well. I just hung back riding to work checking my surroundings. I'm approaching a major intersection with a traffic signal, it's green for our direction of traffic and had been for some time, I'm at the speed limit. I notice the two cars brake lights are applied. I thought, "Hmm, why the brakes, I don't see anything". I let off of the throttle and get ready for a hand full of brakes just incase. I start to notice something in my lane, it's in the cross walk and it's sort of moving, but I can't make it out yet. While observing this, I decide to brake, looking for an out incase I must make a fast lane change, all is clear. I see the said object is moving towards the sidewalk. As I get closer I see that it's a little old woman turning, and hobbling back to the sidewalk. I brake even more and hit my high beams, and horn. The woman looked at me like I was crazy and she continued to hobble onto the sidewalk. I changed lanes and motored on by while shaking my head.

I could not believe this person was starting to cross the street against the traffic signal (in the dark), and then she headed back when she saw the other cars and me. Even though I was really alert if it had not been for the warning from the cars, there was a very good chance I would have had a new front end ornament.

My point is, know what's around you. Watch what others are doing, and why. They could be huge hints for you and your safety, as well as the safety of others.

Have fun, ride safe. ;)

Good point. If something looks as though it doesn't belong in that picture, it probably doesn't and it's your job to figure out why, and what to do about it, quickly.

Perhaps every day is that dark for granny, because she has bad cataracts. Just couldn't see, and she's deaf anyway. There didn't used to be much traffic at that intersection fifty years ago, which is when her memory started to fail.

Good point. If something looks as though it doesn't belong in that picture, it probably doesn't and it's your job to figure out why, and what to do about it, quickly.

Perhaps every day is that dark for granny, because she has bad cataracts. Just couldn't see, and she's deaf anyway. There didn't used to be much traffic at that intersection fifty years ago, which is when her memory started to fail.

Or, since she is old and moving slowly, she started across with the correct light and only got part way. If that is the case, she has the right of way regardless of what the signals say for the cars as she started across with a legal movement. If the crosswalk signal is set up correctly it assumes you walk about 3.5 feet per second. From your description, she was obviously much slower than that.

It is the same thing for cars that enter the intersection before the signal goes red, if you hit them before they clear the light you are at fault, because you have failed to yield the right of way to a car already in the intersection.

Your point is well taken, always be aware of your surroundings.

Duckshit Aubie!

As this "sluggish economy" keeps dragging out more an more, "social" programs suffer... Hence the escaped Alzheimer's patient in his path..

Might I be so bold as to suggest either let their kin keep an eye on em...

Or buy a big assed truck and "Darwin" they asses.

Crude..... But effective.

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:

Or, since she is old and moving slowly, she started across with the correct light and only got part way. If that is the case, she has the right of way regardless of what the signals say for the cars as she started across with a legal movement. If the crosswalk signal is set up correctly it assumes you walk about 3.5 feet per second. From your description, she was obviously much slower than that.

It is the same thing for cars that enter the intersection before the signal goes red, if you hit them before they clear the light you are at fault, because you have failed to yield the right of way to a car already in the intersection.

Your point is well taken, always be aware of your surroundings.
+1, Gunny; Silver Penguin and AuburnFJR!

I have heard from many non-motorcycle riders that riding a bike would be so fun and easy. Many times I have told them how tired I am when I come back from a short trip on the bike. They don't get it and think we just sit there and turn the throttle and let the wind blow thru our hair, FUN. I try to edumecates them by telling them how alert I am and how I look farther ahead and watch so many more vehicles, the drivers, looking for outs, looking for what could happen if A or B happened.
I know what you mean. After a long day at work, when I'm feeling beat, I crawl up onto the bike and venture out into rush-hour traffic when cagers are as beat as I am, in a hurry to get home, and when 70% of rush-hour motorcycle accidents happen.

So I reach deep down and dial up the brain light bulb to maximum. By the time I get home I am just exhausted mentally, with little or no conversation left for Fang over the dinner table.

JB

Yeah, Simon.

I'll sometimes ride up on the sidewalk to bag an old lady.

Oh dear. That smacks of desperation, Michael. Dolly doesn't have time for you in her busy travels?
Jillybean, I didn't say "shag". I said "bag".

:D

But, "desperation" might hit close to h....never mind.

Simon should know better than to ride through Huntington Beach.

Those chauffeurs will run you over.

I have heard from many non-motorcycle riders that riding a bike would be so fun and easy. Many times I have told them how tired I am when I come back from a short trip on the bike. They don't get it and think we just sit there and turn the throttle and let the wind blow thru our hair, FUN. I try to edumecates them by telling them how alert I am and how I look farther ahead and watch so many more vehicles, the drivers, looking for outs, looking for what could happen if A or B happened. Then they'll say, "Well that doesn't sound like fun". Maybe not to them, but it's part of riding a bike.

My short story for paying attention while riding.

The other day while riding to work. I was on a main street in Huntington Beach, CA, about dawn, still dark sun just starting to rise. The traffic and I were doing about the same speed on a major thoroughfare (45mph), 3 lanes in each direction, I'm in the far right lane. A couple cars did a jack rabbit start from the light we were at and got ahead of me in the number one and two lanes, oh well. I just hung back riding to work checking my surroundings. I'm approaching a major intersection with a traffic signal, it's green for our direction of traffic and had been for some time, I'm at the speed limit. I notice the two cars brake lights are applied. I thought, "Hmm, why the brakes, I don't see anything". I let off of the throttle and get ready for a hand full of brakes just incase. I start to notice something in my lane, it's in the cross walk and it's sort of moving, but I can't make it out yet. While observing this, I decide to brake, looking for an out incase I must make a fast lane change, all is clear. I see the said object is moving towards the sidewalk. As I get closer I see that it's a little old woman turning, and hobbling back to the sidewalk. I brake even more and hit my high beams, and horn. The woman looked at me like I was crazy and she continued to hobble onto the sidewalk. I changed lanes and motored on by while shaking my head.

I could not believe this person was starting to cross the street against the traffic signal (in the dark), and then she headed back when she saw the other cars and me. Even though I was really alert if it had not been for the warning from the cars, there was a very good chance I would have had a new front end ornament.

My point is, know what's around you. Watch what others are doing, and why. They could be huge hints for you and your safety, as well as the safety of others.

Have fun, ride safe. ;)
+1 from DR

Yeah, Granpa and both grandchildren just got killed about a year ago crossing a no-lights region of 6-lane University Blvd at 10pm. Definitely Darwin in action. There was also Gramma getting run over (by a reindeer?) on Colonial 3 months ago. I actually saw that one from the local Dennys. It reminded me I needed more ketchup for my fries. I can still see her flying up in the air like a rag doll.

One time though, I was in my roommate's car going down 436 when a COP steps off the curb in front of us. It was a deputy sheriff in his dark green uniform, and he was nearly invisible in the lighting conditions at 6:45pm. We saw him barely in the nick of time to avoid hitting him. You'd think he'd know better, but obviously not.

Yeah, Simon.

I'll sometimes ride up on the sidewalk to bag an old lady.

Oh dear. That smacks of desperation, Michael. Dolly doesn't have time for you in her busy travels?
Jillybean, I didn't say "shag". I said "bag".

:D

But, "desperation" might hit close to h....never mind.

Simon should know better than to ride through Huntington Beach.

Those chauffeurs will run you over.
Jill and Mick, I'm just surprised Bluesy didn't also give the poor little old lady a boot kick in the ass, since he had already driven her right out of the legal CROSSWALK!!

Yeah, Granpa and both grandchildren just got killed about a year ago crossing a no-lights region of 6-lane University Blvd at 10pm. Definitely Darwin in action. There was also Gramma getting run over (by a reindeer?) on Colonial 3 months ago. I actually saw that one from the local Dennys. It reminded me I needed more ketchup for my fries. I can still see her flying up in the air like a rag doll.

One time though, I was in my roommate's car going down 436 when a COP steps off the curb in front of us. It was a deputy sheriff in his dark green uniform, and he was nearly invisible in the lighting conditions at 6:45pm. We saw him barely in the nick of time to avoid hitting him. You'd think he'd know better, but obviously not.

Darwin has a busy time, with some of the dumb people around. I was driving my car, in the right lane of a six lane main road. Just passed a light and approaching a red light, so I was slowing. Then I see Mom, Pop, three kids and a stroller weaving their way across the six lanes. For heaven's sake - there was a cross walk to either their left or their right. Several cars hit their brakes. One of the kids ran into the side of my car, breaking off the mirror. I pulled over as did the guy in front of me. He was sure he'd hit the stroller, but thankfully hadn't. The family seemed OK and refused to have any help summoned. I was shaken at the time but later got angry. Wonder what the INS and DCFS would have had to say about the incident? I was out the cost of a mirror, thanks to their stupidity and impatience. Those 'parents' risked their, and their childrens' lives for what?

When I got home, and calmed down a bit, I called the local PD and reported the incident. It was suggested to me that someone may later develop a litigious injury and claim that the drivers took off. My report was given to the officer, without mentioning the ethnicity of the family. Would you believe that he knew right away, without being told?

Had I been on two wheels, the outcome may have been far different.

Darwin has left the building.

I guess if I was wiser I'd sell my bikes and buy a Hummer to improve my own chances of surviving so I should not be one to criticize.

NA society has encourages survival of the weakest.

Prime example:

Near my home there is a major intersection with a good light system and a well controlled pedestrian crossing. There is plenty of time to cross if you are not too stupid or lazy to push the damn button. If you don't push it the pedestrian signal remains red and the light does not stay green for the cars as long.

And of course people get caught in the intersection.

Given the dropping level of human intelligence, all rather predictable.

Not much south there is another very similar intersection. So what's the problem? Between these two great crossing opportunities people jaywalked across six lanes of busy traffic and SURPRISE! some got killed. So what happened? The city put a light for pedestrians to stop traffic mid block. This increases rush hour traffic and frustration and idling and pollution ... and now the real lazy asses still won't walk to one of the three safe crossings and use the button. Instead they jaywalk between the pedestrian light and either of the intersections. And of course someone has already been hit doing that.

How dumbed down does the system have to get before we hit the bottom?