Beamer Reamer and Mrs. hit a forest rat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer Reamer

Death Before Disco
Reaction score
Original story was here: Click

Pictures added in post 90

1. Injury count: Post #1 in this topic

2. Heroism and Group Riding: Post #23 in this topic

3. The deer strike story: Post #36 in this topic

4. Gear review: Post #61 in this topic

5. Insurance: Post #83 in this topic

First off, if you set off 500+ miles just to be run over by a deer, and then careen down a cliff/hill thing, through trees and brush and who knows what all copulating within, only to launch/crash/endo land into what I will call a "rocky" lake - I think being able to enumerate the list of injuries is a must. If Colleen and I have to feel this lousy, we want to brag about why. (kind of like wiping out on a skate board - it is all about the scars)

The totals so far:

David – right lower leg broke in two places, one a compound fracture that came up through the front of the leg. Broken right pelvis. Broken left scapula. 7 broken ribs, all in the back. T10 vertebrae grenaded in a big way. The leg now has a new titanium rod and a few screws. The pelvis has a screw, the scapula and ribs get nothing. The T10 vertebrae is now “fused” to the two vertebrae above and the two below with titanium rods on each side. A set of five all tied together now. I got a cool scar down the center or the back, maybe 8 or 10 inches long - can't wait for the next shirts against skins pickup game.

Colleen: Right knee shattered. Left lower leg bone in many pieces. Right shoulder a disaster area of mushed bone. She had the knee reconstructed with like 15 screws and a new cable to support the main tendon. The right leg has a miracle of 3 plates and 19 screws. The right shoulder has much the same, an intricate network of plates and screws. She has a couple of super cool scars that she says won't hurt her vanity one bit. One down the front of the leg and one from her shoulder down the front of her arm.

Not even gonna list off the bruises and puncture wounds from trees and such. What I will say is that we received ZERO abrasions or road rash. We had on full gear (yes Tyler, our bottoms zipped to our tops) and that had to have taken some abuse. I haven't seen mine since the helicopter folks chopped it off but someone might have it. Looking for helmet as well.

David

(future posts in this topic from me will include our own version of the ride report, gear thoughts and reviews, thoughts on riding with groups, the life saving actions of my peers, and the mysterious ethereal cowboy)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, plan on a little extra time at the TSA check point in the airport. Hopefully they don't go straight for the cavity search... ;)

What's the cliche` -- chicks dig scars :p

Seriously, glad to see your sense of humor stayed in tact B)

David & Brian, we need to find that "mysterious ethereal cowboy." :cowboy: We owe him a pair of cowboy boots. :biggrinsmiley: Oh and Colleen might want to buy him a chaw [sp] of chew.

Awesome Blessings of Healing to you and the wife.

Great to have you posting on the board after such a list of medical marvels.

You two have a great attitude about this which is a tremendous encouragement to many of us out here

routing for a strong recovery for both of you.

Jay-zus!

Very glad you're still here with us.

From the tone of your post, I'd say that either (1) you're in terrific spirits; (' B) you're on some awesome pain meds!

Hi. Although I have not met you personally, I would like to say that its so inspiring to see you guys bounce back - especially after seeing the accident pictures and now, the list of injuries. I'm glad you guys are on your way to recovery. I wish you well and hope that you make a full recovery!

Nik.

Glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humor. :yahoo: The list of inuries however is pretty horific. You are survivors. Bionic couple. Hope to meet you some day for a ride.

Looking forward to reading more Dave. :)

VERY happy to hear you guys are on the mend. Please pass on my best to Colleen as well.

duane

Another board member you have never met that is very glad to hear that you are both on the mend. Blessings to you and your wife for a continued successful recovery. :good:

That sucks! I hate deer. I have hit 3 with the cage but none on the bike yet. Get well soon and hope to meet you and the wife on the road sometime.

Good to hear from you BReamer! It was great seeing you and the Mrs. last week...but I didn't need to see all the scars. ;) So glad that you two are back home and beginning the healing process.

BTW -- My trip through forest rat infested country was uneventful with nary a sighting.

Talk to you soon.

--G

David and Colleen, will be head up to finish off that road Thursday, "unfinished business" if you know what I mean. I'm headed for Montana for a reunion on the third running the back roads as the main roads don't work for me.

So glad your home, heal fast and looking forward to your thoughts!

You two take care, and you have my number if you need. K.

sending you well wishes for continued improvement and healing. that was a wipeout of epic proportions, so it's very good to hear from you and hear the positive vibe in your post.

keep on keeping on and we'll keep supporting you in person and from across the web!

David and Colleen, I've only met you one time, at CFO, Nakusp. And you both touched my heart, way before this crap. Why, oh, why, do you both have to be such over-achievers? :unsure: Jeesh, you guys know how to rack up the serious injuries from one lousy bambi...

From a guy who has been busted up (not BustaNutted, jes' sayin') to recover will take some time. And it may never be the 'same'. So it is with life, aging, and injuries, physical and mental. I will tell you this - it does get better. Hang in there. Read Tyler's post about her 1 year 'birthday'.

Love both of you peeps - stay strong my friends.

sending you well wishes for continued improvement and healing. that was a wipeout of epic proportions, so it's very good to hear from you and hear the positive vibe in your post.
keep on keeping on and we'll keep supporting you in person and from across the web!
What she said above. Hope maybe we get to ride together again down in Maupin someday. I got a couple of deer that walk through my yard almost everyday. I wonder if I should make them "disappear", in the interest of road safety, and maybe paybacks? Say the word! :evilsmiley03: :evilsmiley03: