Beamer Reamer and Mrs. hit a forest rat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Injury count: Post #1 in this topic

2. Heroism and Group Riding: Post #23 in this topic

3. The deer strike story: Post #36 in this topic

4. Gear review: Post #61 in this topic

5. Insurance: Post #83 in this topic

Insurance, what worked and what I have learned.

My insurance settlement on the bike has been figured out and I have learned a bit through the process. Let's start with what I have for coverage: I used Progressive Insurance for the bike and I had full coverage for the FJR regarding collision, comprehensive, etc. I had declined the available medical rider knowing I had health insurance in place and my policy also allowed a maximum allowance of $3000 for clothing and upgrades on the bike.

1) Medical Insurance. I am not sure what the cost/coverage would have been, but I will re-look at that next time around. My health care has covered me very well but I am wondering if the progressive portion may have contributed to my deductible and dollars lost from being out of work. Don't know these answers. Surprised my health coverage company hasn't pitched a fit.

2) Clothing and upgrade allowance. You wreck your much farkled bike, and this suddenly becomes important. I ind of keep track of my costs anyway and knew with my seats, suspension, zumo, comm gear, and much more that I had some big dollars tied up. More than the allowance would cover. Receipts were required and I came up with all but two or three and that was more than enough to get the max payout.

3) Getting stuff from the bike. Not talking personal affects, talking your farkles. If you or your buddies don't get the stuff before the wrecker gets the bike, it is tough sledding. Don't count on getting your old stuff back if the bike is totaled unless you find a way to buy the bike back. I had good dollars attached to mine and it still was not worth buying the bike back. Kind of a bummer. I may still try to bid on it at auction, but the auction yard thinks they will easily get $3500.

4) Progressive. I am NOT a fan of insurance or insurance companies. I may have to get over it because I have received way more back from insurance than I have ever put in. As near as I can tell, Progressive has taken good care of me. They valued my 07 AE with 20K on it at 9100, they tossed in 811 for taxes I paid, and tossed in $63 for the DMV fees. I got the max of $3000 for the upgrades. From that, a $250 deductible was taken out. Check to me will be roughly $12,700 which seems fair-ish. My only beef is that more toy coverage would have been good. They have been quick and easy to work with, even nagged me to get this moving rather than the other way around.

5) Because my get-off was attributed to a deer strike - this gets written against my comprehensive. No change in coverage but it does go in the no-fault category which is good.

Thanks again for the blow by blow on your get off. Good to hear that Progressive has done well by you. I have them as well (thru USAA which nets me a nice little discount). I do not have enough farkles at this point to consider the $3k insufficient but I haven't kept track of receipts nearly as well as I should be.

My experience with Progressive was identical (Excellent, IMO) with my double-deer strike. My losses weren't as severe as yours, though. My bike was not totaled. Due to your experience, I'm jumping online now to increase my Farkle Protection to the next level. I've been well covered in the past but with the FJR now, I have far more trinkets onboard to lose.

I do carry the MedPay and used it. It won't cover any out of work losses but it WILL cover the Med Expenses up to whatever limit you have chosen, 10k, 25k, ???. As in my case, you should expect a letter from your Health Insurer wanting to know if you have "other" available coverage. They'll be looking to put somebody else on the hook if another policy covers it. As for missed work, we carry AFLAC for that.

Ya guys, keep on buying leather
:D
You like the view, Barb?

You should see how well it works in our Spring and Summer heat waves when it's 100 degrees+ for days........most of the "leather guys" don't ride.

.............bikes.

I am sure they could ride other things?
Yea, but they don't need to "buy" leather suits for that - they can ride in the leather suit they were born in, with a latex/polyurethane/polyisoprene helmet for protection. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I do carry the MedPay and used it. It won't cover any out of work losses but it WILL cover the Med Expenses up to whatever limit you have chosen, 10k, 25k, ???. As in my case, you should expect a letter from your Health Insurer wanting to know if you have "other" available coverage. They'll be looking to put somebody else on the hook if another policy covers it. As for missed work, we carry AFLAC for that.
BR, it's great to hear that you and Colleen are doing well, considering the circumstances. I wish you both Godspeed in your recoveries. Through your unfortunate experience you have raised many excellent points that we can all put in the bank of knowledge for future draws that will hopefully keep us all just a little safer in the long run.

Being an insurance professional I generally try to post up when insurance questions arise. Like you, I want to help others by sharing what little knowledge I can in areas of my expertise.

Med Pay (or Personal Injury Protection / PIP in some states) will pay for your out of pocket medical expenses, up to the maximum of your available coverage. From Progressive's own website https://motorcycle.progressive.com/motorcycle-coverages.aspx wherein medical payments are discussed ---

"Medical Payments (MedPay) coverage pays the cost of necessary medical care you receive as a result of a motorcycle accident and can be used regardless of who is at fault. MedPay often is limited to medical treatment received within the first three years after an accident and is limited to a specific dollar amount. In some states, MedPay only applies after other medical insurance is exhausted.

Example

You sustain $2,000 in injuries from a fall off your bike when you turned too quickly. You do not have any health insurance, which means you can use your MedPay coverage, up to the $1,000 limit you selected, for your injuries. You are required to pay the other $1,000 in medical bills."

What this means in common speak is that if you have health insurance coverage, you can use your MedPay coverage to cover your health insurance deductibles. If you don't have health insurance, your MedPay will cover all of your medical bills up to the amount of your coverage limits only.

Personally, I carry $10,000 in med pay coverage on my bike. I, too, like Tree Doc, have had to file a claim under my Med Pay coverage due to a get off. Although the other person was at fault, I had to use my health care coverage for my treatment and surgery. My Med Pay coverage has covered my out of pocket expenses such as deductibles and Rx expenses I have incurred. Ultimately, when I settle my personal injury claim with the at fault party, I will have to reimburse my health insurance carrier from my settlement proceeds up to the amount of their lien under their subrogation rights.

On that note regarding subrogation, if there was not an at fault party (which there is in my case), and the accident were purely my fault (which in no way is the situation in my case), I would not be responsible for reimbursing my health care provider. That get's a little off topic for the purposes of this post so I'll stop there. But, as always, if you or anyone else has insurance questions I can help you with, do not hesitate to send me a PM. I'll assist in any way I can.

First and foremost - GET WELL SOON!

Check to me will be roughly $12,700 which seems fair-ish.

Sounds like a pretty good settlement. If you can stand to have a clutch lever, Andre's bike mught be a great deal for you and leave you plenty to farkle to fit you and Colleen and get some top notch gear.

P.S. we are in Moab tonight on our family walk about. Keep on getting well!

Check to me will be roughly $12,700 which seems fair-ish.

Sounds like a pretty good settlement. If you can stand to have a clutch lever, Andre's bike mught be a great deal for you and leave you plenty to farkle to fit you and Colleen and get some top notch gear.

P.S. we are in Moab tonight on our family walk about. Keep on getting well!
Sold me thinks.

More good information David. Thanks for the updates. Definitely going to check coverage on the scoot now and see *exactly* where it stands regarding extras.

Too late on Andre's bike...Pops already made the deal and should be picking it up very soon.

--G

For those of you who enjoy pictures of hardware installed in and around various body parts, this link's for you.

This is a pictorial of the various fixes applied to me and Colleen. You can click on slide show, but that function is sometimes sketchy. Your other option is to select the first pic individually and then just click next as you are ready to move along.

Don't go if you are creeped out by broken bones and screws.

Don't go if you are creeped out by broken bones and screws.
Cool, BR!

Welcome to MY world :) Tonight's fare was a broken wrist and a broken proximal humerus (like Colleen's) except our guy got "only" 9 screws vs. Colleen's 17 (did I count correctly?)

That's a hell of a hardware store between the two of you. Good to see you yesterday!

Boy, Dave, take about getting screwed.. wonder about those metal detectors at the airport. You two might make them sing.

Worry about ya and send ya some of the best mojo!

You guys won't get to go to the tall trees in person but you will be there with us next week.

Talk about getting screwed from every angle...those DR's need some lessons in symmetry!

Great seeing you two yesterday! Keep the spirits up and give the bones time to heal. My SO has plans brewing for Colleen, so stay tuned.

--G

Jeez, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but looking at that no. 18, well, they left a freakin' pair of SCISSORS in ya!

:dribble: