Been a while since some Cruiser Bashing...Well I got a new bike.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deagle

Reaction score
Have had a 2001 Shadow 1100 since new. It's been a great and reliable bike. No valve adjustments ever needed, just tires and oil over the years. I've had the FJR since 2003. FJR always the main bike, but the Shadow provided a nice, relaxing, change of pace. Well, lately I got an itch. Wanted a bigger cruiser to haul my large food-loving, bourbon drinking frame around. Brought this home a couple of weeks ago. Not my favorite color, but bike was very clean and looks better in person (and would look better in sun instead of overcast like in picture).

2003 Honda VTX 1800c. 8100 miles. Came with two pipes. One drilled out and a stock one. Loud one was crazy loud. I quickly put on the stock one and it's much better. Drove it home in 18 degree weather. Looking forward to a Spring ride where I can feel my hands. Right now just sits in garage (did get washed and waxed).

Flame away.

Kawasaki colors on a Honda. You're gonna get shit for that. Actually a pretty nice looking ride. If I had the funds there would be a cruiser in the fleet.

Enjoy the ride.
punk.gif

I love the color. Great looking bike - congratulations. If I didn't have other obligations firmly connected to my wallet, I'd have a cruiser, an adventure bike, and a new FJR in my garage.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda, and, as said above, they're bulletproof. Enjoy the ride; no shit from me!

So many bike types .... so little time to enjoy them all.

I think you'll enjoy this bike and that what it does, it will do well.

Have fun!!

I ride with 4 other guys that have VTX 1800s. I'm the odd duck out with my FJR and NC700. Two of the guys have done some pretty big additions, basically turning them into Honda-Davidsons (batwing, lights, saddle bags). Enjoy the VTX, they are great!

There are always a bunch of low mileage cruisers on the market.

I occasionally ride with a guy who has a Honda cruiser; 1300 I believe. Been very reliable. Takes three men and a boy to change the rear tire.

They're nice bikes. Friend of mine had the 1300 version for several years. Reliable, low maintenance, overall nice machine. You're the only one who has to like it, doesn't really matter what we all think.

Congrats

My buddy's wife bought one when she was his Fiancee'. A ruby red VTX1800. I think she rode it once around the neighborhood 2 years ago. It's been parked in the garage since then. Now that's what bashing is for. If you intend to ride it, it's all good, at least it's a Honda and not a Harley.

I just sold my '02 VTX 1800 last summer. I loved that bike but I wanted a new FJR and couldn't justify 4 bikes in the garage.

Have fun with it and check out the VTXOA board. Lot of knowledge accumulated there.

If you read the post carefully, he's asking for bashing and flaming. With that in mind...

My brother in law had an orange VTX 1300. I rode it a few times. He drilled out the pipes. I witnessed it set off car alarms on more than one occasion. It was more like a gasoline powered megaphone than a "motor"cycle. It would barely get out of it's own way despite the noise. That was good because the brakes and handling made a Huffy feel confidence-inspiring in comparison.

One day his dad (my father in law) decided to ride it while we were all at the house. He hadn't been on a bike since maybe never. He proceeded to make a YouTube moment before we all filmed everything. Dumped the clutch and in trying to hang on set off WFO down the street right into a parked car. 20 minutes later ambulance is there. Bike totaled.

Off to the hospital, MRI. No broken bones, messed up leg, but hey -- there's a major blood clot right up by his brain, totally unrelated to the wreck. Emergency surgery. Dr.'s said the wreck saved his life b/c the clot was close to doing him in and he would have never known about it. So, the VTX gave up its life to save another. I will give it kudos for that but was never sorry to see it go.

Don, what are those white globs strewn along the driveway and road? We're not familiar with it down here. ...Don

P.S. Sweet bike for a second ride.

If you read the post carefully, he's asking for bashing and flaming. With that in mind...
My brother in law had an orange VTX 1300. I rode it a few times. He drilled out the pipes. I witnessed it set off car alarms on more than one occasion. It was more like a gasoline powered megaphone than a "motor"cycle. It would barely get out of it's own way despite the noise. That was good because the brakes and handling made a Huffy feel confidence-inspiring in comparison.

One day his dad (my father in law) decided to ride it while we were all at the house. He hadn't been on a bike since maybe never. He proceeded to make a YouTube moment before we all filmed everything. Dumped the clutch and in trying to hang on set off WFO down the street right into a parked car. 20 minutes later ambulance is there. Bike totaled.

Off to the hospital, MRI. No broken bones, messed up leg, but hey -- there's a major blood clot right up by his brain, totally unrelated to the wreck. Emergency surgery. Dr.'s said the wreck saved his life b/c the clot was close to doing him in and he would have never known about it. So, the VTX gave up its life to save another. I will give it kudos for that but was never sorry to see it go.
What I read was Loud Bikes Can Save Lives.

That orange color was the best. The green is starting to grow on me.

That's a nice bike. Sorry for not bashing! I had a 2003 VTX1800-R. We loved that bike. Balls for days, and just fun to ride. I was burning through floor boards though, so I moved on to my FJR. I had a set of Vance&Hines Big Shots on it. It sounded awesome, and the power difference from stock was amazing.

A few years after I got my FJR, my brother showed up with an 1800C that a friend of his was selling. I took it for a ride, and was surprised how many times I hit the Rev limiter, looking for more pull. Haha...When I first rode my FJR, going over 5k was weird and then not long after, I began looking for a power band above 5k. Funny how we get used to things.

Have fun with that bike. You'll like it! With the V&H pipes, mine was making like 100bhp, and 108lb/ft of torque on a dyno, at 5100 feet of elevation. BTW, that 5 gallon tank is good for around 150 miles, MAX. I was usually looking for a station around 110 miles.

Don, what are those white globs strewn along the driveway and road? We're not familiar with it down here. ...Don
P.S. Sweet bike for a second ride.
Thanks!

For February, that's nothing. Was much worse when I brought it home. We're getting lucky here.

When I drove it home the main roads were clear if you don't count the potholes. Hadn't snowed in a couple of days. But the road into my subdivision was still packed down snow that had melted and froze again to pure ice. I hugged peoples lawns trying to stay on crunchy snow for the last 1/2 mile. That wasn't as bad as going up my driveway where I started to sit and spin on the driveway incline. Fishtailed back and forth with frozen hands while hoping it didn't catch some dry cement that would shoot me through the other end of the garage. New bike and not very confident with it yet, nor the oversized Winter gloves.....it was a little bit stressful. Here is a picture of the street I drove down. I took a victory picture from my car after I realized I didn't have to send broken bike pictures to the insurance company.