Been away too long!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanktar

Over the hill--and going faster!
Reaction score
Don't really have any new pics of my 2004 FJR, but I haven't ridden it since before the Pandemic. I was terrified of ending up in an ER filled with Covid patients especially during the initial surge here in NJ in 2020. We lived as hermits, rarely venturing out, doing everything by delivery, scouting out sources of even just food at first because the local supermarkets were hot spots. EVERYTHING that came into the house was sanitized, either washed, wiped with disinfected wipes, or set aside for 72 hours.

Then, in April, in the midst of this, my wife got MRSA, and the first 2 antibiotics did nothing. Finally, she had to have a PICC line installed and we had to infuse her intravenously 2x/day. Luckily, this could all be done at home--a nurse came to set the PICC and another to show us how to infuse. The antibiotic was in a pressurized container that looked the size and shape of a softball. I would take it out of the fridge 6-8 hours before she'd infuse--usually at about 8:30 am and pm to warm up--A PICC line ends near the heart. Infusion took 90 minutes. This last antibiotic went on for 3 full weeks. During it, my wife's chin looked like she had 2nd degree burns. MRSA is a highly drug-resistant form of staph, and one of the presentations of staph looked like the skin has been badly scalded. Finally, at the end of the infusion, it was June! Thankfully, she's been fine ever since and has no scarring from the infection. But this just increased our hermit behavior.

During this time, both our sons were studying virtually. When our son's HS vent virtual for 2 weeks, I told him to expect it to be for rest of the year--it was until the last month. Our older son's last semester of law school was all virtual, including his graduation ceremony. He was stuck in California, not getting East, until this past Thanksgiving, almost 2 years.

Yet we are very, very lucky. We managed to get through the Pandemic in far better shape than most. My wife's job was virtually virtual anyway, and I'm retired, and we have resources. Anyway, I figured an update was in order.

I gather some folks have sadly passed in the 3 1/2 years since I last checked in.

All the best,

Yanktar.

I

I’ve been avoiding riding also. Hope we get over Covid panic this spring!

We should get Greg/Geezer out for a Catskills Old Man Ride next year. COMR wow that sounds badass! :)

Thanks, everyone!

Tinkering is my thing. Right now, I'm working on a portable camera system for my truck when I'm plowing. I've been plowing my driveway for 25 years and the visibility thing RIGHT in front of the plow has always bugged me. I've already replaced the plow's lights with much brighter LEDs so this is next. I thought about a wireless talking to my Galaxy, but that's not as optimal as it sounds. But a 3.5" pop-up monitor and a magnetic license plate cam seems to be the thing.

Then there's figuring how to keep the Takagi tankless H/W heater running for the radiant heat. And 10,000 other tasks. My "Honey Do List" never stops expanding.

My 2002 FZ1 is down in Abaco, but the heat and the salt air are really tough on it. A hole rusted in the gas tank, batteries are killed by it, even with a Battery Tender, rubber rots faster (the rear tire valve simply broke off), the front brake-light switch isn't working (again), and even the starter relay failed. I was still able to ride it last July when I noticed the leak. Luckily, the relay failed while it was at the house. Parts? Gotta bring 'em down.

Oops! Turns out I never knew that the hood on my '14 Silverado isn't ferrous--apparently it's aluminum and so I'm looking at using suction cups instead of magnets for the camera!