Best FJR mileage ever

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you guys are getting 50+ MPG, then you're doing it wrong!
angel.gif
angel.gif

I usually get around 38mpg, sometimes a little more.

36 if I'm two up and "having fun".

The lowest was 28 mpg on a trip through the New Mexican desert moving at speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you guys are getting 50+ MPG, then you're doing it wrong!
angel.gif
angel.gif

I usually get around 38mpg, sometimes a little more.

36 if I'm two up and "having fun".

The lowest was 28 mpg on a trip through the New Mexican desert moving at speed.

Really? You have the 'nads to post this kind of a reply on a Friday? What is this forum coming to? :nono:

I'll tell you what (just for DPF sake)...

There is no Right Way or Wrong Way when it comes to enjoying these expensive toys that we've all saved all of our pennies and nickles for. Whether it was delivering newspapers, or flipping burgers at Mickey D's... or maybe you're that rich asshole lawyer charging $250 an hour plus expenses and have more money than brains.

In any case, no matter how you earned that cha-ching, it is completely yours to do with what you want.

Whether you choose to wind the throttle back at every corner apex, steer with rear tire slides, wheel stands to impress the bitches, and wear them tahs out in 2000 mile intervals while only netting 20 mpg, that is your priviledge.

Or mebbe you're that limp wristed greenie that is striving to beat your neighbor's Prius in a fuel efficiency contest, never going more than 1/8th throttle. Turning the engine off and coasting on the down hills, and at stop lights...

Or perhaps you think you are are a middle of the road guy that just likes to have a good time sometimes, but sometimes wanna raise your adrenaline a notch...

Whatever the case

Do whatever the fuck you want. It's your bike and it's your fucking privilege.

But quit trying to convince other people that they should or shouldn't do whatever you are doing.

Oh I get 55 mpg all day long... what's wrong with you

Oh I shred my tires out in 1500 miles and they are the special more expensive higher mileage ones.

Who the hell made you Dog?

FYYFF!!!
fuck.gif

(I hope the more sensitive folks out there can appreciate the Friday-centric theme to this reply)

If you can't....
bleh.gif

Ha, I miss the simpler days of the "Friday funnies" which mostly consisted of cat pictures... oh cat internet, how I miss thee.

For what it's worth I was poking fun at the whole idea of maxing out fuel economy on a sport bike. It's like bragging about maxing out fuel economy on a Corvette ;)

Remember, there's two ways of doing things. My way and the wrong way... or is it the other way around, ah F it whatever ;)

Just returned from a 2800 mile ride thru NV, AZ, NM, CO, and UT. Cruising speeds ranged from 65 to 80mph in altitudes as high as 11,000ft. Riding one up with bags and a tail bag. The average mpg was 47.5. The bike now has 4200 miles on the clock and I just changed the oil/filter and will now be using full syn. I expect the mpg will improve a bit with the syn oil.

As a side note, the 14ES is one hell of a bike! I am convinced this is everything I need in a two wheel ride!!

Just returned from a 2800 mile ride thru NV, AZ, NM, CO, and UT. Cruising speeds ranged from 65 to 80mph in altitudes as high as 11,000ft. Riding one up with bags and a tail bag. The average mpg was 47.5. The bike now has 4200 miles on the clock and I just changed the oil/filter and will now be using full syn. I expect the mpg will improve a bit with the syn oil.
As a side note, the 14ES is one hell of a bike! I am convinced this is everything I need in a two wheel ride!!
I have experienced (except different states) and agree with everything you said!

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a 110 mile ride to the coast today. First ride since changing over to Amsoil full syn. The bike was smoother shifting than my 07 but now it is like butter with the syn oil. I likewise noted the coolant temp seems to be a bit lower now. Can't praise this bike enough!!!

I clicked in here to see if I possibly need a tune-up. By comparison, I'd say I'm good.

I'm actually distracted by the "avg mpg" display, though. I've never had a vehicle with that. I've watched it read from 9 to 99.9.

But if you go by the owners' manual,

(I'm sure all of us responsible FJR owners do this)

Upshift points are as follows:

2nd - 12.5 mph

3rd - 19 mph

4th - 25 mph

5th - 31 mph

I'm sure you'd be getting 75mpg. I can't seem to do it. :)

J

I have gotten 56mpg as an all time high and 54mpg a couple times. Mainly mountain roads at elevation, not real high speeds average about 45-50MPH ???

jus got back from Americade,,some twisties, some VT hardpack [Lincoln Gap etc] , some interstate out and back . Two up , top case, 45mph secondary roads, 66 mph interstate,,49.7 average on gen3 .

Getting very close to my previous ST11.

Burned a tank with my wife this morning - easy peasy cruising 'bout 60-ish. 47.5 mpg - not too shabby.

I hesitate to expose my soft, law-abiding underbelly to some of the guys here, but what the hell! At least I know Fred will come to my defence!
winksmiley02.gif

I checked my bike-recorded average fuel efficiency yesterday. It was showing 5.2L/100 km which, according to the first online converter I clicked on, equates to just over 54 MPG overall average. I rolled into the garage with 9976 km on the odometer, so that average represents a variety of conditions and loads (mostly 2-up loaded, with some 1-up with a small load and some no-bags).

Now, some adjustments would probably be required to come up with an actual average (my speedo reads about 10%+- high - at least until I get my 190/55 this week) and I live at a relatively high altitude (close to 3,000 feet). I do ride at or, if I'm feeling like a real pylon, slightly above the posted speed limit, but I like to get to that speed fast and lean into the corners (I'm no granny rider - all due respect to the grannies here). Despite these factors, I wonder whether the Gen III bikes have a slight efficiency advantage over the earlier gens (I'm not sure what the Yamaha line is on that question as I haven't checked). Hard to account for the difference between some of the numbers in the low-to-mid 30s and my mid-50s (okay, maybe I am a granny...).

I hesitate to expose my soft, law-abiding underbelly to some of the guys here, but what the hell! At least I know Fred will come to my defence! :winksmiley02:
I checked my bike-recorded average fuel efficiency yesterday. It was showing 5.2L/100 km which, according to the first online converter I clicked on, equates to just over 54 MPG overall average. I rolled into the garage with 9976 km on the odometer, so that average represents a variety of conditions and loads (mostly 2-up loaded, with some 1-up with a small load and some no-bags).

Now, some adjustments would probably be required to come up with an actual average (my speedo reads about 10%+- high - at least until I get my 190/55 this week) and I live at a relatively high altitude (close to 3,000 feet). I do ride at or, if I'm feeling like a real pylon, slightly above the posted speed limit, but I like to get to that speed fast and lean into the corners (I'm no granny rider - all due respect to the grannies here). Despite these factors, I wonder whether the Gen III bikes have a slight efficiency advantage over the earlier gens (I'm not sure what the Yamaha line is on that question as I haven't checked). Hard to account for the difference between some of the numbers in the low-to-mid 30s and my mid-50s (okay, maybe I am a granny...).
You chose to convert to miles per UK gallon, nearer 45 miles per US gallon.

I hesitate to expose my soft, law-abiding underbelly to some of the guys here, but what the hell! At least I know Fred will come to my defence!
winksmiley02.gif

You chose to convert to miles per UK gallon, nearer 45 miles per US gallon.
Ahh, well there you go! Thanks MC.

Don't feel too awful special there, mon. I'll defend just about anyone for anything, just for sport.
I'm like the "public defender" around here. Everyone hates me but the real criminals.

tonguesmiley.gif

Au contraire, Monsieur.....

I seriously don't think "hated" even comes close to what is thought about you. Maybe "that bi-polar dink" would fit better. :p :p :lol2: