Best Mac Antivirus?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
New Mac in the house... recommendations for best AV? Will be running Windows virtually, so need AV for both platforms....

TIA

D

ive had macs for the past 8 years. never had either virus software or virus.

I'm not a fan of 'background' anti-virus software. I've used clamav for windows, mac and linux boxes.

Here's the version for mac: ClamXAV

Currently I run mac almost exclusively, with Virtualbox running windows 7 occasionally.

I scan files from unknown sources, for the extremely rare occasion I have any. I also scan files I plan to give to friends running Windoze boxes.

My local network runs behind a pretty good firewall on my router, so I'm not concerned with network exploits. Living miles away from everything also helps

BTW, congrats on the new mac. 'Once you try mac, you'll never go back!' Contact me if you have any questions about software & custom setup

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a fan of 'background' anti-virus software. I've used clamav for windows, mac and linux boxes.
Here's the version for mac: ClamXAV

Currently I run mac almost exclusively, with Virtualbox running windows 7 occasionally.

I scan files from unknown sources, for the extremely rare occasion I have any. I also scan files I plan to give to friends running Windoze boxes.

My local network runs behind a pretty good firewall on my router, so I'm not concerned with network exploits. Living miles away from everything also helps

BTW, congrats on the new mac. 'Once you try mac, you'll never go back!' Contact me if you have any questions about software & custom setup

+1, I'm also a new convert to Mac and ClamXav seems to be the most recommended anti virus soft ware. I've installed it on mine, no problems.

Never had an issue with a virus on the Mac, Unless i open Win7 through VMWare. Good thing that doesn't happen often! Absolutely hate Windows now.

Another vote for ClamXAV.

I've been running it for years on all my Macs.

The price is right too. However if you do find value with it, be sure to kick a few coins into the pot.

Brodie

:)

I, too, have VirtualBox with a W-7 instance available. I had to use this occasionally for certain software I had to use, but those vendors came out with Mac-specific versions and I haven't fired up VB/W7 in months.

The market has generally matured, where it seems most SW vendors are providing both Windows and Mac versions of their products.

Switched to ESET NOD32 for PCs before getting my first Mac. Their ESET Cyber Security is now a staple on both my Macs, my brother's Mac and their NOD32 remains the AV for my daughters' and Mom's PCs.

Fast, effective AV that doesn't try to be anything more than AV so it doesn't bog down your system.

I like that they offer a family pack that is do-able as a 5 copy mix-and-match for a reasonable price per year.

I got a copy of norton for Mac for free from my internet service provider. I usually don't like norton because it is such a utility hog but on my MacBook Pro it has been fine.

Norton here as well. It seems to work better on the mac then Windows in being a hog.

Thanks for all the help and advice, seriously appreciated.

Turns out I get free Symantec Enterprise for mac and pc from the previous gig.. so I'm trying Symantec first.

It's interesting to see the AV listed back in replies.. they were all in the top 8 list I generated on my own from doing research.

I have other mac to pc experiences too.. will post up later in a different thread.

Once again, Thank You All.

dcarver

After a lot of years of supporting S, I avoided it for personal use. As with NORTON it's a burdensome load on the OS (IMO).

Yes. Enterprise is more than just an AV. Anything that wants to protect surfing and other stuff is doing more than AV and that carries additional overhead. "Suites" like S and Norton bring extra baggage with them. We had people at work complaining all the time about the performance hit that the Enterprise version of S (mandatory use) put on their systems.

Thank You, Bounce.

Man, have I made a LOT of mistakes in this transition..

..new thread started..

rolleyes.gif
Hey Carver. Do you go to the Mac forums to get advice on motorcycles?

I haven't sipped the Apple Kool-aid (or is it Apple Juice?) but as others have mentioned, stay away from AV suites. Easiest way to turn a well-functioning machine into a dog. Sort of like putting a car tire on a MC. (Just kidding - I did that and it wasn't too bad).