Best Options For Seat Cushions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlhickey

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm a 60 year old with a sore back when I ride for distances more than a couple of hours on my bike. I already stretch daily, use an elliptical 4-5 days a week. What are my "poor man options" for a seat cusion since my wonderful wife cringes at me spending more $$$ on an upgraded seat? It seems my options are gel or an airhawk type cushion. We leave for Big Bend in 4 days. I gotta get something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if a seat cushion will solve a sore back. You might want to search the site for information on the "master yoda" position of riding the FJR, that information will probably help your back pain. You also may want to consider risers to raise your handlebars.

With that being said, I used an air hawk pad for about 4 years (to alleviate butt pain) before finally biting the bullet and buying a Russell Day Long saddle. Life is good now!!

Hey DL,

Seat comfort and the lower back are a complicated issue, I found that an aftermarket seat did the trick, besides the lower back and dead bottom end, the aftermarket seat was the only way to go, a few people have tried lambskin cover and the seat beads. A quick solution may help for an upcoming ride, but getting rid of the stock seat and its uncomfortable vinyl cover is the only way to go. There is also a few aftermarket back rests for the FJR which should also help. On long rides, I have a overnight bag strapped to the pillion using it as a back rest. Good Luck, the FJR journey has just begun.

FWFE

Seeing as you are leaving in 4 days I would buy an Airhawk R pad locally.

Not cheap at $200 but if it does not work for you can sell it and recoup a lot of your investment.

It will add a little to your seat height.

If you are leaving in four days, you might need to reconsider a last minute change.

"Everything is connected" and when you make a change in one thing it might help BUT it could shift the problem to something else.

A seat pad may help. But it will also raise you an inch, which will shift your riding position - possibly putting more weight on your hands, wrists, arms and shoulders.

A road trip sounds great. If you get a pad, be prepared to work it into the routine on an on & off basis.

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
With your short time table, sounds like an Air Hawk or perhaps beads are one solution.

Are your '07s bars adjusted in the most rearward position? That and adjusting your riding position might be a solution.

Good luck on the trip!

--G

Sore back and sore bottom are two different things.
Sore bottom = custom seat

Sore back = bar risers
+ 1. I've found highway pegs and an MV riser to be a greater contributor to overall body comfort than my Sargent seat. The ability to change the riding position really helps. It doesn't look like you'll have time to install these items before your trip so an Airhawk R may be your best bet right now.

For what it's worth, If you are average height (5'10") and not real heavy, you may find the AirHawk helpful in relieving butt fatigue. Any back pain is likely best remedied by changing your riding posture. Tried and true for me is, sit up straight then let your arms hang down and let your shoulders drop. Do not bend your back, place the balls of your feet on the pegs and put enough downward pressure on the pegs to support keeping your back straight. Let your elbows hang down. Your grip on the bars should be feather light. If you are gripping the bars or leaning on the bars you are out of the comfort zone. This takes practice and patience but it works for me and has worked for many who have adopted this posture. If you have a back problem history this may not work.

AirHawk.

Beads add air flow, and some degree of massage action, but on a long day can still get uncomfortable. Gel pads just disconnect your butt from the seat -- weird lag from bike moves to butt moves.

motorcycle ergonomics in general is complicated, and it's sometimes challenging to 'get it right'
For me, a RDL seat solved the aching butt after 3 hours problem, but increased forward lean uncomfortably.

Installation of bar risers remedied the back strain

Motorcycle ergonomics simulator
... and lowering the footpegs helps with knees and hips on long journeys.

+1 Air Hawk

The R model sounds like it may be the ticket for the FJR. I think I might have to upgrade.
smile.png

Bought mine awhile ago before the R model came out. I have a medium cruiser size. Would not go on a long ride without it.

The key is not too much air - only enough to raise your butt off the seat a fraction of an inch.

Enjoy your trip - whatever you decide.

Riding position doesn't fix wicked forward reach on the bars. A helibridge or other method of moving the bars up/back does. My wrists and back killed me (and that has never happened with any other bike) on my FJR until I moved the bars back. Money well spent. Air hawk is a relatively inexpensive pad for the seat. My seat and my butt didn't get along. I figured out that, while my hips and knees much prefer the seat in the high position, my six prefers it in the low position. Peg lowering is in my future.

I found the bar risers helped out a lot with lower back and wrist issues. I went with the EBay knock offs and they've worked out fine. Seat wise, my Laam seat was one of the best investments I've made.

Unfortunately a 4 day window doesn't give you enough time to really make these sort of changes.

I have the AirHawk Custom R.

If it works for you like it did for me on my previous bike, it should add at least 2 to 300 miles of relative comfort. Throw a good sheepskin over it and you will get more. This probably doesn't help much with back pain though, others have covered that. Ergonomics and riding position, and maybe a brace would help more.

I did my first trip to Big Bend about 3 weeks ago on my FJR and was amazed at the scenery but also enjoyed every twisty road we could find between Austin and Big Bend. Have fun! I did learn that I needed handle bar risers but that was for pressure on my wrists instead of back ache. Have you tried something simple like using a kidney belt for back support?