Best Pennsylvania Scenic Views

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ed

Reaction score
As many of you know, NER and I have spent the last few years putting together a free "Best of New England & Eastern NY" website that includes the best riding roads, views, restaurants, things to do, hotels, etc.
https://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNewEngland/BestOfNewEngland.htm

This is done as a way of giving back to the Motorcycle Community. Now I would like to expand to include the entire Northern U.S. & Canada. I would like to start with the Best Scenic Views in Pennsylvania. These would be the best views that you can ride to - the kind of views that attracts crowds of bikes.

I have just begun the page and would greatly appreciate your help. I have ridden PA but I know NY & New England a lot better. Here is what I have so far. Click the links for maps: https://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNewEngland/BestViews/PABestViews.htm

Really good stuff. I'll share this link with the Pittsburgh area meetup group Bombers MC. Several FJR Forum members and other touring riders on there that really know the area. This would be a great reference point. I have a streets and trips download I could share that is supposed to be the best routes in PA and WV region that folks use here. I wish I could say I have ridden them all, but my first summer here was kind of a loss due to Lymes. Let me know if you want the file and PM an email to send it to.

Really good stuff. I'll share this link with the Pittsburgh area meetup group Bombers MC. Several FJR Forum members and other touring riders on there that really know the area. This would be a great reference point. I have a streets and trips download I could share that is supposed to be the best routes in PA and WV region that folks use here. I wish I could say I have ridden them all, but my first summer here was kind of a loss due to Lymes. Let me know if you want the file and PM an email to send it to.
Thank you very much!

I don't know if they really count as "scenic views" but The Shoe House, Zippo Case Visitor Center, and Flight 93 attract many riders. More scenic would be Falling Waters and Ohiopyle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if they really count as "scenic views" but The Shoe House, Zippo Case Visitor Center, and Flight 93 attract many riders. More scenic would be Falling Waters and Ohiopyle.
I will put those on the "Things to Do" page when I get that far. Thanks!

The former site of the Ship Hotel on Rt 30 (ship Hotel was burned down several yrs. ago) has an excellent view. The motto then was that you can "See 3 states and seven counties". It is about 9 or 10 miles east of the entrance to Flight 93. Another great view is at the top of Three Mile Hill, this woul be east of Mount pleasant heading towards Donegal. Continuing east on Rt 31, the section east of Somerset to Wolfsburg( meets rt 30) is also scenic.

Obviously, the Grand Canyon of PA south of US 6 at Colton Point State Park.
IMAGE ADDED

I loved the views from PA 144 in the Sproul State Forest looking back north and down towards the Susquehanna River.
IMAGE ADDED

Also...PA 414 looking down over Pine Creek.
IMAGE ADDED

EDIT: Also, the overlook of the Susquehanna River at US6 near Wyalusing...

I loved the views from PA 144 in the Sproul State Forest looking back north and down towards the Susquehanna River.

Are there spots to park the bike and admire the view? Thanks!

Are there spots to park the bike and admire the view? Thanks!
At the State Park, yes.

The others, I just stopped along the side of the road. Not a whole lot of traffic on those roads.

The former site of the Ship Hotel on Rt 30 (ship Hotel was burned down several yrs. ago) has an excellent view. The motto then was that you can "See 3 states and seven counties". It is about 9 or 10 miles east of the entrance to Flight 93. Another great view is at the top of Three Mile Hill, this woul be east of Mount pleasant heading towards Donegal. Continuing east on Rt 31, the section east of Somerset to Wolfsburg( meets rt 30) is also scenic.
I found the pull off for the Ship Hotel. Where are the pull offs for the other 2 locations? Thanks!

That is Mount Ararat Viewpoint PA on US 30. It is about 2500 feet high and is one of the highest highway overlooks in PA. 2-weeks ago the Fall color here was not quite in:

fall2013038a_1024x686.jpg

Hi Tom. So the spot that I have labeled Ship Hotel Site on the map is actually called Mount Ararat Viewpoint? Thanks!

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=205424363164654509538.0004ea0df87a53a180939&msa=0

That is Mount Ararat Viewpoint PA on US 30. It is about 2500 feet high and is one of the highest highway overlooks in PA. 2-weeks ago the Fall color here was not quite in:

fall2013038a_1024x686.jpg

There is a large blue/white road sign showing Lookout Point Mt Ararat. There are ruins of the old Ship Hotel at that spot. Someone has posted a hand-written sign of the story of the Grandview Ship Hotel, but at this time there is not permanent historical marker. Penn Dot calls the lookout "Mt Ararat".

tumblr_ms7w1hH4z91sy0adxo9_1280.jpg

In the 50s or 60s it was like this.

tumblr_mt2d1sCwn01spnxg6o1_1280.jpg

One of my favorites is PA 475 between Clear Ridge and Hustontown; great views to both the east and west. View to the west yesterday:

DSC00379-2.JPG

Also PA 16 between Cove Gap and McConnellsburg; great view at the top with a big gravel area to pull over. Rt. 30 from the Rt. 75 intersection west to the Rt. 522 interchange; there's a restaurant at the top with a great view. Further west, Chaneysville Rd. runs from PA 326 at Chaneysville to PA 26 at Clearville; like 475, it runs along the top of a ridge with great views to the east and west.

Route 6 running the entire length of PA in the north is a great motorcycling road. Wellsboro is a quaint town and there is a really interesting walking tour of the town that you can do in less than an hour. Farther west on Rt.6, Coudersport is another very nice small town to visit. I love the area around Johnstown and spend a fair amount of time out there. Lots of nice roads, interesting history.

Thank You! I have included the two that you mentioned has pull offs on the map: https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=205424363164654509538.0004ea0df87a53a180939&msa=0&ll=40.988192,-77.640381&spn=5.821051,12.689209

Are there any places to pull over for the other two. If not, we may be able to include them on the Best Roads page.

Thank you for taking the time.

Route 6 running the entire length of PA in the north is a great motorcycling road. Wellsboro is a quaint town and there is a really interesting walking tour of the town that you can do in less than an hour. Farther west on Rt.6, Coudersport is another very nice small town to visit. I love the area around Johnstown and spend a fair amount of time out there. Lots of nice roads, interesting history.
One of my favorites is PA 475 between Clear Ridge and Hustontown; great views to both the east and west. View to the west yesterday:

DSC00379-2.JPG

Also PA 16 between Cove Gap and McConnellsburg; great view at the top with a big gravel area to pull over. Rt. 30 from the Rt. 75 intersection west to the Rt. 522 interchange; there's a restaurant at the top with a great view. Further west, Chaneysville Rd. runs from PA 326 at Chaneysville to PA 26 at Clearville; like 475, it runs along the top of a ridge with great views to the east and west.
There is a large blue/white road sign showing Lookout Point Mt Ararat. There are ruins of the old Ship Hotel at that spot. Someone has posted a hand-written sign of the story of the Grandview Ship Hotel, but at this time there is not permanent historical marker. Penn Dot calls the lookout "Mt Ararat".

tumblr_ms7w1hH4z91sy0adxo9_1280.jpg

In the 50s or 60s it was like this.

tumblr_mt2d1sCwn01spnxg6o1_1280.jpg

Thank You. Route 6 will be included on the Best Roads page.

There is a gravel parking area at the Clear Ridge community center where a group might pull over

DSC00378-2.JPG

There's no dedicated pullover on Chaneysville Rd.; the views pretty much are the whole way from Chaneysville to Clearview. Individuals or small groups might be able to stop in the road for pictures; the traffic is light to nonexistent.

Great pic! Thank You.

There is a gravel parking area at the Clear Ridge community center where a group might pull over
DSC00378-2.JPG

There's no dedicated pullover on Chaneysville Rd.; the views pretty much are the whole way from Chaneysville to Clearview. Individuals or small groups might be able to stop in the road for pictures; the traffic is light to nonexistent.

My post above has been edited to add a few pictures from my 2007 trip through some areas in PA I saw between the first CFR in Huntsville and EOM in WV.

I have photos of the Shanksville Memorial...but I don't think you need that.