Best Place for Tires in NO VA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog9

Reaction score
Hey guys, just PCS'd (permanent change of station) from Colorado to Alexandria VA, took the wife on a trip up to the fingerlakes this weekend and the rear Z-6 Metzler is showing chords. Need a new set of tires, but dont know who to trust/go to for service.

Planning on the Road Smarts, and need a recommendation on where you go, and whether I am better off mail ordering and local M&B or just the local dealer? I normally hook up with guys/a shop who M&B for free for me, but dont know anyone here yet.

Thanks!

P.S. Funny how a tire can go from 'looking great' to chowing chords in 100 miles. :dribble:

Hey guys, just PCS'd (permanent change of station) from Colorado to Alexandria VA, took the wife on a trip up to the fingerlakes this weekend and the rear Z-6 Metzler is showing chords. Need a new set of tires, but dont know who to trust/go to for service.
Planning on the Road Smarts, and need a recommendation on where you go, and whether I am better off mail ordering and local M&B or just the local dealer? I normally hook up with guys/a shop who M&B for free for me, but dont know anyone here yet.

Thanks!

P.S. Funny how a tire can go from 'looking great' to chowing chords in 100 miles. :dribble:
Only have had one set of tires changed (which I bought mail order) but I can give you my opinion on service in this area:

I bought my FJR at Blalock in Warrenton and have had excellent service from them including some major work. I will always go to them first. They have been very reasonable on price compared to what other dealers ask. That stated, the one time I had tires changed I had it done at Loudoun Motorsports in Leesburg because Blalock was slammed and could not fit me in on short notice. Loudoun did the job just fine.

I have not heard great things about Coleman (either location) and I would not use Champion in Sterling after chatting with the service manager.

Don't have any experience with Cyclesport in Alexandria. There is a brand new (very nice) store in Manassas. They may be eager for new business if you want to give them a call.

BTW, would love to get M&B for free, but around here (closer to the city) expect to pay close to $200 for two wheels if they are removing them.

Hope that helps.

SS

I agree with the Coleman's comment, enough said. I've never had any work done at Blalocks, but have heard good things. I stopped by the new place in Manassas, forget the name, and it's a Yami only bike shop which is good. I asked for a guesstimate on a valve check and they came back with $637 - pretty high unless I'm mistaken; Blalocks was around $550. I'll be honest with you, I haven't had a good feeling about any bike place I've been to in N. Va.

I've bought my tires from SWMoto and had them mounted (I take the wheels off the bike) at Fredericksburg Motorsports and Morton's BMW. While they were, repeat were, reasonable a year ago - they now both charge $60 per wheel to do the work (remember I brought them the wheels). I bought the Harbor Freight tire changer and Marc Parnes balancer and do them myself.

I had my ignition switch recall done at Loudoun Motorsports in Leesburg. The service manager( i think) I talked to seemed familar with the FJR. I spent a few minutes talking with him and felt comfortable with their shop upon leaving. I haven't met the tech themselves though, but have not heard anything negative about them as of yet. I am a member of the local sportbike forum as well and as far as I know results have been positive there. His quote for Valve service was a little under $500.

The new Yamaha dealer in manassas is Colgan powersports. Seems to get good reviews so far, But I have not been there personally. Try going to DCsportbikes.net for more info on them.

I work at a car dealership in Sterling and use our machine to mount my own tires. So far I have done 3 rear, and 2 fronts on my bike, and a friend's CBR600 with good results. Piece of cake. If you want to take your wheels off and bring them over I will throw them on for ya. I know, i'm not around the corner, but will save you a buck or two. As far as balancing, my friend gave me a Harbor freight balancer for some work on his truck, but I haven't used it yet. The Pilot Road 2's I put on don't seem to be an issue till around over speeds I rarely see on the highway.

The original subject though was where to get tires? I have been finding the better deals online these days.

Thanks guys, will make some calls today, and find out. Rumor has it Cyclesport charges $35 a tire off the bike. Definately need to check out the new store in Manassas, COleman seems to be the biggest dealer for accessories & such, and they dont seem all that great.

Thanks guys, will make some calls today, and find out. Rumor has it Cyclesport charges $35 a tire off the bike. Definately need to check out the new store in Manassas, COleman seems to be the biggest dealer for accessories & such, and they dont seem all that great.
For basic stuff, I guess you could take it anywhere, but when I need work, I take it to Blalock. I live near Champions in Sterling and took it there for the annual safety inspection, but won't do it again. Coleman is good for accessory shopping.

I'm taking my bike to Blalock's tomorrow to get my PS2 (bought during a recent group buy) installed. While there, they will trouble shoot my ABS. I think the sensors are gunked up, but was unable to free the sensors myself to check and clean.

Blalock fixed my ticker (for free) and seem well informed about the FJR. I tend to do my research here on this forum, then go to them for help/opinions. I did it with my "ticker" and recently self diagnosed a failing cam chain tensioner, which they repaired. It's an hour each way to get there, but worth the trip for me.

Jon T, I appreciate your comments. I had heard that Blalock's had fixed a ticker they sold and the owner was happy with the results; glad you confirmed that. I need a valve check, actually needed it done 11k ago, and I'll most likely go there. It is hard to find a place with folks you can trust. I've done all the work on Matilda that I could do and frankly let the valve check slide because I didn't know where to go, and with the posts here it seemed the vast number of checks ended with the valves in spec, so I accepted the risk. I'll let them know you recommend them.

Jim

EDIT - who did you deal with?

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased my FJR, '08 from Cyclesport in Alexandria and it was a very good experience. They were extremely helpful and friendly. Since I live in So. MD, I do not have the bike serviced there so I can't comment further, except that since they are in close you might want to check them out.

Over the years, I've tried most of the shops mentioned in this thread -- and won't go back to most of them (Blalock is the exception to that rule). Since you just need tires, don't limit yourself to Yamaha shops. Fairfax Kawasaki has a good rep, and Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg will take care of you as well. Out West where I am now, Valley Cycle in Winchester is my dealer of choice.

Thanks for the advice guys, FYI Coleman wants $30/wheel off the bike, and CycleSport $35. Being that Cyclesport is litterally 2 miles from my house, it pays to go there. I've never taken a motorcycle to a dealer for service, do all my own wrenching. Hope I never need to, but with some of the electronics, you never know....