Best price on Michelin or Dunlop?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michelin is offering a great deal until July 31. I'm gonna buy a second set of PR5's and store them in a dark corner...Michelin.com....

Not that it matters, but I am going to try a set of Michelin Pilot Powers.  Found them for $254.08 to my door for the set. I hope they last as long as my current tires.

(I love PR2s, except for the front tire in the last third of its life)

Not that it matters, but I am going to try a set of Michelin Pilot Powers.  Found them for $254.08 to my door for the set. I hope they last as long as my current tires.

(I love PR2s, except for the front tire in the last third of its life)
Pilot Power not Pilot Road?

Pilot Power not Pilot Road?
Yeah, I have a riding buddy that rides pretty well (He finished second 2 years running in the old CRA (Central Racing Association, I think), and he has run a set on his ZX-6, and said they lasted as long as a more sport-touring-oriented tire, and the tire performance never waned during the life of the tire. That, and they were only $34 or so more for a set than the PR2s.  The FJR weighs as much as seven ZX-6s, so I got that against me.  This is an experiment; I only get about 3k to 3.5k miles out of the PR2s, so I'm crossing my fingers that I can get that many out of the Roads.  I'm not very bright, but I'm willing to learn, and I will share any knowledge I gain. Wish me luck.

My 04 FJR came with some Pilot Powers from previous owner. Good tire but if I think I only got half the mileage as sport/touring tires.

Thanks.  I just scored 2 rears.  Never really liked the fronts.  But a great deal.  Will pair them with something else up front. 

Just holed a rear Dunlop Roadsmart 2.  Riding on an unpaved road and a piece of shale put a hole in it that took 4 sticky strings to plug.  The tire spit the 4 strings out 10 miles down the road.  Put my last 4 plugs in and left the pressure low enough, and rode slow enough to make it 50 miles back home.  Pulled the Dunflop off the back and put an ancient 1/2 worn PR2 on and I’m back in business.  And it feels fine, like they always did.  It’s just the front PRs that I could never gel with.

I just ordered a set of Michelin Road 5 from Motomummy for $384 delivered.

I'm still running PR2 so the Road 5 should be a big improvement.

For those worried about “old rubber” from Amazon on the PR2’s, I received my two rear PR2s in the stock 185/55ZR17 size for $120 ea. and both were date coded in 2020.  Still plenty of time to use them up.  Also bought a Pirelli Angel ST for $87 for the front end from Amazon, date coded 2021.  If their date codes had been old, with Amazon it’s a free return.  I’ll be keeping these.

For those worried about “old rubber” from Amazon on the PR2’s, I received my two rear PR2s in the stock 185/55ZR17 size for $120 ea. and both were date coded in 2020.  Still plenty of time to use them up.  Also bought a Pirelli Angel ST for $87 for the front end from Amazon, date coded 2021.  If their date codes had been old, with Amazon it’s a free return.  I’ll be keeping these.
Thank You Fred.