Best setup for iPhone and GPS mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cord

Reaction score
Hi all,

It's possible this has been answered in many threads before so if that's the case, please just point me in that direction.

I'm about to do my first trip that is more than a single overnighter on my '06. I picked up the bike last August, but haven't really done much to set it up for touring outside of changing the seat and the screen.

I'd like to mount both my Garmin Montana and my iPhone and am looking for advice on good, simple setups for this. I should add, as of tomorrow, I'll have the helibars top clamp on hand, so once that's installed, I know that can change my options.

Anyway, I've seen a few different offerings on various web sites for different setups, but wanted the real world feedback from users.

I should also add that I do have a Garmin Rugged mount on hand that I was going to install on my dualsport bike, but I could possibly put it on the FJR and then get another Rugged Mount for the other bike as well. That said, I'm wondering if that's overkill and just the most basic plastic mount will do the trick for the FJR.

Any advice is welcome. Pics are even better!

Thanks,

Cord

RAM Mounts are my goto for most things including iPhone, 478, and other gadgets. Google and they're everywhere, ubiquitious, and make a staggeringly large amount of options.

The only one I go otherwise with is a stem stand with a Garmin bracket secured on one FJR and Touratech on the other...but that's because my 2820 is pretty hefty and wanted it to not vibrate at all.

Personally, I like the RAM mounting equipment for mounting gadgets on any bike. It is more adaptable, can be made secure and is vibration isolating more than many other mounting systems. For a Montana I'd consider getting it up mounted on the left handlebar. They have a fairly small screen and I wouldn't want to have to squint and look down at the screen. Maybe get the iPhone mounted on the other side (in an aqua-box case) since you'll likely be playing with that less than the GPS.

I have a zumo GPS so the phone gets routes through the GPS and allows me to leave my crackberry charging in the tank bag, or else in a pocket. I don't think the Montana has that feature.

edit - seems Matt beat me to the punch, but at least we are in agreement! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another fan of Ram Mounts. Since you're changing the triple clamp to a Heli, it's easy to fit ram balls and then you have limitless options. Most of the mounts are fairly inexpensive and function quite well. I'm using a *X* mount for the iPhone and a specific cradle for my cheap Garmin GPS.

Good luck!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
it's easy to fit ram balls and then you have limitless options. Most of the mounts are fairly inexpensive and function quite well. I
I kind of noticed that somewhere between the first RAM setup I bought years ago and maybe the fourth or fifth time I bought parts...I've accumulated a drawer full of parts that I can outfit new motorcycles, bicycles, and even lawn mowers with one or more workable solutions and have to purchase a new part occasionally (e.g. an iPhone 5 bracket for $12). And I've broken one RAM part over the years. After I e-mailed a picture of the broken part...they promptly shipped a replacement for free.

Another fan of RAM here. Among various bits and pieces I use their X-mount for my phone and a GPS-specific mount for my Zumo.

Thanks for the prompt replies, everyone. The RAM options seemed the best to me overall as well, but wanted to make sure it's as seamless as it looks, or that I wasn't overlooking any potential products out there I may have missed.

Thx

Cord

I used RAM mounts for the Zumo and the Iphone goes on the X-Grip on the left. X-Grip works great for holding a phone in almost any kind of case. I use the phone for music, live radar and a second GPS if needed.

9078792483_009af61f36_z.jpg

I have the custom RAM mount that connects to the tank bolts. I originally had the iPhone RAM mount but found it a little light and would only fit the phone with no case.

So I found what i think is about the best at a reasonable cost. Everyone is familiar with the Otter Box mounts for iPhone. I picked up the one that has a plastic case, surrounded by a rubber case plus a belt clip holder that really holds the phone well.

1) Drilled two holes in the belt clip and bolted the belt clip onto a RAM mount. That gives me a really strong mount that can swivel and the phone securely mounts into it.

2) The rubber case provides some of the shock resistance that I was looking for.

3) Since it's covered almount 100%, I've driven this in pretty hard rain without any issues. It's not submersible but neither is the bike.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="maddad" data-cid="1075030" data-time="1371614238"><p>

Everyone is familiar with the Otter Box mounts for iPhone. I picked up the one that has a plastic case, surrounded by a rubber case plus a belt clip holder that really holds the phone well.<br />

<br />

1) Drilled two holes in the belt clip and bolted the belt clip onto a RAM mount. That gives me a really strong mount that can swivel and the phone securely mounts into it.<br />

2) The rubber case provides some of the shock resistance that I was looking for.<br />

3) Since it's covered almount 100%, I've driven this in pretty hard rain without any issues. It's not submersible but neither is the bike.</p></blockquote>

I have this case (Otterbox Defender) on my iPhone full time. I just use the X-mount to attach it to the bike.

You must have a better holster than I do. My phone will occasionally pop out of the holster if I'm not really careful about how I put it in.

I just picked up the X Mount; I use it on both the Tenere and the FJR and it just works. I did something a little different for my Montana, and mounted it to the RKA Luggage In Charge tank bag. This put everything (Sena SR10, power and my future ham radio) in one easy to remove place (I can grab and go in just a minute).

I have a Bags Connection tank bag that I electrified. They do sell a "hot shoe" type of tank ring mount that eliminates having to plug and unplug wires. but I went the more frugal wired route. In the bag I have my Starcom intercom, charge ports for phone or what have you, and Sena SM10 bluetooth transmitter (when I'm using it). Mounted on top of the bag I have a RAM "Power Plate" for my Radar Detector. That makes it nice as no extra flapping wires between the RD and intercom. And when it rains I just pull the rain cover over the bag and RD (which needs rain protection) together.

My zumo 550 GPS is mounted on a RAM Bone mount ahead of the tank bag, but Bags Connection also makes a GPS mount bracket that fits onto the front of their bags. That would be pretty slick for the same reasons, no extra flapping wires and all in one easily removed package. Only thing I'm not sure about is what you do for a rain cover if you have the GPS mounted on the bag?

I just installed the Bags Connection electrified tank bag set up. I run a Techmount stem mount with an Aquabox for my Garmin mounted to it. Power is supplied via the tankbag out of the front bag opening. I use the rear bag opening to run the charging cord for my Sena headset. I've been considering swapping out the stem mount for the Bags Connection gps mount that fits on their tank bag. Not to plug a particular vendor but the folks at Twisted Throttle have been real helpful to me in terms of advice and selection of farkles when I needed them. I am also putting a Ram ball on the left side where the mirror hole is just for future use. Possible Go Pro camera?

I use SlipGrip cradles, then made some simple alum rails for the stacking. Stem nut mounted. The GPS is 7". Looks and works great. Only hob-job is that I use zip-lock bags if I think it may rain. You can kinda pull it tight and tuck in behind when you lock the unit(s) in. Actually it then looks like it's built-in, but knowing this redneck behind the scenes kinda makes it a laugh-err.

Good luck w yours!

IMG_20130321_083859_393_zpse2eeac8a.jpg

IMG_20130321_083743_095_zps6aa8cf58.jpg

Picture20549_zps6579ef45.jpg

I used RAM mounts for the Zumo and the Iphone goes on the X-Grip on the left. X-Grip works great for holding a phone in almost any kind of case. I use the phone for music, live radar and a second GPS if needed.
9078792483_009af61f36_z.jpg
When I have been on the RAM site, I have not seen that reservoir mount like you have, any insight on where to get would be greatly appreciated!